Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Convert Stereo to Mono - Solution? (Read 587 times) previous topic - next topic

Convert Stereo to Mono - Solution?

I have an uncle that has lost most hearing in one ear.

I would like to take songs I have ripped from my CD's that are currently in FLAC format and convert them to AAC mono. I do have foobar2000, but I've read mixed verbiage about whether that would make a reasonable mono all the time. Something about perhaps losing voice, or other stuff, involving phase issues...I'm not an expert in this.

This would only be a one time thing, so I hesitate to spend any significant money for a purchase, but would consider a reasonable shareware with upgrade, or better yet just free or shareware. Or a new plugin for Foobar.

Can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks.

Re: Convert Stereo to Mono - Solution?

Reply #1
Windows may have a mono setting.   On my Win11 system, I can right-click the volume/speaker icon on the lower left, and select Audio Settings.  Then I see a "Mono audio" button.

Or, you can open the file in Audacity (FREE, open source) and Export as mono.

Note - Before exporting, run the Amplify effect and set the New Peak Amplitude at -6dB (50%).   Mixing is done by summation so when you mix to mono you double the volume and if you don't reduce it you'll clip (distort) the mono file.

In Audacity you create a "Macro" to batch process files but I've never done it.

but I've read mixed verbiage about whether that would make a reasonable mono all the time. Something about perhaps losing voice, or other stuff, involving phase issues...I'm not an expert in this.
Almost all commercial recordings are "mono compatible".   Yes, it's true that out-of-phase information is lost when the channels are summed (you are "adding a negative" = subtraction).   Sometimes there are "stereo widening" effects or "fake stereo" where original recordings processed for a stereo-like sound, and that can mess-up the mono mix.

Reply #2
There is component foo_dsp_monoplus for fb2k which avoids loss of out-of-phase information.

Reply #3
A simple solution is to use the operating system. As DVDdoug pointed out, Win has one. Likewise Android.
Simply check the  accessibility options of system he is using.
https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/HearingOneear.htm
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #4
Ok, thanks for the suggestion. I was planning to put neutered AAC files on a DAP that is not android based.