Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which is a the most accurate drive base on EAC log? (Read 4069 times) previous topic - next topic

Which is a the most accurate drive base on EAC log?

I've acquired two DVD drives that both have "C2 error detection" and "No caching". Which, to my knowledge, are good features for CD extracting.

Extracting the same CD with both drive, which drive/extraction should I consider the best:
- The one with the highest track qualities because it read the CD better?
- The one with the lowest track qualities because it the other drives was blind to some errors that this one took into account?

Some log extracts:
Used drive  : ATAPI   DVD A  DH16AASH   Adapter: 1  ID: 0

Read mode               : Secure
Utilize accurate stream : Yes
Defeat audio cache      : No
Make use of C2 pointers : Yes

Read offset correction                      : 6
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out          : No
Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
Delete leading and trailing silent blocks   : No
Null samples used in CRC calculations       : Yes
Used interface                              : Native Win32 interface for Win NT & 2000
Gap handling                                : Not detected, thus appended to previous track

Used output format : Internal WAV Routines
Sample format      : 44.100 Hz; 16 Bit; Stereo

Track  3  (from Drive #1)

Filename ...

Suspicious position 0:00:01
     Suspicious position 0:00:05 - 0:00:06
     Suspicious position 0:00:09 - 0:00:10
     Suspicious position 0:00:12
     Suspicious position 0:00:34

Peak level 98.8 %
     Extraction speed 0.3 X
     Track quality 94.7 %
     Copy CRC 62B5F429
     Cannot be verified as accurate (confidence 1)  [1E248941], AccurateRip returned [32CE139A]  (AR v2)
     Copy finished

Track  3 (from Drive #2)

Filename ...

Suspicious position 0:00:11
     Suspicious position 0:00:16 - 0:00:17

Peak level 98.8 %
     Extraction speed 0.7 X
     Track quality 96.4 %
     Copy CRC 9E336650
     Cannot be verified as accurate (confidence 1)  [C23B91A9], AccurateRip returned [32CE139A]  (AR v2)
     Copy finished

Track | CTDB Status
  1   | (5/5) Accurately ripped
  2   | (0/5) No match
  3   | (0/5) No match
  4   | (5/5) Accurately ripped
  5   | (4/5) Accurately ripped
  6   | (5/5) Accurately ripped
  7   | (5/5) Accurately ripped
  8   | (5/5) Accurately ripped
  9   | (5/5) Accurately ripped
 10   | (5/5) Accurately ripped
 11   | (5/5) Accurately ripped
 12   | (5/5) Accurately ripped

Re: Which is a the most accurate drive base on EAC log?

Reply #1
Is the CD scratched? If a CD is in good condition, no error should happen.

There is a risk that a CD drive does not correct C2 well or interpolates unrecoverable errors by itself without reporting that to EAC or delivering the same bad samples every time (because it actually caches that internally).

In your case, both rips are bad. I would listen closely to the reported track positions for any clicking sounds and then pick the better one.

If the first one interpolated the damaged samples by itself every time EAC attempted to read, it is spotted as reading error, because the attempts differ slightly. But interpolation is hard to hear (the amount of interpolated samples need to be a higher to get audible), it would sound better than another rip that has less but absolutely uncorrected errors (uncorrected samples can be far off so these produce very audible clicking/crackle).  ;D

If I'm unsure, I would rip once more in the same conditions and mixdown the two rips phase-inverted to get the difference using Audacity (or a program like this). Then the actual errors might become more visible (the samples that aren't zero, because the value of the broken samples is random in many cases).

If I see it right, there is no area that is badly ripped by both drives. It is possible to get a good rip, if you replace the samples in the bad positions of one rip by the good samples from the other rip.
- I abandoned this account since I didn't find a way to delete it -

Reply #2
Try CUETools. If you are lucky, it will repair. If you are slightly less lucky, it could still tell you the number of wrong samples.

Reply #3
Thank you for the replies so far.

On thing that I forgot to mention in my post and that I would like to insist on is that my question is not about getting this specific CD to rip perfectly but about determining if one of the drives if better, more reliable, than the other.
From the replies so far I fell like my question is more like "non exact science"?

PS: And yes, this CD is scratched can trigger "C2 errors" in EAC detection (Drive options).

Reply #4
Again, try to check each of the rips with CUETools. Then if you are lucky, it will tell you how many samples are wrong.
Also, you can try to rip with CUERipper. If it gives you significantly better results than EAC, then maybe check settings? (Maybe there is caching going on? It can be defeated. Some years ago, there was a command-line utility to check for caching; https://web.archive.org/web/20150620034911/http://download.cdfreaks.com/download/155/cachex.zip .)

But IME: The Good Thing when it comes to troublesome discs, is to try a different drive. Just a "different" one.

Reply #5
Thanks you. I will try this tomorrow or whenever I find the time and come back here.
According to EAC, both drives have "No audio caching".

But IME: The Good Thing when it comes to troublesome discs, is to try a different drive. Just a "different" one.

Yes, I know, but again, here I'm trying to understand (if possible) which drive is better overall, not for the specific disc. (To decide afterwards which drive I keep in my main computer and which one in my secondary computer.)

Reply #6
Yes, I know, but again, here I'm trying to understand (if possible) which drive is better overall, not for the specific disc. (To decide afterwards which drive I keep in my main computer and which one in my secondary computer.)

One might not be better overall. I bought a Blu-Ray drive originally but found it to be very hit and miss when ripping CDs so just picked another (Pioneer) DVD-RW drive and that hasn't had any issues, ever.

Reply #8
Yes, both are in this list:
Drive #1: LiteOn ATAPI DVD A DH16A6L
Drive #2: LiteOn ATAPI DVD A DH16AASH
Both are SATA drives.

Just tried CUERipper and the results look similar to EAC.
I didn't like the way CUERipper puts tracks in a single file, and I didn't find if there's an option to disable this.

Still, that doesn't give me much more info about my initial question.

Reply #9
Just tried CUERipper and the results look similar to EAC.
I didn't like the way CUERipper puts tracks in a single file, and I didn't find if there's an option to disable this.
Check out the screenshot i have attached, you can change it from image to tracks there. You can also change the filename output in the options and change the output directory structure in the box above the go button.

I hope this helps.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #10
Thank you.

After testing CUERipper with tracks split:

DH16A6L logged more errors than DH16AASH (but .
DH16A6L logged even more errors when using "Paranoid" more the when using "Secure" mode.
(I did not test "Paranoid" on DH16AASH since that computer is too busy at other things.)

Still not sure if logging more errors means a more accurate extraction or the other way around.