Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SOX 14.4.1 - fails to handle aac files - trying to normalize (Read 20537 times) previous topic - next topic

SOX 14.4.1 - fails to handle aac files - trying to normalize

Hi,

I'm a beginner with SoX and I want to normalize aac files.
According to http://sox.sourceforge.net/Docs/Features Sox supports aac.

Now, I first tried to execute
Code: [Select]
sox.exe retire2.mp4 -r 32k -b 8 -c 1 retire2M.aac vol 0.7

or changed the extension of retire2.mp4 to retire2.aac
I get the error
FAIL formats: no handler for file extension `aac'

SoX version 14.4.1

If I run sox-help I see:
AUDIO FILE FORMATS: 8svx aif aifc aiff aiffc al amb amr-nb amr-wb anb au avr awb cdda cdr cvs cvsd cvu dat dvms f32 f4 f64 f
8 flac fssd gsm gsrt hcom htk ima ircam la lpc lpc10 lu maud mp2 mp3 nist ogg prc raw s1 s16 s2 s24 s3 s32 s4 s8 sb sf sl sl
n smp snd sndr sndt sou sox sph sw txw u1 u16 u2 u24 u3 u32 u4 u8 ub ul uw vms voc vorbis vox wav wavpcm wv wve xa
PLAYLIST FORMATS: m3u pls
AUDIO DEVICE DRIVERS: waveaudio

So no aac...

Does it mean it needs an external library?

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I tried to normalize the sound with "aacgain -a -k retire2.mp4", aacgain claims
retire2.mp4 is an MPEG Layer II file, not a layer III file

While ffmpeg 2.0 claims:
Stream #0:0: Audio: aac, 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 125 kb/s

Reply #1
.aac is a raw aac transport stream which very few things support. Do you actually need that or do you want the standard aac in mp4?

Reply #2
.aac is a raw aac transport stream which very few things support. Do you actually need that or do you want the standard aac in mp4?

I don't care in which container it is, mp4, mkv, avi, flv,...

ffmpeg can wrap it in another container:
ffmpeg -i sound.aac -c:a copy export.mp4

Reply #3
Ah i misunderstood.  Probably your SOX doesn't have AAC support enabled, I guess for patent reasons in the US/EU.

Reply #5
This is trivial to check.
Quote from: README.TXT link=msg=0 date=
MP4, AAC, AC3, WAVPACK, AMR-NB files (with optional ffmpeg library)
Seems that build does not include said library.

Reply #6
Sox changelog, 4 Jan 2013:

Due to API changes in ffmpeg/libav, the ffmpeg format handler will soon stop to compile (unless it is adapted to the new API, of course). Mailing list discussion has shown that there is no interest in keeping the handler; users should instead use the ffmpeg/avconf command line utility via pipes.

Re: SOX 14.4.1 - fails to handle aac files - trying to normalize

Reply #7
SoX doesn't support many of the filetypes currently in common use, including m4a and ape. I suggest changing the name to SuX.

Re: SOX 14.4.1 - fails to handle aac files - trying to normalize

Reply #8
Sox supports full redirection which can be used with aac encoders that support it and can also accept stdout from a modified version of mac.exe that is available here.