Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DVI or HDMI? (Read 7483 times) previous topic - next topic

DVI or HDMI?

Hello everyone,

Often when one speaks of the high definition TV, one thinks about the video and the audio. 
But that to say the connector industry 

I would like to know what is the cord or the cable that permit to answer to the source really audiovisual HD. 
Of course, one separates all accessory of performance of returned it concerning picture: scaler / HD videoprojector. 

The opinions are the welcome

DVI or HDMI?

Reply #1
HDMI is an (drm) extended version of DVI so there is no audio-visual difference.

DVI or HDMI?

Reply #2
Thank you for your precisions.

A thing, what is therefore the interest to possess a HDMI adapter / DVI? 

I challenge myself because the S-VHS adapter / VHS or VHS / S-VHS in the domain of the video will never produce the S-VHS. 
There would be a real difference between these two products or it is just the convenient side that differs.

DVI or HDMI?

Reply #3
Converting s-video to composite isn't lossless because s-video carries the information in a much more accurate way. Both DVI and HDMI carry the video in same format and keep it in digital domain so there is no quality degradation when going from DVI to HDMI or vice versa.

DVI or HDMI?

Reply #4
Thank you Latexxx

DVI or HDMI?

Reply #5
Hello Latexxx,

Sorry, It's again me. 
The binary debit of the HDMI allowst it an active work beyond the MLP, more of 192Khz (stereo).

DVI or HDMI?

Reply #6
HDMI can carry audio but DVI doesn't carry audio at all.

DVI or HDMI?

Reply #7
I know it, but it was not my question. 
Can you inform myself on the debit binary maximun that the HDMI cable can transport ?

DVI or HDMI?

Reply #8
HDMI has 5 Gbps of bandwidth if that is what you are trying to ask.

DVI or HDMI?

Reply #9
Good evening Latexxx

I browsed the web to deepen my approach better. 

Apparently, the HDMI hold is at a time "powerful" more convivial and more compact than its sister DVI. 
Indeed, it transports 5Gbts, therefore useful at any non pressed signal and, allow (what interested me) a signal audio multi channel (active until 8 channels) or stereo (active until the 192 khz), identical in the MLP. 
It is magnificent. 
In addition, it is a reality that distinguishes itself of the lounges of the Cedia and the CES Las Vegas, all disconcerted sectors (Plasma, LCD, DVD..) present on big marks: Pioneer, Meridian, Sony, Ayre, Linn, Panasonic, ect,... 

In short, to be straightforward i think that this interface who assures The Dialogue between the materials and that can compared himself to a lower-case letter taken numeric péritel is the one of the future: transportation of the audio and of the MD video / HD, a protection against the copy and allow the materials joined to communicate between them.

Sorry for the understanding and the translation.

To soon 

DVI or HDMI?

Reply #11
would less wires increase the chance for cross talk?  Obviously there is no chance if these are fiber cables, but it's my limited understanding that they are not.
I highly doubt cross talk would be an issue for either cable under average user conditions.

Regarding how it may be possible for the cable to carry multiple sources, or lets say separate auidio and video.  I'm saying this with the signals either coming from seperate sources, or going to separte sources (sources or applications, no difference here).

This would have to be implemented at higher levels than just the cable.

The drivers would have to know which applications the signals are to be sent to.

The cable itself cannot perform this function.
You can polish a piece of crap until it shines like the sun, but it's still a piece of crap.

DVI or HDMI?

Reply #12
As posted earlier by another, I prefer DVI, simply due to my paranoia concerning DRM.
"And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming." --Edgar Allan Poe, The Raven

DVI or HDMI?

Reply #13
some signal could pass in HDMI and not in DVI. (some interlaced sources)
if you're interested by more informations about that, I have that at my office (back in office on Tuesday)