Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is there a list of all standardized ID3 tags? (Read 17065 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there a list of all standardized ID3 tags?

Reply #2
Which one of them (2.3, 2.4) should I "use"?

Reply #3
Which one of them (2.3, 2.4) should I "use"?

2.4 is rather unpopular and lacks compatibility in many cases, e.g. iTunes displays squares at the end of a song's title (just read the many complaints 'bout this issue in these forums), and two of my hardware players refuse reading it at all. One of them also has its problems reading unicode tags. Hence, for the best possible compatibility I recommend writing ID3v2.3 tags in the ISO 8859 format.

Reply #4
So, I'll just read the 2.3 info linked to above and add those tags in foobar? Or do I have to configure foobar to use 2.3 and not 2.4?

Reply #5
So, I'll just read the 2.3 info linked to above and add those tags in foobar? Or do I have to configure foobar to use 2.3 and not 2.4?

Go to Preferences\Advanced\Tagging\MP3 and set ID3v2 as preferred tag writing scheme, then activate the "ID3v2 Writer Compatibility Mode". Foobar will write 2.3 tags with this option enabled, though UTF-16 instead of ISO 8859. So far I haven't found any way to make it use the ISO format, if there's one and I'm too stupid to find it, someone please enlighten me. For the time being I encode to MP3 using foobar, then I let it calculate the ReplayGain values and in a last step I convert the files' unicode tags to ISO 8859 using MP3tag. If you don't want to listen to your MP3 collection on a portable or if the unicode tags are read flawlessly by your device(s), then you can safely forget the conversion step.

Reply #6
Thanks, I'll try that when I get home. Does anyone know whether Creative Zen Touch can read UTF-16?

And also, if I want to add a tag, say original artist/performer, is all I should do just enter a new tag in foobar called TOPE and then add the name in the text field?

Reply #7
And also, if I want to add a tag, say original artist/performer, is all I should do just enter a new tag in foobar called TOPE and then add the name in the text field?

No, in foobar the tag's name must be ORIGINAL ARTIST instead of TOPE, or COPYRIGHT instead of TCOP. Although foobar writes the tag types following the ID3v2 specification it needs their descriptive names. I just made a small test to verifiy this. Adding TOPE didn't work at all, while ORIGINAL ARTIST was properly saved. Checking the file's tag in Winamp's in_mad MP3 plugin revealed that foobar had actually added the correct TOPE  tag type.

That might sound a little confusing, but it's really simple to use since foobar's metadata window already offers 13 pre-configured tag types as default anyway, hence you won't have to breed above the question which description matches which tag type.

Reply #8
Thanks, I'll try that when I get home. Does anyone know whether Creative Zen Touch can read UTF-16?

I have a zen touch and it displays title, artist, album, genre and track number tags written by foobar, if I remember correctly, but appears to have a character limit. I don't have time to confirm this at the moment though and my situation may be slightly complicated as I haven't been using windows recently.

Reply #9
Thanks Junon, that clarified a wee bit. But where can I see which "foobar-tags" match which actual tags? Sure, the included 13 pre-configured ones are nice, but I want them all. How about lyrics? Are USLT and SYLT used? And if I want to view info in e.g. the Track Info panel, should I use ORIGINAL ARTIST or TOPE?

IMHO, foobar is complicating things this way, because now I have to learn two sets of matching tags.

Reply #10
Or even better - is there a plugin that includes all of the standardized tags? Like foobar's default one, only much more comprehensive?

Reply #11
But where can I see which "foobar-tags" match which actual tags?

For ID3 tags, please refer to the ID3 tag mapping table.

IMHO, foobar is complicating things this way, because now I have to learn two sets of matching tags.

Think of multiple audio codecs and thus multiple metadata formats (ID3v2, APEv2, VorbisComments).

Tagging would be much more complicated if you would have to learn the field names which are used inside of each of those standards. When you store a simple information such as a tracknumber, it might be stored as "TRCK" in the case ID3v2, "Track" (VorbisComment), "Tracknumber" (APEv2), or in the case of ID3v1 with no field name at all but at a defined position (byte 126) of the tag. Imagine you would have to check which kind of audio file you are tagging at the moment, and imagine it wouldn't possible to edit multiple formats at once.

This kind of abstraction layer is a good thing.

And if I want to view info in e.g. the Track Info panel, should I use ORIGINAL ARTIST or TOPE?

Just enclose the field name in percent signs: %original artist%.

Like foobar's default one, only much more comprehensive?

You can add fields to the Properties dialog at Preferences | Advanced.

Reply #12
You shouldn't worry about the ID3v2 tags real frame names, but only about the name of the tag, as that is what you specify in fb2k and all other apps also. Matching the defined tags together with the correct frame names is the used apps job and not your's. Also, the ID3v2 standard supports custom tags(TXXX frames), so you can even make up your own tags besides the ones defined in the standard allready. One thing that is important though, is that if you use the option "ID3v2 Writer Compatibility Mode", then i believe that only some tags are defined and that custom tags aren't supported IIRC.

CU, Martin.

Edit: Frank Bicking was faster...

Reply #13
This kind of abstraction layer is a good thing.

Ah, I didn't think of that. Of course, I see it now.

I've tried a few external tag editing applications now, and currently mp3tag 2.37 is doing the job best, with its list of all the standardized tags (I think). I'll try some more in a few hours and see how it all turns out.

Reply #14
One more question - foobar uses UNSYNCED LYRICS for the USLT tag, but what about synced lyrics (SYLT)? Doesn't foobar have its own tag name for that?

Another question: Are the field names listed here the only ones that foobar support?

Reply #15
Another question: Are the field names listed here the only ones that foobar support?

No, but they are the ones natively supported i.e. the frame names which fb2k knows and maps to accordingly. Besides these, then all other field names are also supported as custom fields using TXXX frames.

CU, Martin.

Reply #16
I meant native, of course. Is there a plugin of some sort that adds support for more field names and tags?

Reply #17
When I use the compatibility mode, I can't add a tag with a field name that is not natively supported. Why is that?

Reply #18
[...] One thing that is important though, is that if you use the option "ID3v2 Writer Compatibility Mode", then i believe that only some tags are defined and that custom tags aren't supported IIRC.

Compatibility mode was never meant to be a full ID3v2.3 implementation, but only a restricted alternative to the default ID3v2.4 implementation.

Reply #19
How can I use ID3v2.3, then?

Reply #20
Well, you can either stick to the supported ID3v2.3 fields that fb2k supports in it's compatibility mode, or else you can use ID3v2.4 in fb2k and then rewrite the tags to ID3v2.3 tags in either UTF-16 or ISO mode using Mp3tag.

Reply #21
Ok then, thanks for all help!  But the questions keep coming: Is there a plugin to add support for other standardized frames as well (e.g. the involved people list, TIPL)? Perhaps one where you can customize your own overlay names/field names?