Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How does Opus compare to AAC HE-v2 for music? (Read 9220 times) previous topic - next topic

How does Opus compare to AAC HE-v2 for music?

It's been said that Opus is superior to AAC at low bitrates and I'm curious what that means.  What bitrate, for example, would Opus need to provide roughly equal sound quality with an AAC (HE-v2) track encoded at 48 kbps?

Re: How does Opus compare to AAC HE-v2 for music?

Reply #1
I can only  provide some of my old personal tests.

48 kbps.

Warning: This was Opus 1.2 early alpha. 1.2.1 final version contains some very important improvements.
I compared it with FhG HE-AAC (latest Winamp) encoder which was the best encoder at 32-48 kbps according to my internal tests (until Opus 1.2 has appeared)

Scores:
Opus 1.2 early alpha - 3.68
FhG HE-AAC - 3.41

Code: [Select]
	FhG HEAAC	Opus 1.2a LBR TUNE
01 Castanets 2,5 3,6
02 fatboy 2,6 4,5
03 eig 2,6 4
04 bachrprichord 4,1 3,6
05 enola 3,8 3
06 trumpet 4,1 4,1
07 applaud 3,7 3,4
08 velvet 2,7 2,8
09 linchipin 3,5 3
10 spill 4 3,5
11 female speech 4,3 4,8
12 french ad 3 3,9

Average Score 3,408 3,683

32 kbps.
Again, only Opus 1.2 alpha results. Not final 1.2.1.
I have compared to FhG HE-AACv2 again but now at ~32 kbps VBR. 
Scores:
Opus 1.2 alpha - 3.22
FhG HE-AACv2 - 2.92

Link https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,114234.msg941691.html#msg941691

P.S. You can make your own tests and  share them here.

Reply #2
Thank you, that's very helpful. 

And forgive me for being obtuse, but are higher numbers better here?  And does the standalone OpusEnc encoder produce different results than the one in the latest ffmpeg?

Reply #3
Higher is better.

Ffmpeg can use either libopus or it's experimental native decoder. You want to use libopus.

Reply #4
Thank you, that's very helpful. 

And forgive me for being obtuse, but are higher numbers better here?
You're welcome.
Yes, "1" means very annoying, "5" - impercetbile.  Like here https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,100896.0.html
http://i44.tinypic.com/2133c6c.png

Also I highly suggest to perform your own tests because results vary a lot for different listeners, hardware and  preferments.
I.e. I have performed the same test but on speakers (previous tests were made on headphones) on Opus vs HE-AACv2 at 32 kbps and both were on par.  Seems like artifacts of parametric stereo are more forgiving on speakers.

All in all,  HE-AACv2  and Opus are in the same league at 32 kbps VBR. More tests are needed.
While Opus has an advantage at 48 kbps and higher.