Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What's the difference between these two? (Read 3352 times) previous topic - next topic

What's the difference between these two?

I'm using a free game designer and having an issue playing sounds that are MP3s.

The sound Atk_Golam01.mp3 works but the sound DN_dwrv_amb.mp3 doesn't work. I struggle to see a difference in the way they're encoded. I've tried using EncSpot and MediaInfo.

Re: What's the difference between these two?

Reply #1
Both of those files work for me.  What problem are you having specifically?

Reply #2
Foobar2000 v1.3.9 is showing detailed information:

Atk_Golam01.mp3
Subsong index : 0
Duration : 0:01.316 (58 050 samples)
Sample rate : 44100 Hz
Channels : 1
Bitrate : 64 kbps
Codec : MP3
Codec profile : MP3 CBR
Encoding : lossy
Tool : LAME3.98r
<ENC_DELAY> : 576
<ENC_PADDING> : 1278
<MP3_ACCURATE_LENGTH> : yes
<MP3_STEREO_MODE> : mono

DN_dwrv_amb.mp3
Subsong index : 0
Duration : 0:55.197 (2 434 176 samples)
Sample rate : 44100 Hz
Channels : 1
Bitrate : 64 kbps
Codec : MP3
Codec profile : MP3 CBR
Encoding : lossy
Tool : LAME3.98r
<ENC_DELAY> : 576
<ENC_PADDING> : 576
<MP3_ACCURATE_LENGTH> : yes
<MP3_STEREO_MODE> : mono

Both play fine, what problem do you exactly encounter?

Reply #3
Atk_Golam01 doesn't make use of the bit reservoir, as reported by mp3guessenc and proven by glitch-less seeking in Mp3DirectCut. Maybe the video game the file seems to be from takes advantage of this when it seeks (in other longer files).

Reply #4
I'm going to have to investigate this further. The first sample,  Atk_Golam01, is a stock sample that comes with the original game. I installed the game twice on different drives so that one can be edited and assumed that because the stock sample worked in the original install it would work in the second - but it doesn't,  so maybe it isn't an encoding problem after all. Thanks for the help, I'll be back if I get stuck again.

Reply #5
Isn't the game just checking for a CRC of the file and if it doesn't match the expected file it doesn't play?

Maybe to prevent changing files in the game there is a check for that?