Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: westgroveg's EAC+FLAC image guide (Read 246907 times) previous topic - next topic

westgroveg's EAC+FLAC image guide

Reply #50
I have a quick question.
I have tried putting the full path to the cue file created but every time I am getting an error saying flac encoder initiate failed.
Can someone help here please.
I very much prefer this method but right now am getting very irritated with the constant changes and cuts I am having to take.

Any healp would go a long way.

Kunwar

Reply #51
after cdextraction it is finished... the encoder stops immediately and no flac file is created...

Are the WAV files created?

When you start the audio extraction are you clicking the "MP3" button or the "WAV" button?  The WAVs will not be compressed into FLAC files if you're using the "WAV" button.

(Alternatively, you could use:
Action>Copy Selected Tracks>Compressed
or, more simply
Shft+F5.)

If that's not it, I'm afraid I don't know why the files aren't being compressed.  I guess we'll have to wait for someone more knowledgeable to figure this one out...

I'm using version 1.1.2 with the same command line options as you (but I add the "-V"):
Code: [Select]
-V -T "Title=%t" -T "Artist=%a" -T "Album=%g" -T "TrackNumber=%n" -T "Date=%y" -T "Genre=%m" %s
so I know it works OK.

Reply #52
I followed this guide and like the idea quite a lot. My only issue is, I cannot seem to place Track Gain when I follow this guide. Every track has the same gain = album gain. I use fb2k but I don't think this is the issue.

Any ideas?
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #53
Well, guys, I have a question:
When I open my EAC, I found that there is no my physical Drive, but only my virtual ones in the list of the software, I don't know why

Reply #54
When I open my EAC, I found that there is no my physical Drive, but only my virtual ones in the list of the software, I don't know why
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296627"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sounds like an ASPI layer problem. Do a search here for ASPI and see what you get.

Reply #55
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296627"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If your OS is WinXp or Win2k you have to start EAC with admin-rights to get access to physical drives - maybe that's the problem.

Reply #56
Why do you prefer to burn an image rather than ripping separate tracks and compressing the separate tracks with flac?  When using flac with EAC to make separate comressed tracks, it is a one step process resulting in compressed and tagged tracks.

Actually, I have noticed a fair amount of interest in ripping and compressing images around here.  Other than the ability of foobar to play these images back using the cue sheet is there some other benefit?  So far I have only used the copy image feature of EAC to do a CD to CD copy (usually burning with some app other than EAC) and then I discard the image.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=180403"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I like the option of editing the cuesheet without having to deal with the file itself. Example, theres a 13 min track on a cd i have, but 4 of those minutes are silence + bad bonus stuffs. I go into the cue sheet, make those last 4min a seperate track, load the cue in foobar, and just remove that track from the playlist.

but thats just a simple pro. It all comes down to preferance

Reply #57
Thanks a lot for a great guide.

Reply #58
Thank you for the guide!

If you just simply edit tags via Tag/Winamp/Foobar (I assume that's just going into the flac file, since it appears the cuesheet within doesn't change), will that at all interfere with trying to turn it back into an image for burning down the road?

Reply #59
If you have embedded the Cue Sheet into the 'CUESHEET' metadata block, then that will stay intact, but remember that there isn't any CD-TEXT stored in that block. If you have stored the Cue Sheet into the 'VORBIS_COMMENT' metadata block, as a 'CUESHEET' tag, and for example change a track title in fb2k, then the 'CUESHEET' tag will change accordingly in the FLAC image, but if you look at the 'CUESHEET' tag in fb2k's 'Properties' window, then it will look as if you haven't changed anything, and it will only show the change, if you select 'Reload Info From File'. So if you don't select 'Reload Info From File' before you copy/paste the contents of the 'CUESHEET' tag into a Cue Sheet file, then it will be the original Cue Sheet you will get...

-Martin.

Reply #60
As far as I know UDF error correction is no different to that used by ISO 9660. I don't have $370 to buy the appropriate standards to confirm however.

Reply #61
does anyone know of any players for linux that support flac disk images with cuesheets (imbedded or external)?

I want to setup a linux box as my media player, but if I can't find the proper support for cuesheets, then I'm either gonna have to resort to windows, or change my method of music storage

Reply #62
Why do you prefer to burn an image rather than ripping separate tracks and compressing the separate tracks with flac?  When using flac with EAC to make separate comressed tracks, it is a one step process resulting in compressed and tagged tracks.

Actually, I have noticed a fair amount of interest in ripping and compressing images around here.  Other than the ability of foobar to play these images back using the cue sheet is there some other benefit?  So far I have only used the copy image feature of EAC to do a CD to CD copy (usually burning with some app other than EAC) and then I discard the image.

I like the option of editing the cuesheet without having to deal with the file itself. Example, theres a 13 min track on a cd i have, but 4 of those minutes are silence + bad bonus stuffs. I go into the cue sheet, make those last 4min a seperate track, load the cue in foobar, and just remove that track from the playlist.

but thats just a simple pro. It all comes down to preferance
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305983"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I ripped CDs into images cause I want to manage my music library as whole albums, not as seperated songs.

Reply #63
bit of a noob here, but cant u just create the image in flac directly from eac?? by electing Create image and quesheet > compressed...instead of doing it uncompressed and using flac frontend to convert to flac??

if u hav to use flac frontend to convert the one big wav file to flac, where do u input the flac command line options i.g. -8 -v etc??

is a quesheet only useful for burnin cds with? ill be using ipod/hdd from now on so would u recommend using/not using?!

Cheers

Matt

Reply #64
In FLAC Frontend there are selectable options for Verify and compression level etc... Also using -8 instead of -5(default) will only give you a neglible size difference and be about 4 times longer to encode... You can also encode the image to FLAC with EAC, you just need to setup flac.exe as an external compressor...

I myself rip to individual tracks without cuesheets... I don't make cuesheets because i only care about getting the audio data + the gaps extracted, but not about getting the gaps marked... Cuesheets only adds some subchannel data which will mark the gaps on the burned copy, which is used to display negative countdowns between tracks on a CD players display, and for skipping the gaps if the tracks is played in random order(i never play in random order(programmed play), and even if i did, then having the gaps played between tracks wouldn't annoy me)...

About the need of cuesheets :

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....&t=3922&hl=gaps

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....=ST&f=20&t=1642

-Martin.

Reply #65
Well, I though I knew a little about audio encoding before I found this site but now I realized, I know nothing <deflated>.  So, consider me a total newbie and please forgive the perhaps elementary recap but my head is absolutely spinning.  This is a long way from WMP10 (which I'm embarrassed to admit I was using). 

I was planning to encode only to lossy but have revised that idea after coming to this forum.  This is what I'd like to do with my digital audio, perhaps you can confirm/dissuade this guide is the way to go.

1) I'd like to encode lossless so that I can convert to lossy limitless times (varying types/bitrates to suit needs at the time).  This will also serve as my back up and source if I need to burn a traditional CD.

2) I'd like to be able to have gapless playback on my PC, DAP, and for making mp3 cds (I didn't think this was possible until finding this forum - thanks for that).

3) I'd like to have the option of splitting up albums into individual tracks for mixing (especially when encoding lossy) or leaving as an "image" for gapless playback all keeping the file/tag information intact.

4) I'm new at this, so ease and simplicity would be wonderful.

I realize that this and SO much more was covered in this thread but SO much that I got a bit lost.  Will the method used in the beginning of this thread allow me to do the above? 

Thank you in advance for your help and patience.

Reply #66
I was wondering if there is anything wrong with just creating a FLAC album image through EAC first, then splitting it up for easy listening into individual tracks.

If the originals ever break, get stolen, spontaneously combust, then you just rejoin the files (and burn with the cuesheet you kept).

Or does this still mess with the "purity" of the image?

Reply #67
I was wondering if there is anything wrong with just creating a FLAC album image through EAC first, then splitting it up for easy listening into individual tracks
[..]
Or does this still mess with the "purity" of the image?

was wondering about the same thing, *lol*

also it'd be nice if the current switches/commandlines for flac(& maybe the other losless
codecs) were displayed in the first post of this thread or another, -  like has been done for other codecs.

-

Reply #68
Is there a way to extract the FLAC image into seprate MP3 tracks afterwards using EAC or another program?

Reply #69
Is there a way to extract the FLAC image into seprate MP3 tracks afterwards using EAC or another program?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=357407"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, and probably the easiest is Foobar 2000.  Load the .cue sheet in Foo and it'll present you with an album view.  Select all the tracks and convert to individual files.

Reply #70
Why do you prefer to burn an image rather than ripping separate tracks and compressing the separate tracks with flac?

DISCID (used by CDDB and others) is generated from composited disc material. To regenerate it requires the CD TOC to be whole.

Thus storing the tracks separately is inherently a lossy function (for metadata), assuming that the purpose of having discrete files is being able to manage them with standard filesystems, potentially disassociating tracks.

Even storing the DISCID with each track (assuming independently stored) doesn't satisfy me because of the high-collision rate of DISCID.  LASSO and potential future formats utilize more information than DISCID does. (note that the audio fingerprint function of LASSO circumvents some of these issues)

Reply #71
What is your command line for EMBEDDED Cue-sheet in .flac?..

Reply #72

Foobar2000 can do this using the diskwriter.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #73

Foobar2000 can do this using the diskwriter.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371601"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Will it let me do it using settings I want according to the LAME encoder?

Reply #74
Sure will. You can pass the command line arguments you want.