Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wasapi help (Read 3323 times) previous topic - next topic

Wasapi help

I have a Asus Xonar D2X connected via analogue.  This is best soundcard i have ever owned and i have gone through many in my years as a PC gamer, movie watcher and audiophile.  I am also new to Foobar in as much as i have been using it for the past week and before that i was on Winamp.  Anyway i stumbled unto the "benefits" of bit-matched playback and have been configuring foobar for such usage.  So far i have configured it for ASIO using the Xonar's native ASIO driver (no ASIO4ALL) but it does not mute other sound outputs.  Now i have gotten the wasapi driver installed and it works but not for multichannel audio.  I have a lot of 24/96 audio files in 5.1 and i keep getting an "unsupported format" error when i try to play them.  I have no problem with 2.0 channel 24/96 files so it seen that the problem is with multichannel files - i get the sam error with multichannel 16/44 DTS wav files.

To be honest i am not interested in a debate on the possible qualitative gains of bit-matched playback adnuseum, the fact that i can't get multichannel audio in wasapi mode really bugs the hell out of me, plus the fact that ASIO does not mute is another pet peev.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

Wasapi help

Reply #1
if i recall correctly wasapi only supports the bitrate & samplerate of files the same as the output mode set on the soundcard & in Foobar.

i got around this by using the resampler & mono to stereo DSP plugins, as i downloaded a 8 bit mono single & it simply wouldnt play with wasapi.
i dont know how you would get around high bitrate files, prob have to down them with the resampler.

i dont know if this is of any help, just my experience with wasapi.

Wasapi help

Reply #2
Kernel streaming mode also mutes other sound outputs as well and most importantly also plays back multichannel audio.

To add, i am using Vista64 Home Premium.  I have the line out of the Xonar connected to an external AMP (Philips 1500U Dolby Headphone receiver) using 1/4 to phonos (analogue connection) and i have dolby headphone enabled in the Xonar software and disabled on the Philips receiver (I only use the dolby headphone feature of the Philips receiver when i game on my PS3 and Xbox 360 since i have them connected to the spdif input of the reciver via toslink splitter).  When i watch movies (lossless bluray and DVDaudio playback) the philips DSP is disabled or it would just interfere with the Xonar's DSP.

Basically i just was my audio unmolested with the exception of the dolby headphone positional audio routines so that i can experience multichannel audio.  I am not sure if ASIO mode is working in Foobar because while i do get multichannel audio it does not mute other audio outputs and kernel Streaming from my research is obsolete for Vista but it plays back multichannel audio even if the last update was 2006.  It just leaves me with wasapi but it does not work on multichannel audio.

Help

Edit: Is it pointless me doing this and just leave it on Directsound since i am not feeding the audio to an external DAC of some sort?  Cheers

Wasapi help

Reply #3
I actually don't believe no one has an answer to this problem.

Has anyone been able to playback multichannel audio in WASPAI mode.

Please this is really bugging me and i can't seem to find an answer for this.

I am on Vista 64, I have a Xonar D2X soundcard.  I have installed all the latest updates. 

It just doesn't make sense that i can't playback multichannel audio since it is possible with arcsoft Reclock.  Is this a bug with the wasapi plugin.

Cheers.

Wasapi help

Reply #4
Has anyone been able to playback multichannel audio in WASPAI mode.

Just tested, 5.1 channel AC3 and DTS files work fine with WASAPI on my X-Fi. Running Vista x64 here too.