Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Trying to figure custom meta-data on mp3 files (Read 1137 times) previous topic - next topic

Trying to figure custom meta-data on mp3 files

hi folks,

My first post here... I have been following and learning from hydrogen audio for a while. I am a power user of linux and my go to tool for most audio and video processing is ffmpeg. I know a good amount of information on audio transcoding, albeit I am not a professional.

I have a collection of some music files, which have some proprietary/custom metadata information, which I am trying to extract and was looking for some help... There is no standard IDx tagging on the files.

Was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction...

G
[any enthusiasts from India, you would perhaps be interested too  :)) ]

Re: Trying to figure custom meta-data on mp3 files

Reply #1
I don't know if this will help with whatever you're trying to do, but you might try a Hex Editor.   A hex editor is really a programmer's tool and it will show all of the bytes in any file in hexadecimal  (and/or you can edit the data) and it will also show the ASCII characters for any values that can represent text characters and you can search for text.

Note - The hex editor doesn't "know" what the bytes represent so everywhere you see a value of 65 (41 hex) you'll see an "A" even if that byte is part of the audio data or something else.

Re: Trying to figure custom meta-data on mp3 files

Reply #2
I have a collection of some music files, which have some proprietary/custom metadata information, which I am trying to extract and was looking for some help...
What are you trying to do, really? Read them? Understand why they are there?

There are taggers available for Linux. Puddletag and MusicBrainz Picard. And people have gotten Mp3tag to work under Wine.