Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Making foobar close to windows tray (Read 14359 times) previous topic - next topic

Making foobar close to windows tray

I recently started using foobar 2000 as my alarm clock. But it will only work if I leave my foobar running. However when I put my laptop to sleep in the evening I often close foobar without thinking.

I would like to keep myself from accidentally closing foobar by making it close to the windows tray, like skype does. Is there maybe a component that already supports this?

I know there is a minimize to tray functionality already installed in foobar 2000. I would like it to specifically close to tray

Reply #1
If the program is closed it cannot do anything. You can create a task to start foobar2000 at a specific time using the scheduler.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #2
If the program is closed it cannot do anything. You can create a task to start foobar2000 at a specific time using the scheduler.

I know it can't do anything when it's closed that is why I want to add this functionality to make it close to tray like skype does when you press the close button, so that it doesn't actually close but is just running in the background. Sorry for being unclear.

I can indeed create a task using windows' task scheduler but I would like to keep everything in foobar.

Reply #3
He want it to go to the notification area when clicking the close-button on the window.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #4
If you don't want foobar2000 to close, then don't close it 
The 'close to tray' option isn't supported, use the forum search for more information.

Forget what I said and read marc2003s post 

Reply #5
The 'close to tray' option isn't supported

file>preferences>advanced>display>default user interface>close minimises 

Reply #6

Damn, how stupid of me! I should have looked there. Sorry for the trouble and thank you for helping!

Reply #7
Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for

Just using Foobar again after years of non music playback use...last program (apart from GOM audio player) I used was the much loved but long dead QCD (Quintessential Media Player)

Just got myself a HiFimeDIY Sabre Tiny USB DAC, which sounds great. I'm rediscovering my sounds

Reply #8

Too sad this doesn't work for columns UI
(Got it working for default UI)

Reply #9
Peter should add something that works like in mIRC. When you minimize the software holding Shift, it goes to the Tray.

Reply #10

What version? There's no such option here.

Reply #11
i have no idea what version i was using when i made that post but according to the changelog, it's been there since 1.1.15 (14th sepetember 2012). and it's certainly there on 1.2.9 which i'm using now.

Reply #12
Oh derp, I didn't see you wrote >advanced>.  I have it too, yes.

Reply #13

It's 2015. Has someone managed to have this functionality in foobar2000 Columns UI?

Re: Making foobar close to windows tray

Reply #14

It's 2015. Has someone managed to have this functionality in foobar2000 Columns UI?

Sorry by responding after a year, but look here:

Assuming you're using Columns UI, go to preferences (CTRL+P), then Display > Columns UI then the Notification Area tab.

it took me some time to find it so I share it, hope it helps

Reply #15
I only see the option to minimize to tray, not close to tray.

Reply #16
Ok, if someone still has this problem to minimize to tray, just run the "Tray it" application (download e.g. from http://trayit.softonic.pl/). Best, set options to launch on start, then right click on the Foobar's minimize button and check "place in system tray" - and you are done. Generally, a fantastic, useful app.

If you want to have the same behavior as Skype (minimize on close), additionally follow above @marc2003 instructions.

Reply #17
I only see the option to minimize to tray, not close to tray.

It's under Preferences >advanced >display >default user interface >close minimizes

Reply #18
I've already proposed this once, foobar2000 should do it like mIRC:

Minimize = Normal minimize

Shift + Minimize = Tray

Ctrl + Minimize = Minimize with password

Reply #19
I've already proposed this once, foobar2000 should do it like mIRC:

Minimize = Normal minimize

Shift + Minimize = Tray

Ctrl + Minimize = Minimize with password

+1

Reply #20
Minimize with a hotkey seems fine, but who really needs to password protect just their music player, and not the whole bloody user session? Nobody but me is ever getting to use my user session without permission, I'll just give them the Guest account.

Reply #21
Nah, I was just suggesting what mIRC does but thinking about it, it can be useful if you leave the PC mixing at a party so no one changes anything.

Yes, you could do Win + L and lock the screen but Windows may bypass the app' settings and it go to sleep if not disabled, people forget to do that.

Reply #22
foobar2000 is designed to prevent display and system sleep if it is playing, at least with its default settings.

Reply #23
I managed to get it hide on close with columns ui using foo_ui_hacks.dll component.