Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: --alt-preset medium (Read 30876 times) previous topic - next topic

--alt-preset medium

Reply #50
My optimum quality to size ration for such listening seems to be fine at around -alt-preset cbr 160

My suggestion is to use "-preset 160" (ABR) instead of "-preset cbr 160". ABR provides much better quality than CBR. Or try "-preset medium". I think it will render files around 160 kbps or so. It is (of course) a VBR preset and much better than CBR 160.
//From the barren lands of the Northsmen

--alt-preset medium

Reply #51
--alt-preset standard -Y  only slightly degrades the sound compared to --alt-preset standard. Why not try it.

That will save plenty of bits with only a little reduction in high-end frequency response and is a "safe" method regarding artifacts, so it's a big bang for your buck.

If lowering bitrate is that important, it's probably the safest method (using --lowpass at around 16 kHz is also safe regarding artifacts)

As mentioned, medium is worth a try too if you're using a newer lame version, and this already effectively uses -Y to save bits, plus some more tricks to save a few more without losing too much more quality, and ABR at 160 kbps (--preset 160) is also best if the bitrate consistency is the main factor for you.

All these remove the very highest audible frequencies from all or most of the music using -Y or --lowpass. This provides more bits to avoid audible distortion and other artifacts in the most important frequencies where MP3 is most efficient, and is still better than good FM radio.

--alt-preset medium

Reply #52
It seemed to me that --preset medium delivers the slowest encoding I have ever experienced with LAME.

I know it's not a problem for most people, because of P-IVs, Athlons etc, but not so with me

But if using the preset really gives the best possible quality at bitrates around 150-160, I would nevertheless use it.

Immo

--alt-preset medium

Reply #53
This shouldn't really be attached to this thread, but...

I second DickD's oppinion... use:

--alt-preset standard -Y

This will still preserve SOME high frequency sounds (unlike --lowpass 16) and massively decrease the bitrate. You may also want to consider using --alt-preset fast standard -Y beacause it encodes way faster, and tends to be a few kb smaller. Especially if you use dibrom's MSVC binary instead of the ICS version (saves a few more kb)

if these are STILL too large, i highly recommend ABR over CBR. It sounds MUCH better around 128-160kbps.

--alt-preset medium

Reply #54
It should be noted that using the "fast" standard is going to not provide as high a level of quality as the normal version.  Same thing goes for the MSVC compile vs the ICL one.  Whether or not you will notice this is a different matter, but it should at least be made clear that these drops in bitrate are not "free".

--alt-preset medium

Reply #55
Dibrom, I knew that was the case for fast standard and -Y, but are the differences between the 2 compiles audibly different? Like, have people (with better ears than I) been able to ABX --alt-preset standard between the two compiles? Just curious, I use the ICL one for its speed, but i'd be happy to justify the added bitrates to myself 

--alt-preset medium

Reply #56
I have tried:

--preset medium

in Lame 3.93.1 (from Mitiok site), and it behaves differently than I expected.  Looks like the -b80 is not included there anymore (a few 64 bitrate frames are there).  I made mp3 with the long command:

--alt-preset standard --lowpass 17.5 -b 80 -Y --athaa-sensitivity -11 --nsmsfix 3 -V3

The files are different; this long command brings files slightly smaller, of course, without frames smaller than 80.

Is this normal, or a bug in 3.93.1 implementation?

--alt-preset medium

Reply #57
Is --preset medium going to be further modified in the 3.94 release or can we expect it to stay the same (or almost the same) as in the current alpha? In other words, has the medium (or medium1 which was it finally?) preset been settled?
BTW, is there an estimate on the release of 3.94?