Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best format of audio to use for animations (Read 2340 times) previous topic - next topic

Best format of audio to use for animations

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I work for a video production company and need to import music into after effects to do some animation work. Does anyone know the best file type/codec of audio to use with AE. I need it to be lossless.

Thanks!

Re: Best format of audio to use for animations

Reply #1
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I work for a video production company and need to import music into after effects to do some animation work. Does anyone know the best file type/codec of audio to use with AE. I need it to be lossless.

Thanks!

The list of audio formats supported by After Effects is here:

Supported-file-formats-effects

Of the audio file formats shown. the .WAV  file format is generally uncompressed while , the AIF and AIFF formats  can have uncompressed subformats.

Re: Best format of audio to use for animations

Reply #2
Post production software generally transcodes everything imported to formats it can use for editing.  Since your music is most likely 16/44.1 from a CD (you're using rights-cleared music, right?), it'll be transcoded on import to 16/48 as that's the standard for video and film audio. That will happen at some point in your production chain regardless of what you import, except for original 16/48 audio, which will also likely be transcoded to a release format, usually Dolby Digital or DTS, though uncompressed PCM is possible. The options depend on your authoring software and release format/destination.