Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WinMP3Packer Beta released (Read 217739 times) previous topic - next topic

WinMP3Packer Beta released

Reply #75
After repacking 25 files (2.73 GB to 2.67 GB), the following message was displayed:
---------------------------
WinMP3Packer
25 items successfully processed and 0 items copied (In: −1359929091 bytes, Out: −1424468272 bytes).

0,0% decrease in size.

0 items failed.
OK 

Looks like an overflow.

(Edit: changed commas to dots)
FLAC.

Reply #76
Sometimes when converting it stops responding … I tried to optimize a large collection of files and after 7 hours it was freezed and the task manager showed a CPU time for WinMP3packer.exe of almost 5 hours. I use -z and chose to create the new files in another directory. It then looks like this:

It usually freezes like that when there are lots of log entries (the warnings can bloat the log very fast). However, sometimes it looks like that, but continues operation after a while (and the window contents reappear).

Edit: It has problems with subdirectories ending with a dot followed by a non-breaking space (Alt+0160 on the numpad) (without the non-breaking space the dot would be removed in the Windows Explorer).

Sorry to hear you're having these problems with the program. Was the next error - the overflow problem - only occuring when you were processing files with the non-breaking space etc?

Reply #77
No, those files didn't have any special characters in their path. Maybe you (or mp3packer) use signed 32 bit integers, which can go up to 2147483647, but not up to ~ 2931315179 (2.73 [GB] * 1024 * 1024 * 1024), as it would be required when calculating with those large numbers.
FLAC.

Reply #78
No, those files didn't have any special characters in their path. Maybe you (or mp3packer) use signed 32 bit integers, which can go up to 2147483647, but not up to ~ 2931315179 (2.73 [GB] * 1024 * 1024 * 1024), as it would be required when calculating with those large numbers.

Ah yeah, you're probably right . I did the whole Bill Gates 'Nobody will need anything past 640k' thing...

I'll try and fix that in the next version. As far as the odd directory names go, the might be a bit trickier... will give it a go at least.

Also, if anyone wants the source for the GUI and want to take over the program, they are welcome to. The only stumbling block at the moment is the icons are not determined to be 'free', which is stopping me from applying the GPL or possibly some other open source license.

Reply #79
I wondered why it didn't process all of the MP3s, now I discovered it does a case-sensitive check of the filename extension, so it doesn't work with .MP3
FLAC.

Reply #80
I wondered why it didn't process all of the MP3s, now I discovered it does a case-sensitive check of the file extension, so it doesn't work with .MP3

That's some nice bug hunting you're doing there . Thanks... I'll try and get another version out soon.

Reply #81
Hey guys, the original download link is broken. You can use the Softpedia mirror but it only seems to have an old version. I'll try and get up a new copy asap!

Reply #83
I have a 32.56 MB, 17min 46secs mix that has been encoded (not be me) with LAME 3.92 to attain a CBR 256kbps file.

Foobar 0.8.3 reports the file:
Code: [Select]
lame_version = LAME3.92
lame_profile =
lame_profile_index = 0
enc_delay = 576
enc_padding = 2112
mp3_accurate_length = yes
bitrate = 256
codec = MP3
channels = 2
samplerate = 44100
mp3_stereo_mode = stereo
    --------------------
47049600 samples @ 44100Hz
(rounded samples : 47049408)

When I load this file into WinMP3Packer the information column shows the bitrate as 96kbps. This is clearly incorrect.

When I run this file through mp3packer using only the -i switch it outputs the following:
INFO:
MPEG1 layer 3
40844 frames
44100 Hz
38.281250 frames per second
1066.945306 seconds
34144384 bytes in file (256.016002 kbps)
34142249 bytes in MP3 frames (255.999994 kbps) = current bitrate
261209171 bits of payload data (244.819645 kbps)
32669016 bytes of payload data (244.953632 kbps)
142957 bits wasted from partially-full bytes (0.133987 kbps)
34139400 bytes of MP3 data (255.978632 kbps) = minimum bitrate possible
2849 bytes of padding (0.021362 kbps)
2135 bytes outside MP3 frames (0.016008 kbps)
0 sync errors
Bitrate distribution:
  256: 3335,37509
Largest frame uses 9740 bits = 1218 bytes = 372.859375 kbps
Smallest bitrate for CBR is 256

Thus, as mp3packer displays the correct bitrate I'm thinking this is a WinMP3Packer issue (although tbh I'm not sure why this would the case since I thought WinMP3Packer would simply display whatever mp3packer reported back).

Thought you might wanna know psyllium.

BTW if I edit the id3 tags in foobar (0.8.3) then WinMP3Packer reports the correct bitrate; it's like the updating of the metadata now allows the correct bitrate to be interpreted correctly.
And WinMP3Packer has no problem in packing the file to make a VBR 250kbps 31.85mb file

Reply #84
I noticed that files that contain ID3v2 and APEv2 tags are identified as 160kbps, even though they are 320kbps CBR.
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #85
Yeah sorry about that guys, there is a problem with the bitrate detection at times. The only sure fire way for WinMP3Packer to determine it would be to read every single packet of the mp3 file... At the moment the program only reads a small sample of the file in order to quickly determine the bitrate so that files can be added to the list and the type of file (e.g. VBR, CBR) and the bitrate are shown.

For now, if you are having problems with this and files are getting skipped in the conversion process, use the saved setting with 'Force' on it, or tick the 'All' checkbox for the input types.

I will have to consider changing the program in the future to 'properly' check the bitrate and type of file. I've been busy working as a programmer lately so don't have as much spare time as I used to... I'll try and make some time soon though.

Thanks for your patience

Reply #86
No problem psyllium. Just thought I'd mention it. It doesn't cause me any issues; it was just a wee bit confusing. At least it's a known bug.

Reply #88

2 psyllium
Could you make it start mp3packer with a lower process priority?

It seems for me this option might be very helpful.

I completely forgot about this. I just added priority-changing to my working copy, but I forgot to release it. So I just finished it up, and turned it into 1.18.

1.18 will default to below-normal priority, but can be changed with the --nice switch. The mappings from --nice value to actual Windows priority are on the mp3packer HTML page.

@psyllium:
I released this right now because if you put in the ability to change mp3packer's priority, 1.18 will simply change it back. Instead, simply call mp3packer with the right --nice value.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - Vroomfondel, H2G2

Reply #89
Thanks Omion!

Reply #90
Yeah sorry about that guys, there is a problem with the bitrate detection at times. The only sure fire way for WinMP3Packer to determine it would be to read every single packet of the mp3 file... At the moment the program only reads a small sample of the file in order to quickly determine the bitrate so that files can be added to the list and the type of file (e.g. VBR, CBR) and the bitrate are shown.

For now, if you are having problems with this and files are getting skipped in the conversion process, use the saved setting with 'Force' on it, or tick the 'All' checkbox for the input types.

I will have to consider changing the program in the future to 'properly' check the bitrate and type of file. I've been busy working as a programmer lately so don't have as much spare time as I used to... I'll try and make some time soon though.

Thanks for your patience

does that have any impact on the compression of the file? Because I don't care what bitrate is shown as long as it compresses it the right way.
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #91
does that have any impact on the compression of the file? Because I don't care what bitrate is shown as long as it compresses it the right way.

If you select one of the 'force' preset settings or use the 'All' option instead of 'Automatic' on in the input types section should be a good 'catch-all'. The program uses quick (and sometimes incorrect) bitrate determining method to figure out what files to process in the 'Automatic' mode.

Reply #92
I've always liked the fact that WinMP3Packer displays the command line that's it's using. And I was just wondering if the command line could be "opened up" for use? i.e. have a checkbox that either allows the user to use WinMP3Packer as it is now (all GUI based with checkboxes etc) or disables all the GUI stuff and simply allows the command line.

Now I know of course that I can do that with mp3packer (indeed I do), however it would allow those that have a preference for a GUI app to do both from the same app.

Also, any changes that Omion makes to mp3packer can then be used by WinMP3Packer without you (psyllium) having to make any modifications. For example, the newest addition is the priority-changing --nice switch. This cannot be used with WinMP3Packer as their is no GUI option to set it. But if the command line was opened up then we could use it and u wouldn't need to change WinMP3Packer until u had time.

Reply #93
Hey guys just letting you know that a new version is in the works, Unfortunately it will require the .NET runtime version 2.0 as opposed to 1.1 previously.

If you want to do some alpha testing let me know and I can send you a copy.

Reply #94
Hi!
Is the new version written in C#? Could you please release the source code! I'd like to take a look at it and maybe do some developement.

Reply #95
Hi everyone!!!

First of all thanx to the devellopers of such great apps!!!

But I've got a little problem over here: I use a wonderfull Apple G4 powerbook, and I really can't figure out how the OSX version of mp3 packer works...!!!
It opens up terminal, writes down the commands an thats it. Seems frozen after that!

Could someone help me!!! I need this program real bad: I use Pioneer CDJ200s which don't support VBR.

Thanx!

Reply #96
Hi everyone!!!

First of all thanx to the devellopers of such great apps!!!

But I've got a little problem over here: I use a wonderfull Apple G4 powerbook, and I really can't figure out how the OSX version of mp3 packer works...!!!
It opens up terminal, writes down the commands an thats it. Seems frozen after that!

Could someone help me!!! I need this program real bad: I use Pioneer CDJ200s which don't support VBR.

Thanx!

It's suggested that you first open up a terminal, and then you run mp3packer from inside it by typing the commands. If you run it on its own it won't let you do much. I'd suggest reading up on how to use the terminal in OSX a bit before tackling this baby... either that or someone knowledgeable in OSX should be able to help you out with it. You'd be better off asking in the mp3packer thread, here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=32379 as this thread is for WinMP3Packer, the Windows GUI.

Reply #97
Here is where I got it: http://kamikazow.fortunecity.de/

So there is a source code folder and a mp3packer folder.

What on earth am I supposed to do with this???

If only people knew how to ripp there CDs...

thnx

Reply #98
Here is where I got it: http://kamikazow.fortunecity.de/

So there is a source code folder and a mp3packer folder.

What on earth am I supposed to do with this???

If only people knew how to ripp there CDs...

thnx

If you are not comfortable with the terminal, then it's somewhat difficult to use. Figuring out where everything is on the OSX file system is actually not easy. But here's how you do it.

Download the Mac OSX version, and it will give you three files: gpl.txt, mp3packer.html, and mp3packer. It will probably put these files in a folder named "mp3packer" on your desktop.

Open a terminal (I click on the spotlight and type "terminal" - it's the top hit) and type:
cd ~/Desktop/mp3packer
./mp3packer inputfile.mp3 outputfile.mp3

The problems occur since OSX doesn't really give a good indication where things are in the file system. If you have files on an external hard drive, it's probably located in "/Volumes/harddrivename/filename.mp3". Your music folder is in "~/Music". Oh, and case matters (usually) - "file.mp3" is different from "FILE.MP3"... but I probably just made you more confused with these instructions.

OSX is really easy to use if everybody uses the happy-fun GUI, but they hide so much of the underlying system that very few people know how to get around in a terminal.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - Vroomfondel, H2G2

Reply #99
Besides the (easy to fix imho), overflow issue, i have found another one.

At least with my laptop, that is using double the dpi font size, if i maximize winmp3repacker, and close it, when i re-open it, the screen is still maximized, but half the controls are out of the screen. So i have to un-maximize, close, and re-open.

Both things are not major, but very annoying.