Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: --alt-preset insane (Read 3794 times) previous topic - next topic

--alt-preset insane

If i encode some of my Cds into MP3s --alt-preset insane, should my mp3 player support it ( able to read it ? )

my mp3 player is a CD mps player so size doesn't matter to me....

--alt-preset insane

Reply #1
I don't see why that wouldn't work. Lame presets don't violate the mp3 standard as far as I know.

--alt-preset insane

Reply #2
Yes they should, however:
Some player do not support VBR or have a bitrate limit.
If the player has a bitrate limit I guess it could have trouble with  --alt-preset insane.
However if the player doesn't support VBR or a bitrates (in the mp3 specs of course) it should be considered broken and not mp3 compatible and returned.

--alt-preset insane

Reply #3
What bitrate and everything is alt preset insane anyway?

--alt-preset insane

Reply #5
Most of the mp3 CD portables that I know do come with a bitrate limit and it’s usually within the range of 8-320 Kbps. My Sony D-CJ01 supports MP3 bitrates from 16-320Kbps. So far I’ve played MP3s in –-ape & with no problem. This means that my portable supports VBR but I have yet to see how it does in –-api. I would imagine that if a portable supports up to the limit of 320 Kbps, --api should work unless during encoding it took a spike out of the limit. (I don’t know whether or not this is possible.)

--alt-preset insane

Reply #6
No, it's not, unless you use the freeformat option (which would produce non-standard MP3s with higher bitrates than 320kbps). If your player supports up to 320kbps, it's not a "limit" at all.

--alt-preset insane

Reply #7
I think so. Sometimes, people just want perfection without tweaking to death. I'm now using --alt preset extreme, to save space. Although why not allow --alt preset insane?