Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 1.6.7 beta 8 => Exclusive=> Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported format ! ! (Read 14691 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 1.6.7 beta 8 => Exclusive=> Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported format ! !

Reply #50
foobar2000 1.6.7 beta 12

play some mp3 have Problem.
but i use another software can play.

How is anyone supposed to respond to this?

Re: 1.6.7 beta 8 => Exclusive=> Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported format ! !

Reply #51
I wonder how many users in this forum have an idea of what is exclusive mode and how it is work.
In exclusive mode there's not tolerance on  different sample rate and bitdeph is the most abstract layer in audio on windows.
So, when any app is configured for exclusive mode that means there's not space for another app to stream (hence the name 'exclusive').
Some apps like ASIO4All take advantages of this for more compatibility on certain audio apps like DAW's, Plugin Host's, Editors, Instruments, etc...
But, here in Foobar2000, the output is very specific to the format used. (and nothing to do with the codec). It's about the communication between App and Device, to deliver the most untouched sound possible.
I don't know if I'm clear enough.

Reply #52
Beta 13.

5.1 not playing regression = fixed.
Special fix for FOSTEX devices added, please test. Default settings should be OK on these now; if they aren't, you can override the buffer length to find a working value.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #53
> Special fix for FOSTEX devices added
Amazing! Many Thanks Peter.
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #54
Beta 13 making music here. Maybe it's ready...

Reply #55
I've just tested my Fostex HP-A8c with Beta 13.

44.1/16 - works.
96/24 - works.
192/32 - works.

Thank you for all your hard work in figuring it out especially for us Fostex users.

May i ask what was the special fix needed for the Fostex devices?
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #56
Thanks for testing and confirming.

I made my code check for FOSTEX in device name and use 50ms buffer instead of querying the system default - which seems to be 10ms everywhere and doesn't work with FOSTEX.
Since the above logic may turn out to be faulty, you can manually override the number.
I can't default to 50ms for everyone because that breaks with other cards instead.

I tried to dig up something similar to FOSTEX from my pile of devices, with no luck; even old M-Audio Young works without glitches, so it seems to be an issue isolated to one vendor so far.

If you find another soundcard having similar issues, please let me know so I can investigate.

I know this sounds hacky, but it's really harmless compared to, say, FiiO hacks that I have in my Android code.

Reply #57
Was using 1.6.7 beta 1. Update to 1.6.7 beta 13. Exclusive mode was working fine. Now I get:

Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 88200 Hz / 24-bit / 8 channels (0xFF)

The format is ok, and 8 channels to my DAC always worked (I use a software X-over in foobar). When I choose WASAPI normal mode, I have no problems. If I reinstall the 'now obsolete' Wasapi exclusive component, all works fine as well. ASIO works as well. - Beepexclusive works.

I'm afraid to reinstall the previous version, as this may override the X-over settings I toiled on for so long....
I use an XMOS USB dac, using the USB 2 audio protocol.

Reply #58
Whilst, by manual selection, I can get Exclusive mode in Beta 13 to produce sound at all bit rates and frequencies it is all hugely distorted - even at 16-44.1 - and whatever the output device.  I have never encountered that before (and have never had to select frequency manually).

Perhaps unsurprisingly, normal mode works without problem and without manual selection at any bit rate or frequency, so does ASIO, to which I have reverted.

RME Hammerfall HDSPE AIO Pro on Win10 x64, analogue output to 'speakers, dedicated headphone outlet (Shure SRH1540).

Reply #59
That RME DAC sounds like it's another special case for buffer duration, that Windows itself probably deals with, but exclusive mode leaves it to the app developer to figure this out. Check out Advanced Preferences, search for the buffering setting and maybe experiment. The other DAC series that needed a special override needed 50ms instead of the system default of 10ms.

Reply #60
Which mode does the built in exclusive mode (1.6.7 beta 13+) use, Event or Push? Just curious.
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Reply #61
Which mode does the built in exclusive mode (1.6.7 beta 13+) use, Event or Push? Just curious.
Which is the better?

Reply #63
That RME DAC sounds like it's another special case for buffer duration, that Windows itself probably deals with, but exclusive mode leaves it to the app developer to figure this out. Check out Advanced Preferences, search for the buffering setting and maybe experiment. The other DAC series that needed a special override needed 50ms instead of the system default of 10ms.

Thank you. Setting it to 50ms solves the problem.

However, can you bear to educate me a little further?

As others have noted, previous iterations of Exclusive mode (earlier betas or earlier components) did not require the sample rate or bit depth to be set manually: they played without user intervention.

Whilst I follow at (at a basic level of understanding) the point made by Fabcore above, I don't understand the reasons for the (apparently) changed behaviour. I have tried to learn and follow the received knowledge on this site to use an output method likely to produce the most accurate reproduction but, from a user/listening perspective, having to make regular system alterations to take account of varying sample rates and bit depths is, I confess, a deterrent.  Whilst the vast majority of my music is standard Red Book FLAC, some of it is 24-88 and 24-96 and its a pain to have to make adjustments during the running of a play list.

That's why, despite Peter's advice on the component page about the use of ASIO, I have currently reverted to using it on the RME card. Until I had begun to try and follow the Exclusive mode development I had used RME ASIO for 10 years or more without any problem.

If, to get round the practical usability problems that I describe, I continue to use the RME ASIO driver, what am I missing (and failing to understand)?

TIA

Reply #64
Was using 1.6.7 beta 1. Update to 1.6.7 beta 13. Exclusive mode was working fine. Now I get:

Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 88200 Hz / 24-bit / 8 channels (0xFF)

The format is ok, and 8 channels to my DAC always worked (I use a software X-over in foobar). When I choose WASAPI normal mode, I have no problems. If I reinstall the 'now obsolete' Wasapi exclusive component, all works fine as well. ASIO works as well. - Beepexclusive works.

I'm afraid to reinstall the previous version, as this may override the X-over settings I toiled on for so long....

Does anyone know if installing an older version will overwrite my DSP and theme settings? When I try, it warns that it will overwrite certain settings.... So I have not done that yet.

Reply #65

Thank you. Setting it to 50ms solves the problem.

However, can you bear to educate me a little further?

As others have noted, previous iterations of Exclusive mode (earlier betas or earlier components) did not require the sample rate or bit depth to be set manually: they played without user intervention.

Whilst I follow at (at a basic level of understanding) the point made by Fabcore above, I don't understand the reasons for the (apparently) changed behaviour. I have tried to learn and follow the received knowledge on this site to use an output method likely to produce the most accurate reproduction but, from a user/listening perspective, having to make regular system alterations to take account of varying sample rates and bit depths is, I confess, a deterrent.  Whilst the vast majority of my music is standard Red Book FLAC, some of it is 24-88 and 24-96 and its a pain to have to make adjustments during the running of a play list.

That's why, despite Peter's advice on the component page about the use of ASIO, I have currently reverted to using it on the RME card. Until I had begun to try and follow the Exclusive mode development I had used RME ASIO for 10 years or more without any problem.

If, to get round the practical usability problems that I describe, I continue to use the RME ASIO driver, what am I missing (and failing to understand)?

TIA

If the RME ASIO driver has worked for you for 10 years you should keep using it and not worry about buggy ASIO drivers because obviously the RME driver works for you.

Reply #66
Even with the old WASAPI exclusive mode plugin, you still had to set your system's maximum supported bit depth/data format. Also, I just checked and the built-in exclusive mode does indeed output the music as is, and I get an error trying to play 22.05kHz tracks unless I enable a resampler in my DSP. Behavior seems to be the same as the old plugin now.

Reply #67
Beta 14 playing music here.

Reply #68

Does anyone know if installing an older version will overwrite my DSP and theme settings? When I try, it warns that it will overwrite certain settings.... So I have not done that yet.
reinstalled beta 2, playing 8 channels with buikt in exclusive, 88.2K fs
strange....

Reply #69
Not so strange meooms. WASAPI exclusive code was completely rewritten in beta 7, I recall.

Reply #70
Beta 13 and 14 work great here! Schiit Modius DAC.

I'm still curious as to whether it is using Event or Push, but I suppose it doesn't really matter since it's working. I mostly want to know because my DAC didn't work well with Event before and I'd be pleasantly surprised if the built-in exclusive mode is using Event and it's somehow working now.

Reply #71
Exclusive was working fine in beta 13 with my Chord Qutest DAC, but beta 14 fails to play with all files (any bit rate or resolution), giving me a "Unrecoverable playback error: Waiting for hardware timed out".   Switching back to default (shared) mode plays without issues.

Reply #72
Exclusive was working fine in beta 13 with my Chord Qutest DAC, but beta 14 fails to play with all files (any bit rate or resolution), giving me a "Unrecoverable playback error: Waiting for hardware timed out".   Switching back to default (shared) mode plays without issues.
Try the buffer value of 50ms

Reply #73
Tried buffer set at 20, 50, 80, no difference.   At 100 ms, I get a stuttering output, which just gets worse at any higher setting.

Reply #74
Okay, please stick with beta 13, I'll revert the change as it apparently causes more trouble than benefit.
https://www.foobar2000.org/getfile/foobar2000_v1.6.7_beta_13.exe