Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audio identification (Read 17702 times) previous topic - next topic

Audio identification

Reply #25
I recall a printer manufacturer selling printers that watermark the documents printed.

I think all printers do that.

For example, often times when joining a discussion forum or site you'll be asked to identify some scrambled text. This is done to weed out spammers and bots.

Computers can, most of the time, get past that.
And if you believe theres not a chance to die...

Audio identification

Reply #26
I recall a printer manufacturer selling printers that watermark the documents printed.

All color printers do, using a unique pattern of yellow dots. Apparently this is to help the authorities track down counterfeiting operations, though it has some pretty scary privacy consequences.

But on topic again, I agree that the biggest problem with watermarking audio is that buyer != listener/pirate, necessarily. Suppose that some audio appears on the internet with a watermark that matches a CD I bought. How can the RIAA prove that I was the one who posted it? I mean, maybe I got tired of the CD, sold it to a second-hand store, and then someone else bought it and ripped it.

Watermarks are a good idea for limited-distribution promo CDs, but they make no sense for retail discs.

Audio identification

Reply #27

All color printers do, using a unique pattern of yellow dots. Apparently this is to help the authorities track down counterfeiting operations, though it has some pretty scary privacy consequences.

But on topic again, I agree that the biggest problem with watermarking audio is that buyer != listener/pirate, necessarily. Suppose that some audio appears on the internet with a watermark that matches a CD I bought. How can the RIAA prove that I was the one who posted it? I mean, maybe I got tired of the CD, sold it to a second-hand store, and then someone else bought it and ripped it.

Watermarks are a good idea for limited-distribution promo CDs, but they make no sense for retail discs.

I think that watermarking is a good idea. I guess that typical pirate pressed CD/DVDs can be rolled up "from the bottom" by tracking the product. Being able to track from the top (by finding out where all pirated discs were purchased etc) would probably be beneficial even without it holding up as single evidence in court.

-k