Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is it possible to recognize multiple value fields via delimeter? (Read 764 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it possible to recognize multiple value fields via delimeter?

I understand that Foobar is able to create multivalue fields by writing a null character as a delimiter (aliased as a ';') to the field which creates multiple instances of the field which can then be read and sorted independently from one another, but is it possible for foobar to interpret multiple values in a single field by using an actual delimiter (such as ' / ' or ',')?

The reason I ask is because players on other platforms that I use (Such as Swinsian on macOS) don't natively support multivalue fields, but they do support delimeters. Ideally I'd like to be able to tag my files in such a way that all the media players I use across platforms can read and sort multiple genres or artists. Perhaps this is a pipe dream, but considering how customizable foobar is I thought there might be some hope.

Re: Is it possible to recognize multiple value fields via delimeter?

Reply #1
What format? MP3?
Preferences -> Advanced -> Tagging -> MP3 -> ID3v2 revision and quirks -> Write ID3v2.3 tags (more compatible)

Re: Is it possible to recognize multiple value fields via delimeter?

Reply #2
What format? MP3?
Preferences -> Advanced -> Tagging -> MP3 -> ID3v2 revision and quirks -> Write ID3v2.3 tags (more compatible)

FLAC and MP3.

To clarify a bit, what I'm asking is if there's any way to get foobar to recognize a delimiter when reading tags. For example:

Say I have a Genre tag written as a single string `Genre1 / Genre2'. Would it be possible for foobar to interpret that as multiple genres and sort them into separate 'Genre1' and 'Genre2' categories accordingly without having to rewrite the tag in any way? Either through some advanced tweak, or maybe even by writing a component for it?