Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Rockbox 3.14 released (Read 17732 times) previous topic - next topic

Rockbox 3.14 released

After 4 years of development, version 3.14 of the open source digital audio player operating system Rockbox has been released

Some new things since version 3.13:

• Ipod Nano 2G, Sansa Fuze+, Sony NWZ E360/E370/E380, Creative Zen Mozaic, Zen X-Fi, Zen X-Fi 3, Zen X-Fi Style, Samsung YH-820, YH-920 and YH-925 are now stable
  • Greatly improved USB support on the Ipod Nano 2G, Ipod Classic, Sansa Clip v2, Clip+, Clip Zip, and Fuze v2
  • Battery life on Sansa Clip v2, Clip+, Clip Zip, and Fuze v2 is approximately doubled
  • New DSP effects including Haas effect surround sound, perceptual bass enhancement, and fatigue reduction
  • Configurable master sampling rate and new resampler
  • Improved Opus and SPC performance and compatibility
  • Improved file browser and music database performance
  • Several new games and plugins

See full release notes: 3.14 

Re: Rockbox 3.14 released

Reply #1
  • Greatly improved USB support on the Ipod Nano 2G, Ipod Classic, Sansa Clip v2, Clip+, Clip Zip, and Fuze v2
  • Battery life on Sansa Clip v2, Clip+, Clip Zip, and Fuze v2 is approximately doubled

I am pretty excited by this release (still rocking a Clip+)!  I haven't kept up on dev releases because, honestly, 3.13 has been working fine.  I'm just glad there is activity again on Rockbox.  Thanks for all your work on this project.

Reply #2
Yes, thank you for the sharing this and to all those that continue to keep Rockbox active. I've used it for 12 years now on my iriver H120 and Sansa e270, which are still going strong :)

Reply #3
What the shit? Battery doubled? It's time I get another Zip just to play with! Thanks for this amazing update.

And wow, they're far from the $20-30 I remembered.

Reply #4
And wow, they're far from the $20-30 I remembered.

They're collector's items these days.

Reply #5
Outstanding, I sold mine few months ago for like $20-25.

Reply #6
I guess the Android "port" is definitely dead now, is it?  I was using it on my Android 4 until last year. I didn't have any serious issue with it and played multiple formats ( mp3, m4a, ogg, opus...). I did read that there were problems using it on Android 5 and above, and other discussions about rockbox-as-an-app supporters and detractors. Nowadays I use foobar2000, but foobar2000 is limited in some regards compared to what I could do with Rockbox (most importantly, changing the playback speed)

Reply #7
The Android port depended on some features that were lost with the transition to ART from dalvik, so it won't work on newer Android releases. At present I don't think there is much interest in working on it, although the rockbox as an application framework is used in several new ports.

Probably to have a maintainable Android port you'd write a new GUI in Java and then just use the rockbox decoders and playback engine. 

Reply #8
After 4 years of development, version 3.14 of the open source digital audio player operating system Rockbox has been released

Some new things since version 3.13:

• Ipod Nano 2G, Sansa Fuze+, Sony NWZ E360/E370/E380, Creative Zen Mozaic, Zen X-Fi, Zen X-Fi 3, Zen X-Fi Style, Samsung YH-820, YH-920 and YH-925 are now stable
  • New DSP effects including Haas effect surround sound, perceptual bass enhancement, and fatigue reduction
  • Configurable master sampling rate and new resampler
  • Improved file browser and music database performance
  • Several new games and plugins

See full release notes: 3.14 

Hi! Can you recommend any device for Rockbox which is still being produce and costs on the market no more than 20-25€ (25-30$) and is being capable of playing Ogg Vorbis and Opus at any bitrate? Thanks!

Reply #9
Can you recommend any device for Rockbox which is still being produce and costs on the market no more than 20-25€ (25-30$)

None.

You're going to need to possibly pay more and consider used,
Creature of habit.

Reply #10
Such a shame I can't give it a try, as my Fuse's turned into a lil' brick and refused to display any sign of life, for no apparent reason, a few years back!

Sorry for the little digression, but I wonder if anyone else ran into this, with the same player...
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #11
Just to add my appreciation to Saratoga and the rest of the rockbox team. My clip zip continues with much better battery life. If only I had bought more when the prices were low!

Reply #12
Such a shame I can't give it a try, as my Fuse's turned into a lil' brick and refused to display any sign of life, for no apparent reason, a few years back!

Sorry for the little digression, but I wonder if anyone else ran into this, with the same player...

Sometimes you can get them to reboot if you plug them back into power for a while after letting it sit.  They're not the most robust players though. I think the flash memory on them tends to wear out over time. 

Reply #13
As I cannot recall doing that back then, I'll give it a try.

As ever, thanks for the help, @saratoga !
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #14
I have a SanDisk Clip Sport and it is not listed. Does anyone know if this device is supported in any way?
--
Eric

Reply #15
It's not supported at all. The hardware inside is completely different to previous Clip models which were all very similar.

Reply #16
I transcoded (from flac) a load of albums to opus (using foobar v1.3.15 setting them at 160kbps VBR) and stuck them on my Sansa e270.

When I played the first track the player became very "laggy". The audio was playing ok with no stuttering etc, but the screen info was not updating (for example, the time of the song was well behind what it was actually on). Also, the player wouldn't respond to button input by stopping the track and wouldn't allow me to navigate anywhere. I had to force a shutdown.

I've just tried it again with the same album using 128kbps VBR opus and the same thing happened; although perhaps slightly better response in terms of allowing me to navigate out of the playing screen etc albeit heavily delayed.

With mp3 (LAME) this doesn't happen. I do seem to remember getting it with aac files a while back though.

Rockbox v 3.1.4 is on the Sansa e270.

My assumption would be that the opus decoder in Rockbox is not "as nice" (efficiency wise) for the Sansa e270 to handle in that it requires more processing power; but then I'm certainly no expert.

I doubt this is the correct place to post this issue but wanted to get it out there; at least I can then be told where to post it, whichs probably the Rockbox forum / bug tracker right?

Reply #17
I'm not sure if anyone has tested opus on the original sandisk players, but it shouldn't be too much slower. Are you using a lot of DSP effects or EQ bands too?

Reply #18
Opus does not run well on my Sandisk E280R either.  I've tried it with various builds over the past couple of years and have seen little or no performance improvement.  I'm currently running the latest development build 6d541fe, and it still doesn't run well.  In my experience, opus is unusable with this player even with all DSP's and EQ turned off.  On the other hand, opus runs just fine on Sansa ClipZips. 

On the plus side, my E280R performs just fine with these codecs: AAC, Vorbis, MP3, MPC, and FLAC.  I've always attributed the poor opus performance on my E280R to "old" hardware and perhaps a less optimized (because it's a relatively new codec) opus decoder.

Best Regards,
                     LedHed8

Reply #19
@saratonga: all default settings used, so no DSP effects or EQ bands used.

It's the same as what LedHed8 says tbh. Vorbis, MP3 & FLAC (as that all I use except Opus too) run fine. AAC is ok'ish.

Reply #20

Can you please explain how this Rockbox version plays opus-files on Clip+.
Does it resample audio back to 44100 before sending it to DAC or (to avoid unnecessary processing) switches output DAC to 48000 (maybe even only for opus-files)?

Thanks.

Reply #21

Can you please explain how this Rockbox version plays opus-files on Clip+.
Does it resample audio back to 44100 before sending it to DAC or (to avoid unnecessary processing) switches output DAC to 48000 (maybe even only for opus-files)?

Whatever sampling rate you set in the settings menu is used for all audio. If you select 44.1k and play 48k files, they're resampled.

Reply #22
Thanks for the answer. I actually meant that opuses are always 48000.
If you select 44.1k and play 48k files, they're resampled.
Hm, to me it's an unnecessary waste of resources. I've just found Automatic choice of playback frequency commit in the @poretsky branch, one day i should try to adapt it for my use.
There's using of the mp3entry struct in the patch, but i guess it's common for all audio types, not just mp3. I went kinda offtop, sorry and thanks again for the answer and for Rockbox itself.

Reply #23
The new resampler is only a few cycles per sample, so the energy cost is negligible.

We talked about automatic sampling rate switching, but there are too many technical issues involved in switching sampling rates transparently given the large number of features that would need to keep working. It made more sense to just optimize the resampler more, so we did that instead.

mp3entry is a historical name from before swcodec targets when only mp3 files were supported (via hardware dsp decode). It contains metadata and other things related to any audio being decoded, not just mp3.