Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Portable lightweight Opus compatible player (Read 5156 times) previous topic - next topic

Portable lightweight Opus compatible player

I've been a huge fan of the Sandisk Clip series that supported Rockbox. They support any filetype you throw at them because of Rockbox. Now my wife's Sandisk is broken, I gave her mine so I can look out for a new Rockbox compatible player.

What at first seemed easy, turn out te be a difficult task. The Sandisk players aren't there anymore, the "successors" are embedded players with much less Ram and do not support Rockbox. Also the sound quality of the original Clip's was very good, this has been tested, the new one's are not that great from what I read.

Is there any alternative that does support Opus? I would prefer to "clip" them on my shirt while running, so a heavy player is not an option. Seems the market for portable players is getting smaller because people tend to use the smartphone they carry with them all the time, but for running this is not really a great option, my Samsung S5 is quite heavy.

Re: Portable lightweight Opus compatible player

Reply #1
Why not just buy another Clip+?

Reply #2
I did a bit of searching around on this same issue recently and concluded that the options were:

-buy a rockbox compatible clip - now apparently only available on ebay - usually "refurbished", dubious warranty and not cheap
-buy one of the newer non rockbox compatible clips - and go back to vorbis
-use an old android phone to play opus files - in my case I had an old phone available and the weight is not such a big deal for me

There may be some more recent news on the rockbox forum but last time I checked there were no new devices. There is apparently some new fork called vortex but I have not tried it so cannot comment.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Reply #3
Guess I better buy an arm belt for my Galaxy phone then and use that instead.

On the other hand that would make Opus playing unnecessary because I can stream radio via 4G then.

Thanks for helping. Too bad Rockbox is on it's way back. Good compatible players are rare nowadays. I have a iAudio X5L laying around with a bad battery. It also is heavier than my phone, so quite useless these days. The harddisk is smaller than a cheap 32GB SD card.

Reply #4
Depending on the hard disk interface, you could carry out a solid state conversion on the X5L.

I put a 32GB CF card, with adapter, into an iPod (some time ago now) and it's worked perfectly since.
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #5
Depending on the hard disk interface, you could carry out a solid state conversion on the X5L.

I put a 32GB CF card, with adapter, into an iPod (some time ago now) and it's worked perfectly since.

Could be a solution, but the fact that the battery needs to be replaced AND the unit is heavier than a modern smartphone I could better stick with the phone. When exercising a phone can always come in handy, when there is a situation (accident) or when (what happend to me) my back just "snapped", not litterally, but I don't know how you call it in English, but I could barely walk afterwards (for several weeks).

Reply #6
Oh my life, I've just seen the prices. It looks like I should have invested in a room full of Sansa Clip Zips a couple of years ago when you could buy them for £25.

Reply #7
Oh my life, I've just seen the prices. It looks like I should have invested in a room full of Sansa Clip Zips a couple of years ago when you could buy them for £25.

Indeed, those Sandisks perform very well (output). Are lightweight and do just what I want them to do. Really miss them. I have one here but the PCB is not good, when I press on one side of the PCB the display goes on, the other side it goes off. Unfixable unfortunately, soldering/bearing under the cpu probably loose.

Helaas pindakaas ;-) (in dutch :P )

Reply #8
I was wondering if you encode a opus file could you just rename it to ******.ogg and play it using a Fiio device?

EDIT NO DON'T TRY IT WILL CAUSE A ERROR AND HAVE TO RESET IT