Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC: Issues moving from v1.1 to v1.5 (Read 1238 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC: Issues moving from v1.1 to v1.5

Hi, I hadn't updated EAC on my PC in a long time, I was stuck on version 1.1 from 2015-16 I think.
Yesterday, since Freedb wasn't working, I had the bad idea of installing the latest version without making a backup of my settings.

Regardless I think I set everything up the way I want to, but when I encoded 2 new CDs I just bought EAC was incredibly slow, like 10 times slower than it was before if not more. It wasn't the compression with LAME taking time but the extraction and no, it wasn't because of error, it was just reading at 1.X speed and being super slow for whatever reason.

I'm a big fat noob with these things, can anybody give me a suggestion on which settings to check for?
I found the "automatically reduce speed" option, deactivated it but no change.
I tried to put "40x" instead of default in the drive speed option, but no change.
I'm not even sure drive speed is the issue here, I don't remember how fast EAC 1.1 was reading discs but what I know is that it wasn't taking this long to encode tracks, not at all.

Re: EAC: Issues moving from v1.1 to v1.5

Reply #1
I experienced similar behavior in one variant of the program during beta testing but disappeared after a subsequent install and I couldn't reproduce. 
...Yesterday, since Freedb wasn't working, I had the bad idea of installing the latest version without making a backup of my settings.
Uninstalling EAC doesn't remove the settings stored in the registry so if you upgraded from v1.1, the settings (for the most part) should remain (but that doesn't eliminate possible corruption).

After backing up the current settings (registry and profile), I'd try a clean install (uninstall program AND remove current registry settings).

reference info:
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Category:EAC_Guides
korth

Reply #2
Could 1.1 registry settings be causing conflicts with the new 1.5 install? That could be the culprit, even though I'm a bit skeptic.

I'm not sure, what would you folks do in my position? Uninstall 1.5, clear registries with something like ccleaner, then go for a fresh 1.5 install and complete the EAC configuration wizard again?
Decades of using EAC and I've been lucky enough to never experience anything like this before :-(

Reply #3
Could 1.1 registry settings be causing conflicts with the new 1.5 install?
Assuming no corruption, the 1.1 registry settings should not be a problem.

If you delete the registry settings, the configuration wizard will run on the next start so you could try that instead of a reinstall. Either way I'd backup the current settings so you can return to the current state if wish. Registry location
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\AWSoftware\EACU
korth