Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Does operating system matter for converting to MP3s? (Read 11044 times) previous topic - next topic

Does operating system matter for converting to MP3s?

Hi,

I've got a question regarding operating systems: I've been using Foobar and LAME on a Windows Vista to encode my FLAC files to MP3s...

Now would those MP3 files being produced on my Windows Vista computer be any different than if I had done it on Windows XP or 7? (Given that I am using the same versions of Foobar and LAME) Would they be exact copies (size/bits/samples/etc)?

Does the operating system have any influence on the conversion process? Or is that all the work of the program(Foobar and LAME)?

Thank you for your help!

Reply #1
It won't make a difference...unless your OS is full of viruses.

Reply #2
Different processors might produce subtly different results because of compiler optimizations and the inexact nature of floating point.  You might also run into subtle differences between 32-bit and 64-bit builds of LAME.  These will not result in any audible quality differences, but there is no guarantee that two computers using the same version of LAME will create bit-identical files.

Reply #3
So would using a new OS like Windows 7 or 8 result in the files being written in a better way? Would it result in smaller files wit a more efficient codes or something along those lines?

Reply #4
So would using a new OS like Windows 7 or 8 result in the files being written in a better way? Would it result in smaller files wit a more efficient codes or something along those lines?

No, not at all.

Reply #5
My experience is that enconding with LAME 32/64 bit either under Windows 7 or Red Hat Linux renders a different file but the differences are because of besnki already said: compilers optimizations and nature of floating point. I wouldn't worry, the quality is the same. The same happens for some FLAC files under some Linux systems, they differ a bit than the files created in Windows counterparts, even applying the same compression level.

Reply #6
Thanks! I'll try not to worry so much about these little things.