Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows Media Player Plus! - Various enhancements for WMP (Read 310488 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Windows Media Player Plus! - Various enhancements for WMP

Reply #275
Is there any way to sort albums/EPs by date? Currently the best I can do is sort by Year but when an artist has multiple releases in an year, they get sorted by name

Reply #276
WMP definitely can't sort tracks by release date - it only takes the year part into account. So I would say that sorting albums by release date isn't possible either.

Reply #277
WMP definitely can't sort tracks by release date - it only takes the year part into account. So I would say that sorting albums by release date isn't possible either.

What if I use custom 1 and 2 tags? Would it be possible then?  
If yes then can you tell how do I edit these custom tags. Tag Editor Plus doesn't have the option

Reply #278
Yes, you could use the Custom 1/Custom 2 tags for individual tracks, but not for albums because WMP's Album view doesn't support those columns.

To edit these tags with Tag Editor Plus, go to the Advanced tab, right-click anywhere in the left column, select Add, and select UserCustom1 or UserCustom2. You can also edit these tags just like any other tag in WMP's detailed song view (right-click - Edit).

Reply #279
Awesome job on this addon!  On the topic of album sorting, is it at least possible to have the addon remember the sort order?  I have WMP sort by release year, but every time I open the app, it defaults to descending order.  I prefer ascending (oldest at the top), and would love if WMP Plus! would allow that setting to persist across sessions.  Thoughts?

Reply #280
Just out of curiosity, how did you set WMP to sort by release year? As far as I know, WMP doesn't just forget the ascending/descending order, but completely restores the default sort order each time, e.g. sorting by album name in Album view.

Unfortunately, I don't have any plans to add a feature that would persist custom sort ordering in WMP.

Reply #281
Ah, too bad.  Makes no sense why preferences like that wouldn't persist.  Boo Microsoft.

And sorry, I wasn't clear.  The release year sorting that I was referring to is within Artist view when you click into a specific artist.  That's where I was hoping to retain an ascending sort order instead of the default descending.

Reply #282
It's still not clear to me where you get this default sorting by release year. When I use WMP 12 on Windows 7 and go to a specific artist in Artist view, the artist's songs are sorted by album.

Reply #283
Sorry, apparently I'm not doing a good job communicating.  Going into an artist in Artist view does *group* the artist's songs by album, but the albums themselves are sorted by release year in descending order (most recent first).  The sort order of the songs within each album is by ascending track number, as one would expect.

It's a little strange because if I go into the Organize menu, then Sort by, nothing appears to be selected by default despite the clear sorting by release date.  If I click on "Release date", that's what reverses the sort order of the albums in the view to ascending, which is what I want.

Hope that makes sense.  If this isn't how your WMP works, I'm not sure what would be causing the difference.  Aside from installing your addon, I haven't done anything special in terms of configuration.  I'm running WMP 12 on Windows 10, but doubt that makes a difference.

Reply #284
Hmm, for me, the albums of a specific artist are always sorted alphabetically. If I then click on the Release *year* column, there's no grouping by album anymore but by year instead. There's no Release *date* column as far as I know. I don't know what could be the difference either...

I've also tried checking Include release date in default sort order (right-click on column and select Choose columns), but that showed the same behavior as sorting by Release year manually. Strange...

Reply #285
So weird.  To confirm, I do have Include release date in default sort order checked.  Neither the option above nor below that are checked.

Interestingly, I do not have a separate Release year column despite the fact that Release year is checked in the Choose Columns window, so I don't even have a column to click to quick-sort all the individual tracks by release year as you described.  The columns that display for me are Album (which contains the album art, album name, genre, and release year all together), Track number, Title, Length, Rating, Contributing artist, and Size.

Maybe the order of the checked items in the Choose Columns window has some effect on all this?  If you want to play with that, here's what mine is set to:

x  Album art
x  Track number
x  Title
x  Length
x  Rating
x  Contributing artist
x  Album
x  Genre
x  Release year
   Composer
x  Size
   Parental rating
   Album artist
x  Action

And the rest are unchecked.

Reply #286
Now it's clear to me: WMP also has a view mode that can be changed using the little arrow next to the Search field. I was in the Details view mode, while you're in Expanded tile mode according to your description.

After changing my view mode to Expanded tile, I indeed see the same behavior as you describe. Mystery solved :)

A small sidenote to make here, is that in Expanded tile mode, when there are tracks in a single album with a different Release year, then the album will be shown as multiple entries, each containing the tracks for a particular Release year.

Reply #287
plugin isn't compatible with the media player in windows 10 RS4 V1803 there is an error that says that wmp isn't installed properly.

Reply #288
Yes, this issue was already reported in this announcement, which also contains a download link to the beta version of Windows Media Player Plus! 2.10. That version should fix the issue.

Reply #289
Announcement: Windows Media Player Plus! 2.10 has gone out of beta and the final version is now available for download. As previously mentioned, this version fixes an error message on Windows Media Player startup in the Spring Creators Update of Windows 10. There are no additional new features or fixes compared to the beta version.

See the Version History page for a detailed list of what's new and what has been fixed since version 2.9.

Reply #290
WASAPI or ASIO output supported?   I don't see either term in the Version History.

Reply #291
This is a bugfix release, so no new functionality has been added. What exactly do you mean with WASAPI or ASIO output and why are you expecting it to be added?

Reply #292
WASAPIs allow the player to bypass the Windows mixer, allowing bit-exact output to the sound device (e.g., an AVR connected by HDMI) and muting all other sounds. ASIO is similar.

Reply #293
Important note about Windows 10: in more recent versions of Windows 10 (more specifically, since the April 2018 Update), there's a new setting in WMP called Write media information changes to files. By default, this setting is turned *off*, which means that any tag changes made in WMP won't be written back to file. This also applies to changes made with Tag Editor Plus, so it's highly recommended to turn that setting on - it can be found in Tools - Options - Library (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu).

I've also created a FAQ page for Windows Media Player Plus! and have put this same info there.

Reply #294
Is it possible create in WMP+ in the 'Detail view', WMP show a column the 'Resolution Video' or Wide-High Frame?
Thanks.

Reply #295
No, unfortunately that's not possible at the moment, sorry.

Reply #296
...a new setting in WMP called Write media information changes to files...
Curious, does this option write things like play count to the file?
Processed audio in java and python.

Reply #297
I haven't checked, but it's pretty safe to assume that it doesn't. WMP has never written play counts to file. The option only applies to info that WMP used to write to file by default.

Reply #298
I want to disable party shuffle playlist creation...

Reply #299
Disabling the creation of the Party Shuffle playlist isn't possible in the current version of the plug-in. However, it might become possible in a future version.