Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Impedance switch on a Class-D amp? (Read 1803 times) previous topic - next topic

Impedance switch on a Class-D amp?

Hi all. I recently bought one of the little Vox MV50 guitar amps. This uses the NuTube preamp tube, but is a class D amp. I don't understand why this thing would have an impedance switch on the back. I didn't think that mattered with a class-D amp. (Or any other solid-state amp, for that matter.) Is this just a marketing gimmick to help create the illusion that this is a "tube" amp? Or is this actually needed in this application?

Thanks all;
Artie

Re: Impedance switch on a Class-D amp?

Reply #1
It probably just caps the power so that you don't damage low impedance speakers. 

Reply #2
Actually it can mather with class-D but that depends of the design, this is rare as most class-D are designed in a way that this don't happen, in the class-D the output speaker impedance can affect the response of the output filter an this switch can possibly tune the output filter to obtain allways the same response.

Reply #3
Actually it can mather with class-D but that depends of the design, this is rare as most class-D are designed in a way that this don't happen, in the class-D the output speaker impedance can affect the response of the output filter an this switch can possibly tune the output filter to obtain allways the same response.

Yeah . . . I was thinking it was just a tone-shaping option. I suppose I could switch it while using the same speaker and hear what difference it might make. I'd do this, of course, at lower volumes.