Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows 10 - Bluetooth device control buttons not work after first Foobar run (Read 4786 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows 10 - Bluetooth device control buttons not work after first Foobar run

I have weird problem with Foobar2000 on Windows 10 (build 1803) and Bluetooth control steering Play/Pause, Next, Previous, Volume by buttons on headphones after first run Foobar after system start or restart.

What happen, buttons on headphones never work when Foobar starts with system, but when I close it, and run it again, it starts working buttons on headphones.
For example on built in music player with Windows "Music Groove" work everytime.

I tested with few Bluetooth headphones, devices, also on two PC machines with different Bluetooth receivers/radios, same happen, so it's a bug probably in Foobar or Windows 10.

Re: Windows 10 - Bluetooth device control buttons not work after first Foobar run

Reply #1
Please help me, because it's very important for me.
I tried alredy on fresh clean install Foobar2000 without any my components and same situation bluetooth buttons on headphones sometimes work sometimes not work, on built in player in Win10 "Music Groove" always work, so this is bug in Foobar2000 under Windows 10, because on Windows 7 have never that problem.

Really please check this and fix.

Re: Windows 10 - Bluetooth device control buttons not work after first Foobar run

Reply #2
Try disabling "Integrate with Windows 10 Universal Volume Control" option under Display section of Advanced Preferences.

Reply #3
Already tried it but this not helped for me :(

Reply #4
I also noticed that happen not only when Foobar starts with system, also when I run it when system is runing long time.

Reply #5
I tried aslo older versions 1.3.20, 1.3.17, nothing changed.
Please look at this problem, I can test if you want this problem.

Reply #6
I added "Music Groove" to Autostart and everytime after system starts buttons on headphones work always

In Foobar2000 sometimes they work sometimes not, most time not.

I'm using FiiO BTR3 Bluettoth receiver with my HD 599 and this thing it's very annoying. I do not want to back to Windows 7 only by this one bug :( so please Foobar team fix this.

(tested on two different devices: FiiO BTR3 Bluetooth DAC, and Panasonic RP-HF400 headphones, tested also on two different PC machines)

Reply #7
Do you plan to fix this ?

Reply #8
It's pretty certainly not a bug in foobar2000. If something on your system eats the messages and foobar2000 never sees them, there's nothing that can be done. Except you can try to find the program that steals the messages and close it.

Reply #9
Nope it can be, this happen on two different computers with Windows 10 build 1803

Also I tried right now Spotify with several log off, log in, restarts system, and there is no problem, buttons always work, also same Music Groove player also no problem, only Foobar2000 have this problem, most time buttons do not work.
I also tested on fresh install Foobar without any additional components.
So deninitly bug in Foobar2000 under Windows 10, because on Windows 7 worked always fine including latest v.1.4
Also my Windows 10 install is 3 days old fresh wihout almost nothing installed additionaly in one computer.
I tried this first just after fresh Win10 install because I installed Windows 10 to have Apt-X support on stock Bluetooth drivers.

Reply #10
Today I tested this in my friend computer with also Windows 10 build 1803 - same behavior/bug!

Reply #11
@Peter, @Case - please answer and check this,, Foobar2000 is my best main player since years and I'm really appreciate you for this great program, but please appreciate me also when I'm trying to tell you it's something wrong., don't tell me that something block buttons in system because I tested this on three different computers.

I know that you have a lot of work, and probably some more important things to polish, but please only tell me that you will try to check this and fix this soon or later, there is no hurry.

Thank you.

Reply #12
Peter is the only foobar2000 developer. I don't have any bluetooth devices that have buttons you talk about but I know foobar2000 doesn't talk with Bluetooth devices. It listens to messages coming from the operating system and only known problems related to multimedia commands have been buggy device drivers and now with some systems problems with Universal Volume Control integration.

Reply #13
@Case - understand, thank you for answer, but why in Spotify or Groove Music buttons always work perfect, does it mean they use their own commands or something, how do you think ?

I have two bluetooth headphones, one Bluettoth dac/amp FiiO BTR3, on every device same happen.
Also on two different computers are different Bluetooth USB adapters one is CSR chip, second Broadcom chip.

Today I will check also on my Windows 10 tablet (Dell Venue 8 Pro).

Reply #14
You're basically asking the developer to buy one of these affected devices, to fix a feature in a free application, which is more likely affected by how the media keys are handled.

Both Spotify and Groove Music should be handling media keys through a UWP interface of some sort, even the non-Windows Store version of Spotify uses a UWP shim for that on Windows 10.

Reply #15
If they act as media keys, have you tried setting them as global hotkeys in foobar Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts?

Reply #16
You're basically asking the developer to buy one of these affected devices, to fix a feature in a free application, which is more likely affected by how the media keys are handled.

Both Spotify and Groove Music should be handling media keys through a UWP interface of some sort, even the non-Windows Store version of Spotify uses a UWP shim for that on Windows 10.
What do you mean affected devices ? all Bluetooth devices like headphones, DAC's etc will work like my on Windows 10 with Foobar2000.
I tried it on many Bluetooth headphones, including Sennheiser HD 4.40, Panasonic RP-HF400, Audio-Technica ATH-AR3BT, FiiO BTR3 DAC/AMP.
All of them not work on Windows 10, sometimes buttons work, most time not, so every Bluetooth device/headphones will be good for testing.

@anamorphic - I will try and give a feedback, but on Windows 7 was no problems never.
I also tried to run Foobar2000 as Administrator, or set Foobar2000,exe priorytety to High, or Real Time, or disable "Integrate with Windows 10 Universal Volume Control".

Reply #17
I have never owned a single pair of Bluetooth headphones that had playback controls attached. And I have never owned a Bluetooth DAC, either. I can't speak for Peter, though.

Reply #18
kode54 - almost all Bluetooth headphones, or Bluetooth DAC's etc have control buttons.

I found where is the problem!

I run yesterday my tablet with Windows 10 x86 old build 1607, I do not updated it for long time to latest MS builds, and quess what, on this build 1607 everything works like should be, buttons works everytime on Foobar2000 1.4 even with enabled "Integrate with Windows 10 Universal Volume Control"

So the problem is newer Windows 10 builds like 1803, 1809, and maybe even older like 1709.
But the problem is not only on Windows side I think, because as I said Spotify, Music Groove work fine with buttons on this latest MS builds, so looks like Foobar2000 is missing something with comatibility or something, hard me to say what.

btw. Bluetooth involved, it's not as old days crappy sound Bluetooth, I'm listening my music on Sennheiser HD 600 connected to BTR3 DAC/AMP and sound same as good as from amplifier, and I can use them wirellesy on my house.
So this is imporatnt part for Foobar2000 to be working good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mYUbSv6FNw :)

Reply #19
Updated tablet from 1607 to 1803 and buttons stops work, so we have answer on 100%.

Of course in Spotify, Music Groove, they work like before.

Now Peter please Peter ;) fix this in Foobar.

Reply #20
Installing KB4340917 might fix the problem.

Bluetooth controls on Windows 10.1803 not working with Spotify (but with e.g. foobar2000) have been reported here, by the way.

Maybe also worth reading:
https://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/476338-windows-10-1803-bluetooth-issues.html

If I remember correctly, with build 1803 Microsoft introduced enhancements to the Bluetooth functionality that could initially cause issues such as you are experiencing.

Reply #21
I turned on my Bluetooth headphones, rebooted my Windows 10 1809 laptop, started foobar2000 with the Default UI, pressed Play on my headphones and it worked fine. I also tried adding foobar2000 to the Start-up start menu folder and restarting, but it also worked fine.

Do you have any other media players starting up with your PC (e.g. Spotify)?

Reply #22
@musicmusic - it's weird because this sometimes can work, but please do few system restart and tries.

I tested right now and work, made restart and no more work again. On Spotify and Music Groove always work, everytime (of course Spotify or Music Groove do not start with my system)

I testing right now on my tablet which yesterday I upgraded from 1607 to 1803, I do not touch antyhing else, only made update (on 1607 worked perfect everytime same like on Windows 7, every restart etc.)

I have two PC, one tablet, on all machines same behaviors on 1803 with Foobar2000.
I rec a video right now how it's work (uploading on YT), on 1803 it's lottery sometimes work, sometimes not.

@Maurus - thank you I will try but I have all updates update installed right now and see do I have maybe this already.

Reply #23
https://youtu.be/dlfNK8u8d84

btw. on fresh clean Foobar2000 without any additional own components. same behavior.
In first time I thought that maybe there is a problem with some old not compatible now user-component, but this is not this also.

Reply #24
kode54 - almost all Bluetooth headphones, or Bluetooth DAC's etc have control buttons.
Right, I have the exception to the rule, then. AirPods, which, if I attach them to an iOS device, I can double tap an earpiece to summon Siri and ask her to pause my music. No support for that on desktops, laptops, or pretty much anything other than an iOS device.

Still sounds like a Windows bug that needs to be worked around, and the only proper way to work around it is to use actual hardware that has the features needed to trigger this. Peter probably has at least one Bluetooth headset with play controls, but I don't know.