Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Asus Strix SOAR problem (Read 2474 times) previous topic - next topic

Asus Strix SOAR problem

Sorry from now on for my english. I come from a dead Sound Blaster Z, now i've bought an Asus Strix SOAR. When i play certain games the 5.1 audio works very well but in other games the audio output it's only stereo. Also when i listen music or watch a film the output audio is always stereo. This really bugs me 'cause with the Sound Blaster Z the audio output was 5.1 in everything. My question is: there's a solution that can fix this problem? Thank you.

Re: Asus Strix SOAR problem

Reply #1
maybe set the output speakers to 5.1 in Asus control panel and/or in windows audio properties ? Or can it depend on the content played ?

Reply #2
maybe set the output speakers to 5.1 in Asus control panel and/or in windows audio properties ? Or can it depend on the content played ?
The speaker are already set on 5.1, in fact some games has very good sound in 5.1. So i think that depend on the content but at this point i prefere more and more the soundblaster z, despite his frequent pcie fail problem, as it upmix from stereo to 5.1... Perhaps you know if Strix SOAR can upmix from stereo to 5.1?

Reply #3
Sorry I do not know Strix SOAR directly ...

Reply #4
You said the Creative Sound Blaster Z was 5.1 in everything indicating it was upmixing all stereo content rather than routing to the front speakers.

I'm thinking Sound Blaster Z had a feature that was turned on doing that, it *might* exist and be called something else with the Strix SOAR or might not exist at all.  The vast majority of this sound enhancing stuff is added through add-on software that works with that driver specifically and not typically a hardware feature with the card itself and is typically up to the manufacturer of the card to include whatever features they want which they could add or remove in a driver update as they would with hardware features between different models.

What games are you specifically playing that have something like EAX or 5.1 options that are only working in stereo here?  Indicating specific hardware features are required and may need to be manually activated if they exist.  If not ignore this paragraph.  Stereo as your only output option doesn't equal 5.1 mixing here.  This won't make non-games magically 5.1 nor will it make games that don't support it magically 5.1 either.

The other thing is maybe reading the manual and making sure you have the proper drivers installed.  Although ASUS manuals aren't always the best written around and sometimes make no sense at all and the drivers from them are sometimes a pain in the ass.

I don't own a Strix SOAR but I do see some options you can try such as Strix Raid mode and the Virtual Surround.  If those don't work for you, I don't know what to tell you.  I do own the Phoebus though.

Also check the settings of applications you use to play movies and music.  Software that plays DVDs for example typically needs to be configured to output in 5.1.  If you use the Netflix app, make sure the drivers are properly signed.  ASUS sound cards and the Netflix app typically don't like each other too much and you may end up with error messages or plain stereo depending on how things go down.