Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I forget: difference between Lame.exe and lame_enc.dll? (Read 4522 times) previous topic - next topic

I forget: difference between Lame.exe and lame_enc.dll?

I'm just installing the new 3.100-64, and can't remember the difference between these two files. Do I need both, or one or the other.

Thanks all.
Artie

Re: I forget: difference between Lame.exe and lame_enc.dll?

Reply #1
The EXE should be a stand-alone command-line application.

The DLL should be called by another application. 

But, there may be some applications that run the EXE.

...I usually just copy all of the files to one location.   (I've never run it from the command line.)  

Reply #2
You should keep both.

.dll files are libraries used by other programs. They are nost execuable programs themselves. .exe files are executable programs, some use .dll files as part of their functionality.

Some program use lame_enc.dll, others call lame.exe (one program can run another, etc.).

Long story short: you should keep both.

Reply #3
Thanks. Keeping both is what I always do. I was just trying to remember why.   ;)