Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Extract Audio From Matroska MKV File (Read 11307 times) previous topic - next topic

Extract Audio From Matroska MKV File

Does anyone know how to extract audio from a mkv file?  I have a mp4 audio file in there and I want extract it.  But each time I do I am unable to play the file back.

Thanks

Reply #1
Does anyone know how to extract audio from a mkv file?
Yes, but...
I have a mp4 audio file in there and I want extract it.  But each time I do I am unable to play the file back.
I think it should be aac inside the mkv, not a mp4.

Anyways, what you want to do is download and install mkvtoolnix.  You want to use mkvextract.exe, which unfortunatly doesn't have a gui. But it should be pretty easy. If your mkv file is just plain video + audio, the command line will almost certianly be
Code: [Select]
mkvextract tracks "yourmovie.mkv" 2:audio.aac

If you have a file with more than two tracks, read the help. In the doc directory there is a good manual that shows how to use mkvextract for more complicated tasks.

Reply #2
Thanks I'll try that

I did try that commandline script before but it would not playback in fb2k.  The only difference between your example and what I typed in was the number before the audio track file name.  I typed in 1:audio.aac

will that mess things up?

Thanks

Reply #3
Thanks I'll try that

I did try that commandline script before but it would not playback in fb2k.  The only difference between your example and what I typed in was the number before the audio track file name.  I typed in 1:audio.aac

will that mess things up?

Thanks
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=317146"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

First track usually is video.
fb2k 0.9 beta 13.

Reply #4
There is a GUI for mkvextract :

http://corecodec.org/projects/mkvextractgui/

It's just, we usually dont advertise it too much to prevent people from converting our beloved container files into something else  .....

Christian
matroska project admin

Reply #5
mixderax - Thanks, that was exactly the problem, I was extracting the video without realizing it and extracting it as audio.aac!

ChristianHJW - That gui is gonna make my life so much easier!  Thanks

Reply #6
ChristianHJW - That gui is gonna make my life so much easier!  Thanks
... noooooooo, oh my god, what have i done  ....

Reply #7
lol