Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Conversion Error when converting to FLAC (Read 6277 times) previous topic - next topic

Conversion Error when converting to FLAC

After upgrading Foobar from 0.9.4 to 0.9.5, I am now unable to convert files to FLAC. I can convert APE to WAV, but I can't convert either APE or WAV to FLAC. When I try to convert, I get the "Save" dialog box, then the following message:

Error writing to file (Encoder has terminated prematurely with code 1; please re-check parameters) : file://C:\Documents and Settings\Larry\Desktop\01 Hotel California.flac

I'm using Windows XP SP2, Foobar 0.9.5 beta 9 (same problem with beta 5). I've tried saving to different folders, but same result. Trying to convert to FLAC level 5.

Any help would be welcome. Thanks!

Reply #1
Do you use the latest version of flac? If not, I recommend you to upgrade.

Reply #2
Do you use the latest version of flac? If not, I recommend you to upgrade.

Yes, running what I believe is the latest version -- 1.2.1b. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but same problem.

Reply #3
Do you use foobar2000's own frontend or a custom preset? If you use a custom preset, it would help if you post your settings (screenshot).
Do you have libmmd.dll (required for icl compiled binaries)?

Reply #4
flac-1.2.1 version should work.

Reply #5
Do you use foobar2000's own frontend or a custom preset? If you use a custom preset, it would help if you post your settings (screenshot).
Do you have libmmd.dll (required for icl compiled binaries)?

I'm using using Foobar "straight out of the box" ... default user interface ... no custom preset.

Yes, libmmd.dll is installed in the Windows/System32 folder.

Any other ideas?

Reply #8
When I try to convert, I get the "Save" dialog box, then the following message:

Error writing to file (Encoder has terminated prematurely with code 1; please re-check parameters) : file://C:\Documents and Settings\Larry\Desktop\01 Hotel California.flac

I'm using Windows XP SP2, Foobar 0.9.5 beta 9 (same problem with beta 5). I've tried saving to different folders, but same result. Trying to convert to FLAC level 5.

Any help would be welcome. Thanks!

I'm seeing the same thing with beta9, WinXP/SP2, and the nero command-line encoder:

Error writing to file (Encoder has terminated prematurely with code 1; please re-check parameters) : file://L:\foovert\Radiohead\Radiohead 2001-08-07\1 12 I Might Be Wrong.m4a

Reply #9
The only thing left I can imagine is that you got a new version of flac but didn't get rid of the old version (in the foobar or windows directory or someplace else in the %path%). It seems like foobar is still using the old version so search your computer for flac.exe and delete all old versions. If this isn't the issue, I'm quite much out of ideas.

edit: Note that the installer can also be named flac.exe so make sure that foobar doesn't mistakenly try to use this one.

Reply #10
The only thing left I can imagine is that you got a new version of flac but didn't get rid of the old version (in the foobar or windows directory or someplace else in the %path%). It seems like foobar is still using the old version so search your computer for flac.exe and delete all old versions. If this isn't the issue, I'm quite much out of ideas.

edit: Note that the installer can also be named flac.exe so make sure that foobar doesn't mistakenly try to use this one.

+10 for The Link! That's exactly what it was. I had an old version of flac.exe in the /Windows/System32 folder. I removed it. The next time I ran Foobar and attempted to convert to FLAC, I got a dialog box asking me to find flac.exe. I pointed it to the newly installed program, and BINGO!

Thanks!

Reply #11
Hello,

I'm having a similar problem, but I'm trying to go from FLAC to MP3. This worked for me before and the only difference is Vista. I've tried compatibility mode, but the error persists. Actually, I've tried everything suggested in this thread and a couple different versions of LAME. It converts to WAV just fine.

Any ideas?

Reply #12
Get the latest version of foobar2000 (0.9.5 final) and report the error message in the console here.

Reply #13
Alright, the error is a little different on the newest Foobar (Which looks much better!!).

Error flushing file (Unsupported format or corrupted file) : file://D:\New Folder\01 01. Speak to Me.mp3

That's a multichannel file tho. When I tried another regular stereo file, everything's alright. Thanks!

I did manage to get winamp to convert the multichannel file and of course most of it is missing.

Reply #14
As far as I know Lame only supports stereo/mono input so you have to downmix the source or use another encoder.

Reply #15

Any other ideas?

Yes, I have told you. Please use fac - 1.2.1 version, not 1.2.1b

1.2.1 does not work either. But thanks for the advice anyway.

Search your drives for ALL installed versions of flac.exe, remove them. When trying to encode foobar should ask you where to look for flac.exe, point to your new version.
You should now be up and running (I had a flac.exe in the win sys dir - whoever put it there ;-))