Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: how to use mp3 gain ? (Read 3976 times) previous topic - next topic

how to use mp3 gain ?

Hi all,

I tried mp3gain but do not know exactly how to use it at optimum.

To which gain should I normalize to avoid clipping ?

After analyzing there is shown: eg for different tracks: 32300,
28000, or 33000, 36000 as current peak level.

What level is allowed without clipping ?
What gain in dB is that approximately ?

how to use mp3 gain ?

Reply #1
After analyzing there is shown: eg for different tracks: 32300, 28000, or 33000, 36000 as current peak level.

The formula to find out how far down from full scale you are is:

20* log10 (x / 32767)

where x is the peak level you give above.  So that gives, -0.1 dB, -1.4 dB, +0.1 dB, and +0.8 dB.  So you should scale the gain down by the minimum step size of 1.3 dB to avoid any clipping in these tracks.

ff123

how to use mp3 gain ?

Reply #2
Hi all,

I played a little with that program, downloaded about 2 days ago.

1. It is very unstable on my PC, Windows 98 SE, PIII 800 MHz.
It is the first program that makes such trouble and crashes often down. I cannot even select single files, only complete folders !

2. The above given example should result in downscaling of the files to -0,8 dB, I think, not -1,3 dB as FF123 wrote (highest peaklevel of example album was 33800 = 0,8 dB).

But in that program you can only select as minimum level to reduce -1,5 dB (about 15 % !!) with function "constant gain".
That is not fine, I would prefer to enter the wanted value of dB manually, not so big steps !

Perhaps somebody could contact Snelg or somebody else who makes that program.

how to use mp3 gain ?

Reply #3
2. The above given example should result in downscaling of the files to -0,8 dB, I think, not -1,3 dB as FF123 wrote (highest peaklevel of example album was 33800 = 0,8 dB). 

But in that program you can only select as minimum level to reduce -1,5 dB (about 15 % !!) with function "constant gain". 
That is not fine, I would prefer to enter the wanted value of dB manually, not so big steps !

Oops, I should have written -1.5 dB, not -1.3 dB, which is the resolution of the gain adjustment.  This is a limitation in mp3trim as well, which leads me to believe that it cannot be "fixed."

ff123

how to use mp3 gain ?

Reply #4
What is th edifference between radio gain and album gain and constant gain?