Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: sample for ffmpeg aac (Read 6613 times) previous topic - next topic

sample for ffmpeg aac

This is a sample for testing the ffmpeg aac encoder.  (Related thread )

It shows notable dropouts and collapse of highs.

The ffmpeg version is  N-73818-g9ebe041:
    encoder        : Lavf56.40.101
    Stream #0:0: Audio: aac (libvo_aacenc) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, stereo, s16, 128 kb/s
    Metadata:
      encoder        : Lavc56.49.101 libvo_aacenc

For comparison, a 64kbps file encoded with Apple's encoder (using qaac --cbr 64).  Even --cbr 32 --he sounds better than ffmpeg's one.

Side note: The full song is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjGZOD9_lTQ

sample for ffmpeg aac

Reply #1
I cannot edit the post.

The settings used are "-i input.wav  output.m4a" .

This selected the libvo_aacenc at 128kbps.

Selecting the native aac encoder with:
    -c:a aac -strict experimental -b:a 128k
produces better results.

sample for ffmpeg aac

Reply #2
Similar to FDK and FAAC, vo-aacenc is just an external library FFmpeg provides a wrapper for.

FDK would have been chosen as a default AAC encoder if it was enabled in your build.

sample for ffmpeg aac

Reply #3
The VisualOn AAC encoder (vo-aacenc) is known to be very poor, but it is claimed (though disputed) to be released under a free license so it is usually included by default. The FDK encoder is not, you have build your own ffmpeg with support, or get a build with support somewhere.
From the ffmpeg AAC FAQ:
Which encoder should I use? What provides the best quality?
For AAC-LC the likely answer is: libfdk_aac > libfaac > Native FFmpeg AAC encoder (aac) > libvo_aacenc.

sample for ffmpeg aac

Reply #4
It would be nice if they also marked the vo-aacenc external library in ffmpeg as '-strict experimental'.