Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lyricsgrabber2 Feedback & Discussion (Read 162110 times) previous topic - next topic

Lyricsgrabber2 Feedback & Discussion

Reply #50
Oh yeah, and thanks for the update.  There are some nice changes in there.

I messaged the one guy who maintains the alternative server for Leo's Lyrics but haven't received a reply.

Which are the nice changes?

I wrote an E-Mail to the address on Leo's Lyrics website, as they offer a plugin for Winamp and iTunes. Btw. the idea behind LyrDB ist amazing. Opening up a whole API for both submitting and requesting lyrics, free for every tool to use. It was really fun to implement this.
Darklyrics was a little hassle and I guess downloading lyrics from there is the slowest at the moment, as the plugin has to read the whole page, and that contains already the lyrics of every song in that album.

Also, I found that requesting lyrics for the first time after starting foobar (no matter which provider) is quite slow, but every subsequent request is faster.

Reply #51
Well, personally I like the "search all", moving the configuration options to foobar preferences, and moving the pygrabber system files.  Those were little things that have always bugged me a bit.

One more thing has always bugged me.  Sometimes quite randomly pygrabber decides to "forget" which python scripts I have installed, and I have to go back to the configuration and refresh the list.  I haven't specifically run into this bug since I started using your updates (though they've only existed for a few days), but I suspect that it's still present.  I can't consistently repeat this bug so I'm not sure what causes it, but if you can find something in the pygrabber source code that might cause this behavior I'd appreciate it.

Also, the LyrDB behavior does sound pretty cool.  It's a shame that the database isn't as large as Lyrics Plugin or Leo's Lyrics.  Another user, grimes, recently posted a new python script in the uploads section of the forum for ChartLyrics.  It seems that they use a similar API for accessing and submitting lyrics.  I'm not sure how extensive their database is, but it might be worth looking into.

EDIT:  Your post just made me think.  Why don't we try contacting the Lyrics Plugin guys and see if they'd be willing to cooperate?  I mean, they specifically make a plugin for Winamp, WMP, and iTunes.  Maybe if we asked nicely instead of scraping their pages for lyrics, they'd help.

Reply #52
Well, personally I like the "search all", moving the configuration options to foobar preferences, and moving the pygrabber system files.  Those were little things that have always bugged me a bit.

One more thing has always bugged me.  Sometimes quite randomly pygrabber decides to "forget" which python scripts I have installed, and I have to go back to the configuration and refresh the list.  I haven't specifically run into this bug since I started using your updates (though they've only existed for a few days), but I suspect that it's still present.  I can't consistently repeat this bug so I'm not sure what causes it, but if you can find something in the pygrabber source code that might cause this behavior I'd appreciate it.

Also, the LyrDB behavior does sound pretty cool.  It's a shame that the database isn't as large as Lyrics Plugin or Leo's Lyrics.  Another user, grimes, recently posted a new python script in the uploads section of the forum for ChartLyrics.  It seems that they use a similar API for accessing and submitting lyrics.  I'm not sure how extensive their database is, but it might be worth looking into.

EDIT:  Your post just made me think.  Why don't we try contacting the Lyrics Plugin guys and see if they'd be willing to cooperate?  I mean, they specifically make a plugin for Winamp, WMP, and iTunes.  Maybe if we asked nicely instead of scraping their pages for lyrics, they'd help.

Yeah, those a tiny things that bug you, but sometimes those tiny things are too much to just change them in a hotfix. It wasn't a big deal, however. But not trivial either (but it could just me, having the very first contact with plugin development in general and foobar specifically.

Okay, I don't know about that pythongrabber bug. But it has probably something to do with the .cfg file you find in your profile folder. Other than that, I don't know.

I'll look into ChartLyrics, question is, how big is their Database?

And yes, that would be a wonderful idea. I'm going to write them right away. Thank you!

Edit: Err... there is nothing on ther website... Only the two download buttons... no contact info or anything else...

Reply #53
the time var is unix time and check is some sort of hash...once that is figured out we should be good to go

Reply #54
the time var is unix time and check is some sort of hash...once that is figured out we should be good to go

I would rather go the way and asking them, but due to the lack of an E-Mail Address... :S.. Maybe someone knows someone who knows the owner... or so .. hehe.

About the check... well, as Hitchhiker says, the check changes... maybe it depends on the time, yet we still don't know how it is calculated then.

Reply #55
I've just fixed a little problem with the progressbar, was more aesthetical but it really bugged me (when using search all the progressbar jumped back and forth instead of really progressing...)

Code: [Select]
0.3.5.1 Beta:
  - fixed progressbar behaviour

0.3.5.0 Beta:
  - foo_lyricsgrabber2:
    - fixed in config windows quite to quiet
    - added Darklyrics to the providers
    - added AZ Lyrics to the providers
    - added LyrDB
    - removed lyricsplugin until a fix is known
    - adjusted processbar for "search all"-function
    - Added support for multi value Artist tags
    - Added configuration page to preferences
    - Removed some typos
    - Moved configuration to preferences

- foo_grabber_python:
    - changed system path to foobar2000 profile

0.3.2.0 Alpha:
  - Context Menu isn't in the legacy commands section anymore
  - Added "Search All" to the Context Menu to provide a one-click method to search all built-in providers
  - Compiled against the new SDK (05/21/2010)

Reply #56
Anyway, as there are now 3 Providers built-in I guess most of the songs get their lyrics  Hopefully.

Not me, many albums doesn't receive lyrics. Hopefully lyricsplugin will work again in future.

Between: I still have the issue that grabberpython won't load because of missing dependencies. I switched 3 weeks ago to Win7 (64). On my old XP i have installed several runtime libraries. Can someone tell me which one i need for the fresh install of my OS?

Reply #57
Anyway, as there are now 3 Providers built-in I guess most of the songs get their lyrics  Hopefully.

Not me, many albums doesn't receive lyrics. Hopefully lyricsplugin will work again in future.

Between: I still have the issue that grabberpython won't load because of missing dependencies. I switched 3 weeks ago to Win7 (64). On my old XP i have installed several runtime libraries. Can someone tell me which one i need for the fresh install of my OS?

Pythongrabber only needs the python25.dll to operate. It works on a vanilla installation of Windows 7 x64 on my virtual machine with no problem.

And those albums did, when using lyricsplugin? Too bad I can't find an URL... err... Do you find your lyrics on Leo's Lyrics?

PS: just out of curiosty.. "between"? Did you men "btw = by the way"?

Reply #58
Pythongrabber only needs the python25.dll to operate. It works on a vanilla installation of Windows 7 x64 on my virtual machine with no problem.
Will test that! Everything is installed correctly. As far as i know from german forum other users made the same experience!

And those albums did, when using lyricsplugin?
Yep, it seems to be bigger and better.

PS: just out of curiosty.. "between"? Did you men "btw = by the way"?
Hmmm, i read sometimes in postings "btw" and thought it is abbrevation for "between" - i guess it means "by the way". Don't ask me why i ...! 

Reply #59
I just wanted to point out a small bug.  I'm not sure how you're querying AZ Lyrics, but it's reporting "Failed" for tracks whose lyrics are  present in that database.  Additionally, if I use the built-in AZ Lyrics it reports "Failed", but if I use my python AZ Lyrics script, it works fine.

Here's how I've been accessing that database:
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
import encodings.utf_8
import urllib
from xml.dom import minidom
from grabber import LyricProviderBase

class AZLyrics(LyricProviderBase):
    def GetName(self):
        return "A-Z Lyrics"

def GetVersion(self):
        return "1"

def GetURL(self):
        return "http://www.azlyrics.com"

def Query(self, handles, status, abort):
        result = []

for handle in handles:
            status.Advance()

if abort.Aborting():
                return result

artist = handle.Format("[%artist%]")
            title = handle.Format("[%title%]")

try:
                string = urllib.urlopen("http://search.azlyrics.com/search.php?q=%s+%s" % (urllib.quote(artist), urllib.quote(title))).read()
                result_start = string.find("<b>1.</b>")
                url_start = string.find("<a href=\"", result_start) + 9
                url_end = string.find("\"", url_start)
                url = string[url_start:url_end]

lyrics_string = urllib.urlopen(url).read()
                lyrics_string = lyrics_string[lyrics_string.find("<!-- END OF RINGTONE 1 -->") + 26:lyrics_string.find("<!-- RINGTONE 2 -->")]
                lyric = lyrics_string[lyrics_string.find("<br>") + 15:lyrics_string.find("<br><br><br><br>") - 1]
                lyric = lyric.replace("<br />","")
                result.append(lyric)
            except Exception, e:
                traceback.print_exc(file=sys.stdout)
                result.append('')
                continue

return result

if __name__ == "__main__":
    LyricProviderInstance = AZLyrics()

I'm not sure what the differences are, but I felt it's worth mentioning.

Reply #60
@Hitchhiker:

I have a little different approach. I try to go directly to the website, without using the search. But I can see the error in this. I must convert the artist and title to lower case and leave out anything non-alphanumeric (including whitespace). I will update that, to your approach. Thank you.

@stankovic:
That is strance.. try this please: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Reply #61
Will test that! Everything is installed correctly. As far as i know from german forum other users made the same experience!
It's probably because msvcr71.dll is missing, which is needed by python25.dll.

@stankovic:
That is strance.. try this please: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
This will not help, see above. You need to deploy msvcr71.dll together with python25.dll (see also here)

BTW: A good tool to determine dependencies is Dependency Walker

Reply #62
Didn't think it was a python25 issue. But I won't deploy the runtime, because it can be downloaded for free anyway. *add the url to the install.txt*

I know dependency walker. Helped me a lot when I couldn't get foobar to load my dlls.

Edit: Once the files are on google code, you can download a fixed version for the AZ Lyrics provider

Changelog:
0.3.5.2:
  - fixed AZ Lyrics provider

You can now download the newst version  Have fun!

Reply #63
At last, it works! Thanks fbuser!

One issue to report: so far i couldn't find any lyrics with LyrDB. Strange is following: When i try search with that provider, the search doesn't last not even one second and poup of lyricsgrabber window appears.

Reply #64
At last, it works! Thanks fbuser!

One issue to report: so far i couldn't find any lyrics with LyrDB. Strange is following: When i try search with that provider, the search doesn't last not even one second and poup of lyricsgrabber window appears.

Very strange... Worked for me with every song I tried.. Over Blackmore's Night to Ensiferum...

Reply #65
Ok, i went to LyrDb Site to search for albums i have, checked the correct spelling, tried the search and ... it works! Guess, I have strange music. So far indeed the LyricsPlugin was matching best my taste. 

I've just fixed a little problem with the progressbar, was more aesthetical but it really bugged me (when using search all the progressbar jumped back and forth instead of really progressing...)

Another aesthetical problem that really bugs me: Couldn't the context menu entry "Python" be renamed to "Scripts" - makes more sense and furthermore indicates better for other users on my PC what is meant: "Hey, what is Python??"

Reply #66
I dont know if this is considerable request but i would love it.
Today ive tried to find Heidevolk - Vlammenzee lyric on DarkLyrics. It is there: http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/heidevolk...udegrond.html#3... but it is tagged as "Vlammenzee (Sea Of Flames)"

Can we implement something like this (if i undesrtood you right you have whole page cached anyway):
try find lyrics for title as it is
if (notfound): drop everything behind "feat." keyword (if found) and try again on same result.
if (still not found): drop everything behind "(" char (if found) and try again

I know that this is not at all best solution (probably should be implemented via regexp) but i would love it so i dont have to rename whole album just to find lyrics. Maybe there can be some checkbox for this in darklyrics provider settings.

Reply #67
Didn't think it was a python25 issue. But I won't deploy the runtime, because it can be downloaded for free anyway. *add the url to the install.txt*

I know dependency walker. Helped me a lot when I couldn't get foobar to load my dlls.

Edit: Once the files are on google code, you can download a fixed version for the AZ Lyrics provider

Changelog:
0.3.5.2:
  - fixed AZ Lyrics provider

You can now download the newst version  Have fun!

I had one of the first versions installed and i think i made the update to the last version as you described it in the txt-file, but when i start foobar now i get this message:
"foo_grabber_python: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 4, in <module>
ImportError: No module named traceback"

Reply #68
I dont know if this is considerable request but i would love it.
Today ive tried to find Heidevolk - Vlammenzee lyric on DarkLyrics. It is there: http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/heidevolk...udegrond.html#3... but it is tagged as "Vlammenzee (Sea Of Flames)"

Can we implement something like this (if i undesrtood you right you have whole page cached anyway):
try find lyrics for title as it is
if (notfound): drop everything behind "feat." keyword (if found) and try again on same result.
if (still not found): drop everything behind "(" char (if found) and try again

I know that this is not at all best solution (probably should be implemented via regexp) but i would love it so i dont have to rename whole album just to find lyrics. Maybe there can be some checkbox for this in darklyrics provider settings.

Since your request, I changed the algorithm a little. originally it compared every link at the beginning using Levenshtein algorithm (which calculates the edits necessary to convert one string to another).. In your Case, comparing Vlammenzee with Vlammenzee (Sea of Flames) it would be about 15 changes... that exceeds the threshold, unfortunately.
But now I had the idea, why not first test if the title is contained in the title that is displayed on darklyrics... In case of your Vlammenzee it is and it would immediately take that choice... But this is the theory, if that works in reality that well, I can't promise. After a few changes I will post the update.

@MuffPotter:

It seems, that something is missing from python, or it doesn't find it. Make sure, the system folder is in this path: (foobar profile)\pygrabber\ ... The Link posted this exact error on the first page, maybe you can ask him, how he got rid of it (and possibly let me know so I can either prevent it or tell others what to do when this error occurres)

Reply #69
@MuffPotter:

I've just checked myself. The system folder seems to be inaccessible. Make sure you find it in %appdata%\foobar2000\pygrabber\

Reply #70
@MuffPotter:

I've just checked myself. The system folder seems to be inaccessible. Make sure you find it in %appdata%\foobar2000\pygrabber\

Now I moved the pygrabber folder in my profile folder (...AppData\Roaming\foobar2000\) and it works. Before i had it just in the "C:\Program Files\foobar2000\" folder which i thought is what you mean with: "(4) Copy pygrabber directory and all its contents to foobar2000\ directory"
But i have to copy it in the ...AppData\Roaming\foobar2000\ folder, right?

Reply #71
@MuffPotter:

Now I moved the pygrabber folder in my profile folder (...AppData\Roaming\foobar2000\) and it works. Before i had it just in the "C:\Program Files\foobar2000\" folder which i thought is what you mean with: "(4) Copy pygrabber directory and all its contents to foobar2000\ directory"

Argh... I must have overlooked that point... of course is this misleading... Yes, it should be the profile folder not the program folder!

I'm currently uploading verion 0.3.6.0. There the install.txt is also corrected.
here the change log:

0.3.6.0:
  - foo_lyricsgrabber2
    - fixed Darklyrics
    - sort context menu

- foo_grabber_python
    - corrected "Install.txt"
    - renamed Python to Scripts in contextmenu and preferences

Reply #72
@MuffPotter:

Argh... I must have overlooked that point... of course is this misleading... Yes, it should be the profile folder not the program folder!

I'm currently uploading verion 0.3.6.0. There the install.txt is also corrected.
here the change log:

0.3.6.0:
  - foo_lyricsgrabber2
    - fixed Darklyrics
    - sort context menu

- foo_grabber_python
    - corrected "Install.txt"
    - renamed Python to Scripts in contextmenu and preferences

No problem. I'm glad that I could help a little bit improving this plugin. You make a really great job!

Reply #73
Thank you very much. The funny thing is.. I didn't intend to do that much. Originally I just wanted to get LyricsPlugin running again... the rest followed... hehe.

Reply #74
Thanks to the admins I can now change the first post. So for the future you'll find the complete changelog there
Thank you for your support!