Skip to main content

Topic: how good is the quality of new faac 1.29 (2017-07-17) ? (Read 503 times) previous topic - next topic

• rizukitomi
  • [*]
how good is the quality of new faac 1.29 (2017-07-17) ?
Guys i went through faac site at sourceforge, and i found faac version 1.29 uploaded at 2017-07-17, did someone already try it ? How's the quality guys ? Is there some improvement from previous version (1.28-mod) ?

Note : I got it from here => https://sourceforge.net/projects/faac/files/faac-src/faac-1.29/
qaac -cvbr 0 -he

• Heliologue
  • [*][*][*]
Re: how good is the quality of new faac 1.29 (2017-07-17) ?
Reply #1
Based on the commit history, I wouldn't expect the output quality to vary much, if at all, from the version released in 2009.  The code changes seem related to security bugs, compilation fixes, etc.

• rizukitomi
  • [*]
Reply #2
Did you try it? I mean try to use it? Not just look at their commit history at sourceforge, with the gear that i have right now, it doesn't really fit for listening test, that's why I'm asking for someone that would try it for me, so i can get an idea that there is quality improvement over the last version...
qaac -cvbr 0 -he

• kode54
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #3
And @Heliologue just explained, there have been no quality related changes since 2009.

• Fairy
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #4
Encode the same file with both encoders and check if the stream is identical. Could be the only difference in the output file is the version number in the header. The rest of the changes are probably bugfixes that have nothing to do with the outputfile.