Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Batchconvert to .mkv (Read 4452 times) previous topic - next topic

Batchconvert to .mkv

can you recommend me a linux tool similar to mkvtoolnix-gui (script is also welcome), which allows lossless batchconversions to *.mkv while keeping the folderstructure intact?

unfortunately, with mkvtoolnix-gui, this does not seem to be possible.

Re: Batchconvert to .mkv

Reply #1
mkvtoolnix (without GUI) or ffmpeg (use `-c copy`).
You'll need to write a simple script to batch it, but it's easy. Maybe it's possible to take a shortcut by using it together with the find utility: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Find_(Unix)
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #2
You'll need to write a simple script to batch it, but it's easy.
hello magicgoose,

thank you for your input. i am quite certain this is peanuts for skilled people (like you?) ;)

on the other hand, i would not have asked for a software recommendation, if i could write a script like this on my own, don't you think so?

i guess this script turns out to be a bit more complex than a short one-liner...

-search for video formats in one specific folder
-check for mkv support
-batchconvert all possible matches (mkvmerge) while retaining the folderstructure of the source path
-list all non processed files

would be interresting to know, if anyone has done something similar already?

Reply #3
meanwhile, i got this (very) basic command that batchconverts to *.mkv: for file in *.mp4; do mkvmerge $file -o $file.mkv; done

actually, it does not work for filenames containing 'white spaces' though. i tried to modify but it fails.

can you help me improving it, so it will accept unix nonconform filename conventions, as well?

thank you!

Reply #4
for file in *.mp4; do mkvmerge "$file" -o "$file.mkv"; done

Maybe? Sorry realised it's not Windows but pretty sure you need to do it in bash as well.

Reply #5
works like charm, thank you so much.

in fact, i already tried this exact command, but used ' instead of ". not sure why it worked before?