Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why xHE-AAC files are not playing on PC and Android 10? (Read 3871 times) previous topic - next topic

Why xHE-AAC files are not playing on PC and Android 10?

I'm converting FLAC to xHE-AAC with latest EXHALE encoder.
But I can't play those songs on my PC (foobar2000).

I'm using Samsung A71 (Android 10).
Those xHE-AAC files are playing but I can't seek forward.
When I try to seek forward the song GLITCHES and doesn't play.

Is there any way to fix it ?

Re: Why xHE-AAC files are not playing on PC and Android 10?

Reply #1
You need an additional component for foobar2000:
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_pd_aac

It works like a charm :)

Unfortunately there are issues on Android Players. The system supports it (Android 9.0 and higher IIRC) so you can play xHE-AAC with some players like Google Music. But seeking issues were already noted and to my knowledge there is no fix for this :/

Reply #2
Foobar2000 plays xHE-AAC on windows fine with the component.  (It has matured in 17 years since I used it last.)

But, it won't play the xHE-AAC on android.  Am I blind to a way to add the component on android to foobar?  File manager + plays it fine.  However, file manager plus and vlc are unacceptable for 18 hours long books, because they loose the place in the book when the android battery dies or the program locks up or is killed--which seems to happen every few hours in the real world.  I think google music also lost my place.

Reply #3
Woo boo!  No luck with Foo bar on Android... But,  this works to play xHE-AAC on my android 10,  it has excellent navigation buttons,  and most importantly it remembers your place when the battery suddenly dies:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mindmine.audiobook

The only problem remaining is that EZ CD audio converter only offers stock bit rates that only go down to 24 kps.   My goal was to use ffmpeg to record 64kps 38 hour speech opus files,  then convert them into 14 or  18 kps xHE-AAC, which would not be as annoying as the grain in the opus files sub 24 kps. 

Exahale doesn't have low bitrate abilities as I understand it.   Main concepts ffmpeg plug in is either $79 or $100,  I can't tell because of the video related wording,  that doesn't translate well to my audio focused brain.  And,  EZ cd audio converter does not go below 24 kps, in its gui, at least. (maybe a file or registry setting could be edited?)