Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Band on the Run" unlimited remaster (Read 44129 times) previous topic - next topic

"Band on the Run" unlimited remaster

Reply #50
The waveforms and spectra of the two versions are then so similar that I didn't bother trying to ABX them.
As far as I can see, in the samples here...
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....c=84945&hl=
...there's 1 peak of a few (12?) samples that's been reduced by about 0.5dB (sample 966828), and everything else is virtually identical. Even concentrating on that peak, I can't hear the difference. I wouldn't expect to be able to!

If only more "limiting" was like this!

I assume in the loudest parts of the album there are more squashed the peaks, and so it might become audible.

btw, it's interesting just A/B-ing the tracks without level matching. The level difference is obvious, but I bet 90% of people would also claim the louder track is brighter - probably better over all, as well as louder. Whereas once they're level matched, they sound identical. I wonder how many people have done listening tests biassed in this way?

Cheers,
David.

Reply #51
btw, it's interesting just A/B-ing the tracks without level matching. The level difference is obvious, but I bet 90% of people would also claim the louder track is brighter - probably better over all, as well as louder. Whereas once they're level matched, they sound identical. I wonder how many people have done listening tests biassed in this way?

This is one of the secrets to how to sell audio gear. Match levels by ear, which results in a random mismatch of about a dB or a few dB. Then present both alternatives along with a aales pitch about why one is obviously better.

Works just about every time!

People go into audio stores, whether brick-and-motar or web, with money to spend. To them, success is defined as actually making a decision and spending their money. All the sales people have to do is play along with them and help them complete their agenda.  It seems almost cruel to confuse them with the relevant facts.  ;-)

Reply #52
It's quite possible that the differences heard are do to less than ideal sample-rate conversion.

I think you're right. Though the argument can then be made that in an imperfect world, it's better to go with the format that's relatively immune to poor implementation, not just of standards converters but of DAC's and ADC's.