Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: fb2k freezes with monitoring active, Split from "v1.1.6 beta 1&qu (Read 3371 times) previous topic - next topic

fb2k freezes with monitoring active, Split from "v1.1.6 beta 1&qu

I'm still on foobar 1.1 because I'm not happy with the media library monitoring changes introduced after 1.1.1 (with my configuration, program freezes the second Windows performs hard drive activity in my music folder), but I'd be more willing to start over on 1.1.6 if I get more functionality out of my metadata...

If you don't like it, turn off active monitoring altogether. This should not be locking the program up, something is wrong with your system.

Reply #1
what could be wrong with the system? I have monitoring on, and when I move or delete files with the File Operation Dialog, foobar is locked for around 15 seconds.

Reply #2
Trojan, rootkits, viruses or their detectors who are also monitoring your file system are likely the cause.

Reply #3
I can exclude the harmful stuff mentioned above. Is there some setting in Win (Win7 Enterprise Home Ed. x64, Lib is on internal disc) to optimize the monitoring?

Reply #4
In preferences, go to components, click copy report and paste it in a message codebox. I believe there was recent mention of a third party component [maybe a library viewer] that has trouble with it's own attempt to keep up with changes.

Reply #5
ok, thanks for pushing me in the right direction.
I figured out that foo_uie_esplaylist.dll and foo_facets.dll are the components which lock the app when performing File Operations like "Move" or "Delete".
To be honest, I've got some not so simple foo_facets queries and foo_uie_esplaylist seems to be resources hungry too.
So for these two components (or additional Lib viewers in general) is there a best practice for using these?
Or is it possible that developers just have to optimize their code?
I mean they are useful without question.
I will try to reduce foo_facets queries

Reply #6
I have no magic solution. It would seem that at some point you would no longer be regularly moving or deleting files. Until that point, why not just disable monitoring and use the main menu rescan folders option at your convenience. Or bind to a shortcut key.

BTW, I have never heard it reported that facets has been singled out as a source of this issue.

good luck

Reply #7
Monitoring the Lib is ace, so I reviewed all the fields and queries of ES Playlist and Facets and reduced them to the ones I really need.

1.) nothing new, but never ever use foo_customdb fields in Media Library viewers again. in playlist views it's ok...
2.) Es Playlist as Library Viewer drag down the app. From now on I will switch manually to browse lib in Es Playlist, since I use it not that often.
3.) there should be a component called foo_fighters.dll  (I'm joking)