Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC artwork in Windows 10 Explorer (Read 3260 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC artwork in Windows 10 Explorer

I have a collection of FLACs with embedded artwork. For the most part (perhaps 98-99 percent), Windows explorer displays the artwork correctly in the miniature view. (Displaying of art for FLAC files is new in Win 10 -- I don't have dbpoweramp with its shell integration installed anymore.)

I can't figure out the reason why, for a relatively small number of files, no artwork is displayed. I have embedded jpegs throughout. Covers are set to type "front cover." The art in those files is displayed corretly by other software (fb2k, Logitech Media Server, mp3tag, Rhythmbox etc.)

I just can't identify a pattern. I've tried re-embedding the artwork to no avail. (EDIT: I've also tried removing all artwork from a FLAC with fb2k and embedding a *different* jpeg as front cover. It didn't do the trick, either.)

Reply #1
Could it be cmyk jpeg problem?
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #2
The new native FLAC support in Windows 10 does not work well. I would call it broken.

You can turn it off as explained here: https://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php...st&p=905221
Then you can install the FLAC property handler.

Or you can wait for Microsoft to fix the native FLAC support, but I would not hold my breath doing that.

Reply #3
Could it be cmyk jpeg problem?

I wasn't aware of that problem. From what I understand after some googling, I think the answer is no. The issue does occur on some files which have JPEGs with sRGB colorspace embedded.

You can turn it off as explained here: https://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php...st&p=905221
Then you can install the FLAC property handler.

Thanks for the workaround. I might end up going that route. However, if there is a way to modify my tags so that they work with Win 10 (as well as my other software), I would prefer that. I have a large FLAC collection. The performance of Win 10's integrated property handler seems much better than the dbpoweramp property handler which I used prior to upgrading from 7 to 10. (I never tried the property handler you linked to.)