Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Album art disappears after playback when window is inactive (Read 2126 times) previous topic - next topic

Album art disappears after playback when window is inactive

I run Foobar side by side with another app. If Foobar is not the highlighted, active application, the following happens: when the album is finished playing the album artwork disappears, but the tracks remain listed.

I did remove the upper-right component and replace it with the art viewer.

Reply #1
Pardon me if I'm misunderstanding you, but if I'm recalling correctly, the album art viewer in the Default UI only shows artwork during playback or when you're actively selecting tracks.

If that isn't what you're talking about, I suggest that you provide more detail about your foobar configuration.

Reply #2
Pardon me if I'm misunderstanding you, but if I'm recalling correctly, the album art viewer in the Default UI only shows artwork during playback or when you're actively selecting tracks.

If that isn't what you're talking about, I suggest that you provide more detail about your foobar configuration.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think the artwork would still be visible if the tracks are still visible, do you?

Reply #3
I think that's unreasonable, yes. Most people have more than 1 album in a playlist. And what if the platlist is long and the currently playing tracks are out of view? Visiblity of items shouldn't be related to whether you can see their album art (well, except if you're using a playlist componet that supports inline art display, obviously  )

What is reasonable, I think, is that Foobar doesn't immediately forget everything after playback stops, and thus might continue to display relevant data about the last played item.

Reply #4
I agree that there is an issue of component behavior relative to selection / application focus. Whether this should be considered logical behavior, or is possible or practical to change, I don't know. But I don't think it's unreasonable to want to be able to view information about a selected track even after changing focus away from the playlist or foobar2000 itself.

Should components stop displaying information because foobar2000 has lost application focus?

You're using foobar2000 side-by-side with another app. You select a track in the playlist. Information about that track is being displayed in Text Display and/or Selection Properties and/or Album Art Viewer panels (etc). Now you click over on the other application. The information you'd like to see about the track you had selected is no longer visible, because foobar2000 is not the focused app.

There is also an issue if, for example, you have the Playlist View in one tab and want to view Selection Properties in another tab.

Reply #5
my replacement artwork viewer for WSH panel mod does not exhibit this issue.

link if anyone is interested: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22801321/samples.zip (script named artreader inside the archive, reallly do check the readme first)

Reply #6
I think that's unreasonable, yes. Most people have more than 1 album in a playlist. And what if the platlist is long and the currently playing tracks are out of view? Visiblity of items shouldn't be related to whether you can see their album art (well, except if you're using a playlist componet that supports inline art display, obviously  )

What is reasonable, I think, is that Foobar doesn't immediately forget everything after playback stops, and thus might continue to display relevant data about the last played item.

I agree after thinking it about from a playlist perspective of mixed album tracks, it would be nice if it at least displayed the artwork from the last played track. I almost exclusively play albums from one folder at a time.