Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: columns disappearing from properties (Read 2124 times) previous topic - next topic

columns disappearing from properties

hi.

i have a problem: i've set my own columns for the playview but they're not showing in some files' properties. i have roughly 100 files i need to catalogue but in about 50% of the files when i select them on playview, right click and then go to 'properties' these custom columns i've created are not showing.

also a more minor problem is that for some files they're not allowing me to update the 'Date' column. this is a default columna and not my creation. what happens is i copy the 'last modified' date from properties>Properties and paste it to the 'Date' column in properties>Metadata which seems to work but when i click 'Ok' the date isn't showing in the playview and when i right click and access Properties again the date has disappeared.

do you have any solutions for these problems?

Thanks.

Reply #1
?

Custom columns in a playlist never show in an item's properties. There's no relation between properties and the columns of a playlist.

Reply #2
?

Custom columns in a playlist never show in an item's properties. There's no relation between properties and the columns of a playlist.

but in some of the older files these columns i've created are showing in the properties. i do not remember creating them individually every time. 

Reply #3
Columns are for display purposes only. If you make a custom column that coincidentally happens to have the same name as a field in the properties dialog, then it can appear that way.

Try making a column with a nonsense name, and then look at the properties. It will clearly not be there.

Reply #4
Columns are for display purposes only. If you make a custom column that coincidentally happens to have the same name as a field in the properties dialog, then it can appear that way.

Try making a column with a nonsense name, and then look at the properties. It will clearly not be there.

ok.

so you have any idea why i can't edit the 'Date' field in properties?

Reply #5
i have a problem: i've set my own columns for the playview but they're not showing in some files' properties. i have roughly 100 files i need to catalogue but in about 50% of the files when i select them on playview, right click and then go to 'properties' these custom columns i've created are not showing.

I suspect you may be using the wrong terminology. You seem to be saying some of your files do not display something in Properties that others do, and this leads me to believe you're saying "columns" when you mean something else. Can you open a file in Properties that you've observed is missing a "column" and grab a screenshot of it to post? If you can, please annotate it and explain exactly what is missing.

also a more minor problem is that for some files they're not allowing me to update the 'Date' column. this is a default columna and not my creation. what happens is i copy the 'last modified' date from properties>Properties and paste it to the 'Date' column in properties>Metadata which seems to work but when i click 'Ok' the date isn't showing in the playview and when i right click and access Properties again the date has disappeared.

Entries for Date must be in a YYYY, YYYY-MM or YYYY-MM-DD format. foobar will not save the date otherwise.