Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: freedb tagger problems (Read 9671 times) previous topic - next topic

freedb tagger problems

freedb tagger doesn't work here anymore. Everytime i get a message like this (with albums that were found before with foobar's freedb tagger and still found with mp3tag's freedb tagger):

No information found on server for files:

"file://D:\Mucke\_new\Penta - Pentafiles\01. Penta - Disgusting Creatures.mp3" (0)
"file://D:\Mucke\_new\Penta - Pentafiles\02. Penta - Leave A Message.mp3" (0)
"file://D:\Mucke\_new\Penta - Pentafiles\03. Penta - 1190.mp3" (0)
"file://D:\Mucke\_new\Penta - Pentafiles\04. Penta - Collaboration.mp3" (0)
"file://D:\Mucke\_new\Penta - Pentafiles\05. Penta - Neurotic Cell.mp3" (0)
"file://D:\Mucke\_new\Penta - Pentafiles\06. Penta - Time Warp.mp3" (0)
"file://D:\Mucke\_new\Penta - Pentafiles\07. Penta - Lost In Space.mp3" (0)
"file://D:\Mucke\_new\Penta - Pentafiles\08. Penta - Every Machine.mp3" (0)

I guess it's since this release, but i cannot check, cause i haven't an older version of foobar anymore. A few days ago the freedb tagger worked, and i changed nothing else than this update.

Components:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

//edit: sorry for spamming the news-topic. Sometimes the fingers are faster than the brain.

freedb tagger problems

Reply #1
Must be another problem. I found foobar2000 v0.9.6.3 installed on an usb-stick, and there is the same problem. It seems that it has nothing to do with the new version. I think I haven't changed anything here on my pc since the freedb tagger worked a few days ago.

freedb tagger problems

Reply #3
Solved. Trivial problem. Changing/updating the freedb-server (press the retrieve-button) in preferences is the solution.

freedb tagger problems

Reply #4
Solved. Trivial problem. Changing/updating the freedb-server (press the retrieve-button) in preferences is the solution.

I'm having the same problem but chaning/updating with the retrieve button doesn't solve the problem.  Don't know what the problem is, like the others above has said it worked a few days ago and now it doesn't.  Freedb site doesn't appear to be down because it can be accessed from the browser and searched.

freedb tagger problems

Reply #5
I have been having some problems with the default freedb server settings too.
After using the following settings it worked again:

Server: freedb.freedb.org
Port: 80
Addres: /~cddb/cddb.cgi

Maybe this will do it for you too.

Posted this in another thread in "general" too but had no feedback yet if it did the trick for the OP there.

freedb tagger problems

Reply #6
@endeeinn: Maybe you have to update manually. These are my settings after updating:

//edit: too slow

freedb tagger problems

Reply #8
Yeah, this -kind of- works but didnt freedb more or less close down in 2006 and therfore freedb2 aka tracktype was started? One can still access the freedb-data but arent they completely outdated? Nothing that is not at least 3 years old will be in there -so no actual information will be found -or am I mistaken?

freedb tagger problems

Reply #10
I have found the musicbrainz tagger to give excellent results. Sometimes he will not find an album that is listed in the musicbrainz db and you have to search it manually, but apart from that and the missing integration into the CD ripping dialog it works flawlessly.

freedb tagger problems

Reply #11
i added musicbrainz to my foobar-config and its not bad -but freedb has the advantage of being able to retrive album-tags by length of tracks with 2 klicks, that is very convenient and timesaving. musicbrainz asks for artist and title -what do i enter if i wnat to tag a sampler?

freedb tagger problems

Reply #12
MusicBrainz has a freedb gateway:

Server: freedb.musicbrainz.org
Address: /~cddb/cddb.cgi

freedb tagger problems

Reply #13
That one isnt working for me at all.

And the one dubpistol and me posted really seems to work only on old releases

freedb tagger problems

Reply #14
FWIW MusicBrainz isn't working for me either

freedb tagger problems

Reply #15
I never noticed that I don't get any matches on ripped files before. It works for me with Audio CDs, but I only use it on them so I guess that's why I never noticed.

freedb tagger problems

Reply #16
Code: [Select]
cddb request via http: [url=http://freedb2.org/~cddb/cddb.cgi?cmd=cddb+query+7709CE09+9+0+18021+42506+57458+76439+89969+116162+144446+165596+2510&hello=x+googlemail.com+foo_freedb2+0.6.1&proto=6]http://freedb2.org/~cddb/cddb.cgi?cmd=cddb...6.1&proto=6[/url]
cddb response: 211 close matches found
CDDB query failed
CDDB: No category found in response

The "No category found in response" seems to comes up every time...

freedb tagger problems

Reply #17
The "No category found in response" seems to comes up every time...
The reply to this query is as follows (you can see it for yourself, if you copy the URL from the foobar2000 console into the address bar of your browser):
211 close matches found

The protocol specification states that the 211 status code indicates that a list of matches will follow. Obviously, the freedb2 server didn't send any matches. For comparison, here is the proper reply from freedb.freedb.org for the same request:
211 Found inexact matches, list follows (until terminating `.')
rock 7009bf09 Dire Straits / Dire Straits
rock 6c09cb09 Dire Straits / Dire Straits
rock 5e09d109 Dire Straits / Dire Straits (Remastered)
rock 7c09b609 Dire Straits / Dire Straits
rock 7909cb09 Dire Straits / Dire Straits
rock 7b09cb09 Dire Straits / Dire Straits
rock 5b09cf09 Dire Straits / Dire Straits
rock 5b09d009 Dire Straits / Dire Straits
rock 5f09d109 Dire Straits / Dire Straits
rock 6709da09 Dire Straits / Dire Straits
rock 6d09e009 Dire Straits / Dire Straits
rock 7609e309 Dire Straits / Dire Straits

freedb tagger problems

Reply #18
I never noticed that I don't get any matches on ripped files before. It works for me with Audio CDs, but I only use it on them so I guess that's why I never noticed.
If you use it with an audio CD, the freedb plugin can use the proper disc ID which is provided as technical information field by the CDDA input. If you use ripped files, the freedb plugin has to estimate the disc ID and rely on the fuzzy matching that is performed by the server.

freedb tagger problems

Reply #19
I don't really understand this. Does it mean the freedb tagger only works for inserted Audio CDs?

I get the error message for any of my MP3 albums. And I have entered all the basic MP3 tags like Album and Artist correctly.

freedb tagger problems

Reply #20
AFAIK that the MusicBrainz freedb gateway only works using the CD's TOC (i.e. only works tagging for CDs, not to tag digital files on the computer). See here.
FuzzyLogic's suggestion works for me:-
Set your freedb settings to:
Server: freedb.freedb.org
Addres: /~cddb/cddb.cgi

Of course there is also bubbleguuum's foo_discogs, and Dremora's foo_musicbrainz for your tagging needs.
Anish