Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ABX : aoTuV b5 & Lame 3.97 (Read 13305 times) previous topic - next topic

ABX : aoTuV b5 & Lame 3.97

Hello to the HA community 

Here’s the result of my first ABX test.

I listen to mp3 files for about ten years now, and I use Vorbis since 2002 (the first final release). I hate badly compressed songs, but however I never really tried to know if I was able to distinguish an encoded sound. I love to listen high quality music, but what quality do I need ? Is the quality of a high VBR vorbis or mp3 really this good ? I began this test to answer these simples questions… and for fun, of course !
I wasn’t planning to share the results on a forum, so don’t blame me if I made mistakes, or if my comments are not always perfect… and sorry for my average english, I’m french.

I used the following samples from my own collection of CDs:

01 - Alain Souchon - Au Ras Des Pâquerettes - Au Ras Des Pâquerettes
02 - Björk - Homogenic - Hunter
03 - Björk - Homogenic - Pluto
04 - Ben Harper - Diamonds On The Inside - When It's Good
05 - Mogwaï - Mr Beast - Acid Food
06 - American Head Charge - The War Of Art - A Violent Reaction
07 - Guem - Percussions Africaines Pour La Transe - Le Serpent
08 - Dredg - Leitmotif - Lechium
09 - FSOL - The Isness - High Tide On The Sea Of Flesh
10 - Soulfly - Primitive - Back To The Primitive
11 - U2 - War - Seconds
12 - FSOL - Dead Cities - Antique Toy
13 - The Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole - Elektrobank
14 - Genesis - Foxtrot – Horizons

I tried to choose interesting samples, despite the fact that it was my first attempt to find ones by myself.

I used EAC 0.95 beta 4 with secure mode to rip every songs. Each CDs are originals ones of course.

I wanted to generate encoded samples that I would be supposed to listen in real life. So I used well know compiles of encoders:
- oggdropXPd V1.8.9 Lancer[20061110] with SSE3 and MultiThreading, using aoTuV b5
- lamedropXPd V2.0 using Lame 3.97 final

The settings are quite simples as well. For lamedrop:
-   Target Quality : 50 / VBR mode : Standard / Encoding Engine Quality : High (132kbps)
-   Target Quality : 80 / VBR mode : Standard / Encoding Engine Quality : High (190kbps)
-   Target Quality : 100 / VBR mode : Standard / Encoding Engine Quality : High (240kbps)

And for oggdrop:
-   Standard Quality Mode : q1 (80kbps)
-   Standard Quality Mode : q3 (112kbps)
-   Standard Quality Mode : q5 (160kbps)

Assuming mp3 @ 132kbps is 100%, then 240 is 182%.
Assuming Vorbis @ 80kbps is 100%, then 160 is 200%, so we will see how these encoders behave when the data rate is doubled.
Here is the hardware used for ripping, encoding and ABX:

Intel E6600
Asus P5B Deluxe no Wifi
Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 160 Go P-ATA
Pioneer DVR-110D modded with DVR-A10XL firmware (v 1.41). Used to rip every samples.
Creative Audigy LS
Sony MDR-EX51 (not killer earphones, but quite good, and the intra auricular design is good to ear sharp sounds).

I used the tool ABC/HR 1.1b2 to randomize my samples.

So here are the results:

Each sample is described with a special notation, from ‘very easy’ to ‘perfect’. Very easy means it’s easy to distinguish encoded from original, perfect means it’s impossible 

Let’s begin with mp3 samples. I was able to distinguish most of the sample when they were encoded with 132kbps, but the quality was really better with 190kbps. I was extremely surprised when I realised that the advantage of 240kbps was so small over 190.

Thanks to HA for all the informations gathered here 

PS : this is the link to my PCM [a href="http://rapidshare.com/files/5168835/sources_flac.zip" target="_blank"]samples

Reply #1
Thx for sharing your experience. Interesting read. aoTuV q-5 is amazing since b4. If I'm free from H/W compatiblity issue, I don't hesitate to use this.

BTW what kind of test method did you use in this test? ABC/HR with 3/6 competitor? or simple ABX with reference then rate it?

Reply #2
3 competitors at a time ; I tested mp3 and vorbis separately.

Reply #3
3 competitors at a time ; I tested mp3 and vorbis separately.

Thanks for clarification.

I just noticed one thing concerning encoding.
- Target Quality : 50 / VBR mode : Standard / Encoding Engine Quality : High (132kbps)

This is an old VBR algorithm aka --vbr-old. --vbr-new is current recommendation.

Reply #4
- Target Quality : 50 / VBR mode : Standard / Encoding Engine Quality : High (132kbps)

This is an old VBR algorithm aka --vbr-old. --vbr-new is current recommendation.

I didn't knew this, thanks for the info.

I don't really know what is the influence of "Variable Bitrate Mode" setting in Lamedrop. Do you know if it is related to --vbr-new / --vbr-old ?

Reply #5
I don't really know what is the influence of "Variable Bitrate Mode" setting in Lamedrop. Do you know if it is related to --vbr-new / --vbr-old ?

"Variable Bitrate Mode" Fast = --vbr-new
"Variable Bitrate Mode" Standard = --vbr-old

You should leave "Encoding Engine Quality" as it is. It's identical to -q switch of lame.exe.

Reply #6
Thanks for explanations

Reply #7
Nice work and thanks for sharing your results.

Reply #8
Nice work and thanks for sharing your results.

I just received my Shure e2c today.

So I think I will ABX again with the same samples when Lame 3.98 will be out.

A new version of aoTuV would be fine too 

Reply #9
Nice work, if my ipod supportted ogg (without having to install rockbox) I would choose aoTuV to encode into ogg and use that instead of mp3. I prefer ogg to mp3 when at lower bitrates.

I have my Shure E500 earphones, maybe I should try and do some abx testing.

Reply #10
I prefer ogg to mp3 when at lower bitrates.

Any sane person would.