Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_musical_spectrum (discussion) (Read 9145 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from foo_musical_spectrum

Re: foo_musical_spectrum (discussion)

Reply #100
How do you activate the console? The spectrum is working fine.
Thanks

Reply #101
The best plugin for me I have ever install.
Le meilleur plugin pour moi
FXG25

Reply #102
any news on notes being changed to Hz? This is the only reason why I'm NOT using this component

Reply #103
Is there any way to set, or to request development for, displaying the horizontal axis in frequency values, instead of musical notes?

I use this component b/c it displays freqs higher than 20k - the limit for the default spectrum component.  Would be great to have that option!

If there is another component that I should be using instead that provides this capability, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Reply #104
Is this plugin still in developpment or has it gone dodo? I have been using it for years and I'd be a shame not to have it in FB2.0

Reply #105
Yeah, it would be nice to have an update. It never did work properly in Darkone. It might have in the original 2013 Darkone but in the later versions it does not scale properly. So I still use the old fashioned Spectrum Analyzer.

Reply #106
Is this plugin still in developpment or has it gone dodo? I have been using it for years and I'd be a shame not to have it in FB2.0
Yes, it would be nice if we can have it ported to foobar2000 2.00 and in 64bits too.

Reply #107
Yes, it would be nice if we can have it ported to foobar2000 2.00 and in 64bits too.
Probably not in terms of active development sadly, but at least we have alternatives like audioMotion-analyzer (idk is it possible to make visualizations on JScript/WSH/SMP panels), my sketch (on the web browser), and
ChromaDSP's CQTAnalyzer VST plugin (which needs VST adapter component by Peter Pawlowski) that you can substitute a Musical Spectrum component if you're in 64-bit version of foobar2000 (which I have)

Reply #108
I'm working on a enhancement for foo_enhanced_spectrum_analyzer that can be used to create a visualization like the musical spectrum component. I hope I can release it soon. Maybe this is something for you. Here's a preview:

Reply #109
Looks great, Crossover!  I would suggest adding a bold font choice for the bottom "X" frequency scale so the numerals aren't hidden by the color bars, and an increased amount of frequency value labels for that scale.

Reply #110
Looks great, Crossover!  I would suggest adding a bold font choice for the bottom "X" frequency scale so the numerals aren't hidden by the color bars, and an increased amount of frequency value labels for that scale.
OK, I added a font selector and a combo box to select the number of values for a label. I hope I can release it soon :-)

Reply #111
-snip-

I'm working on a enhancement for foo_enhanced_spectrum_analyzer that can be used to create a visualization like the musical spectrum component. I hope I can release it soon. Maybe this is something for you. Here's a preview:
Probably yes, but I want 1/24th and 1/48th octave bands, especially on big screens like this:
X
And 1/3rd octave on smaller visualization displays, which audioMotion-analyzer (which is a web app, not a foobar2000 component, but you can remake this as 64-bit component) already have.

Reply #112
Is it possible to set FFT size to non-power of 2 value like 4410 samples (100ms at 44.1kHz samplerate) as the corresponding wiki page claims to do so?

BTW, I can't test this since I only have 64-bit version of foobar2000 v2.0 (which means I can't load foo_musical_spectrum anyways) and too lazy to get 32-bit version

Re: Re: foo_musical_spectrum (discussion)

Reply #113
Is it possible to set FFT size to non-power of 2 value like 4410 samples (100ms at 44.1kHz samplerate) as the corresponding wiki page claims to do so?
Where exactly do you see that wiki page claims that it possible to set FFT size to non-power of 2 value? It doesn't.

Reply #114
foo_musical_spectrum is closed-source and the developer @fismineur hasn't been there a long-time ago, so a full-on remake of this component would be necessary for foobar2000 v2.x and 64-bit versions

Of course as of the result of this (further development of foo_musical_spectrum was abandoned), maybe @pqyt could consider a x64 remake of Musical Spectrum (and to the extent, Channel Spectrum panel using my different visualization project as a starting point as always) using my own bandpower-based spectrum analyzer on CodePen as a reference (of course, this project is in JS as usual with CodePen projects, but it could be re-implemented in C++ alongside with foobar2000 SDK) that have all basic features needed for the remake; a logarithmic frequency/octave bands distribution with sinc/Lanczos FFT bin interpolation, note labels (and decades labels in case of someone wanting for a spectrum analyzer with Hz labels), and custom FFT routines (perhaps to support non-power of two FFT sizes)?+

Reply #115
I've been lurking on the side and followed the discussion because I liked the original component too. I already have a working prototype using modern Direct2D in the sense that it has an FFT and displays frequency bands.

However I'm not an audio engineer. While I spent quite some time reading up on FFT's and filter windows before starting I must admit that I don't fully understand the subject yet which makes verifying my work nearly impossible.

F.e. having tried multiple approaches I'm unable to achieve to nice 'Gauss-curve' like distribution of the spectrum. The project has been on pause ever since.

Reply #116
I've been lurking on the side and followed the discussion because I liked the original component too. I already have a working prototype using modern Direct2D in the sense that it has an FFT and displays frequency bands.

However I'm not an audio engineer. While I spent quite some time reading up on FFT's and filter windows before starting I must admit that I don't fully understand the subject yet which makes verifying my work nearly impossible.

F.e. having tried multiple approaches I'm unable to achieve to nice 'Gauss-curve' like distribution of the spectrum. The project has been on pause ever since.
Look at the relevant functions on my own spectrum analyzer replicating foo_musical_spectrum[/url] like calcSpectrum() (which generate a spectrum data that has nice gaussian curve-like distribution since it uses Lanczos interpolation where there aren't enough FFT bins for such narrower frequency regions, like low frequencies when using logarithmic frequency scale), lanzcos() (where it does windowed sinc interpolation for nice-looking visualization, even better if you feed a complex-valued FFT output rather than magnitude only ones), and applyWindow() (where you can apply a window function to the PCM signal before FFT, a Hann window should be suffice since it is simple to implement by squaring the cos(x*pi/2) and it has at least decent sidelobe attenuation and reasonably narrow mainlobe width)

Of course, after the calcSpectrum() operation on the complex-valued FFT output (since I know there are differences between these two depending on using complex-valued or magnitude-only FFT output as input data, so that's why I made it toggleable here), the resulting data could be scaled into decibel scale (20*log10(x) on calcSpectrum() output) before drawing bargraph for visualization

BTW, you can use online services that converts JS to C++ but only as a starting point as it is never guaranteed to work within foobar2000 environment at least without modifying the output of these converters

Reply #117
A little preview... Video

With a lot of help and advice from @TF3RDL

Reply #118

Glad that I'm getting closer to finally getting a 64-bit remake of Musical Spectrum, without help from me, the foo_musical_spectrum x64 remake would take it too long. BTW, I wished that you're not doing a direct port from JS on my audio spectrum project to C++ (w/ fb2k SDK) and instead remade it from scratch using this aformentioned project as a reference point, but that's fine (sometimes it works so well that it doesn't need a remake from scratch anyway) in the end

Oh, here's the Desmos graph that anyone should understand why Lanczos interpolation on FFT is different (magnitude-only vs. complex-valued FFT output) by playing around with the parameter "b" (the frequency of the tone) and functions especially "f(x)" and "g(x)" (real and imaginary FFT parts) and "k(x)" (magnitude FFT part) on this graph, and on the aforementioned CodePen project, you can toggle "Use complex FFT coefficients as interpolation data" (easier to see the differences with "Freeze analyzer" on, which basically freezes the audio input data just like it does on foobar2000 visualizations when pausing a song) on and off

Reply #119

Glad that I'm getting closer to finally getting a 64-bit remake of Musical Spectrum, without help from me, the foo_musical_spectrum x64 remake would take it too long. BTW, I wished that you're not doing a direct port from JS on my audio spectrum project to C++ (w/ fb2k SDK) and instead remade it from scratch using this aformentioned project as a reference point, but that's fine (sometimes it works so well that it doesn't need a remake from scratch anyway) in the end

I wanted to get a head start and also something that would be easy to verify against your work. I already found a couple of things I want to optimize once I understand the algorithms better. But the audio engineering part I will have to 'steal' from someone else.

Reply #120
I wanted to get a head start and also something that would be easy to verify against your work. I already found a couple of things I want to optimize once I understand the algorithms better. But the audio engineering part I will have to 'steal' from someone else.
Understandable, any JS projects like the perceptual graphic equalizer and the sliding DFT algorithms that are audioenginnering-related would be directly ported into C++ for use in fb2k by @pqyt unless otherwise stated

Reply #121
Some progress... Video

Reply #122
Some progress... Video
Yeah, hopefully this spectrum visualization will come into foobar2000 64-bit and have new features like adjustable number of bands per-octave (like 1/24th octave bands and 1/3rd octave bands), linear/sqrt amplitude scaling, frequency labels other than musical notes, non-power of 2 FFT sizes (required for setting FFT size in milliseconds instead of samples) that original foo_musical_spectrum don't

Also, the @pqyt remake of Musical Spectrum (with help from me, of course because you're not an audio engineer at all) for fb2k v2 is definitely the first step in the right direction of making these concept components like FFT Analyzer (foo_fft_analyzer) into a reality, so I would appreciate you for doing that and I would looking forward for that like recreating Channel Spectrum panel for fb2k x64 and making the Mid/Side mode for metering components for foobar2000 a reality, etc.

Reply #123
OK, I added a font selector and a combo box to select the number of values for a label. I hope I can release it soon :-)

I for one would be happy to pay for this!
It would be so useful to me.
I don't suppose you're able to convert it into A VST or CLAP plugin for use in a DAW?
foobar2000  x64

Reply #124
Cant wait for this to get updated to 64bit... Its one of 2 components I love that are still 32bit only... :(