Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS #2, #5, #8, cluelessness and their responses]  (Read 33300 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS #2, #5, #8, cluelessness and their responses]

Reply #100
It's interesting that you prefer your M-Audio card and software to a proper test set, considering that the M-Audio card has zero response over 20K. Don't you think that the lack of a proper wideband analyzer might possibly be skewing your results a bit?

Wrong again! The M-Audio Audiophile 24192 samples at up to 192 KHz (driver limit), which implies response up to 96 KHz. Actual measurements find that this is indeed the case.

One might think that nobody who is at all familiar with modern digital audio trends would see that the name of the card is 24192 and *not* discern that this means 24 bit data at 192 KHz...

Time John to rest up before you post here, I guess! ;-)

Reply #101
In the meantime they are largely responsible for bloating this thread into a near-state of uselessness.  Perhaps this was their intention, I don't know.

I think that their intentions were actually pretty sincere, and they thought that they might be able to straighten us out.

Unfortunately, they are setting what may be new records for posting obviously wrong statements here. This is probably because IME most active recordists and live sound people are the results of more OJT and less orthodox engineering education.

It used to be that it took a true engineering background to run a live sound or recording system (say, before WW2). As technology advanced, the actual technical requirements slid back to maybe the equivalent of an associate's degree. (ca. Vietnam war).

Today, sufficiently motivated high school dropouts can and have been very successful at doing either. , I would rate OJT as being more important than formal technical training.

Reply #102
Arnold, what's "OJT"?

Reply #104
Can you, say, attenuate the level by .775 percent, or any other arbitrary percent, and NOT round or truncate?

Yes, after you increase the input bitdepth, e.g. from 16-24 bit, there are a couple of possible lossless multiplications. But I don't see the need to explain it to you. Your whole angle is senseless, and tells either that you are again trolling or just clueless. One can choose arbitrary precision in digital systems, until they by far surpasses the SNR of any thinkable analog system.

Reply #105
There seems to be a lot of confusion about the difference between bit depth and intensity. 

Then again, previous posts have SWORN that multiplication operations within digital systems are linear.  Are you suggesting that they are mistaken?

I don't know that any such posts actually exist. Why don't you quote one?

Of course, multiplication is  not a linear operation. High school algebra, no?

I suspect that multiplication was not what was being talked about.

You have such a nice tone, Arny.  Smooth.  Makes your partner feel warm and loved.  I bet you have to turn women down on a regular basis.

multiplication isn't linear?

ouch!

surely?

Multiplication is PERFECTLY linear, except for that pesky thing, the irrational numbers...which happen to be a bit of a mutt in the purebred show, when you're talking about discrete intervals.

Integers (i.e. digital PCM code) tends to lose them, no?

So, can gain changes ever be said to be linear in digital, but for the special case?  OR does dither save the day?

Reply #106
Yes, multiplication is a linear operation. And personal attacks have no place in a technical and/or civilized discussion, no matter who starts them. They just dilute the information content of the forum.

Sometimes I think this forum is the online version of the three stooges...where shemp slaps moe, and in retaliation, moe slaps curly.

and I'm curly.

So we have a conundrum here?  or is it just a semantic flip?