Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: how to get the lower bitrates? (Read 42214 times) previous topic - next topic

how to get the lower bitrates?

Reply #25
Reading through the FAQs and other threads I can't find anything about using the -Y switch together with
--alt-preset extreme. I tried it and the file size turned out to be almost identical to --alt-preset standard -Y. That means -Y chops off a great portion of the file in conjuncion with the "extreme" preset. So what happens exactly when you use -Y together with the "extreme" preset? Is it advisable? Or does it mess up the encoding totally?

I'd appreciate a short staight answer to this, and not something like "why dontcha ABX it" or "this has been discussed a million times before... sigh". I tried to find the answer myself but ended up asking instead.

Thanx

Reply #26
Using the -Y switch with --ap extreme carries the same recommendation/warning as with --ap standard. It's a good way to save bits for people who cannot hear high frequencies in music. For all frequencies < 16KHz, encoding should be unaffected. Personally, I always use -Y because I can't hear that high. For those with good high-frequency hearing, the quality with --ap extreme -Y will degrade in a similar way to --ap standard -Y (in a way I can't explain because I've never heard it! )

Dibrom has repeatedly stated that --ap extreme offers little benefit to --ap standard, and was included primarily to satisfy people who simply want the "warm fuzzies" from using more bits than --ap standard provides. But if --ap extreme -Y gives you the same bitrate as --ap standard -Y (for the music you've tried it on), then there's no harm in upgrading to --ap extreme -Y.

Reply #27
Thanx for the reply. I'm just thinking that if "extreme" gives files that are roughly 50 kbps larger than "standard", the end result would be about the same after adding the -Y. Since that's not the case, I figure "extreme" puts more effort into the higher frequencies thus losing more bits when adding -Y. The difference is less than 5 kbps, sometimes identical, that's why I got a bit worried and thinking that something got screwed up or just disabled.