Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [REQ] Output Switcher (Read 4169 times) previous topic - next topic

[REQ] Output Switcher

So selection of an output is mappable to a hotkey/button/whatever. Maybe even a toggle (although that could potentially be limited).

How could this work?

Well if there's a way to make an output device which acts as a "splitter", ie splits the output between two output plugins, you could make it initialize both at the same time and fade the volume out on one, in on the other.

How easy is it to write an output plugin that acts a "switch" for an audio stream, as IIRC the way foobar is built my plugin idea wouldn't work at all without an alternate output plugin :X

Reason for this is that I have some USB headphones which act as their own soundcard, and I want to switch between using my pc's soundcard (going to speakers) and the headphone "soundcard" (headphones).

Thanks if anyone is interested.
hi

[REQ] Output Switcher

Reply #1
I second this Request 8 )

[REQ] Output Switcher

Reply #2
tried this option?:

[REQ] Output Switcher

Reply #3
tried this option?:
I think he's talking about making things available at an external interface, i.e. hotkeys or command line. Yes, I wish ANY function would be available at an external interface. e.g. I wish I could turn a specific dsp playout on/off... No one knows what Peter thinks....

[REQ] Output Switcher

Reply #4
The issue with simply making this an option at command line is that it wouldn't switch instantly as it would have to restart the audio stream.

The idea of having a plugin is that when the hotkey is pressed it would:

1. Start outputting on the second output stream at zero volume, at the same place in the song (so they were playing side by side).

2. Fade out the first stream while fading in the second.

3. Kill the first stream.

Does this make sense? I just think it would be nice to break away from the rigid handling of outputs that pretty much every player does (requiring user to change option, stop song, restart playing song). Its archaic.
hi

[REQ] Output Switcher

Reply #5
Sorry for digging up such an old thread but it seems that no viable solution came out for this. I think that a simple dropdown in the toolbar would do the trick (with some presets like dither on/off, bit depth, etc). There are lots of ppl using multiple sound cards / usb devices, and it would really comme in handy

[REQ] Output Switcher

Reply #6
The SDK provides no way of creating your own output devices, nor does it expose any programmatic control over the output selection preferences page.

Thus, it's impossible to implement this request as a third party developer.
Stay sane, exile.

[REQ] Output Switcher

Reply #7
Thanks for the info.