Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FOBAR diminishes volume of wav file when converting to flac (Read 974 times) previous topic - next topic

FOBAR diminishes volume of wav file when converting to flac

I have been digitizing my analog tape recordings by converting them to wav files - My tape recordings are compilations/mixes where every song fades into the beginning of the next, so every file is an amalgamation of many songs "fused" into one.  When I used Foobar to convert said files from wav to flac, the flac file's volume was much reduced...  Is this normal with foobar?

Re: FOBAR diminishes volume of wav file when converting to flac

Reply #1
Not a problem I've run into. Things in foobar2000 to check:
- ReplayGain settings
- Pre-amp gain settings
- Effects in conversion chain

Reply #2
Are you playing both in foobar2000? I recall you were using Windows Media Player for the .wav's ...

Reply #3
HDCD ADC in the recording chain? Try adding a tag to your source WAV file:

HDCD=no

Reply #4
IIRC, the OP has digitized old tape recordings, so there should be no HDCD.

foo_bitcompare can tell whether they are actually different.

If there are differences - and, assuming foobar2000 was used for conversion:
Open a .wav file in foobar2000, right-click, Convert, "..." and then see what was there upon last conversion: anything under "Processing" or "Other"?
(This could be checked without installing foo_bitcompare as well.)

If there is any ReplayGain under "Other" in the previous step, then that is the explanation.
One can also find ReplayGain tags this way: open one of the FLAC files in foobar2000. Right-click -> Properties. Click the Details tab and see if there is any ReplayGain information.

Reply #5
I was only suggesting it in case of the weird possibility of a Phillips ADC that encodes HDCD information, however rare that may be.