Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Just had my first contact with an iPod (Read 29225 times) previous topic - next topic

Just had my first contact with an iPod

Oh my, it is so cool really, if i wanted one before, now i have to have it. Interface is so intuitive, it is a video ipod. So i watched videos, played photos. All so well designed. When i opened a folder with like 50 fotos, i used the click wheel to browse the fotos, and they loaded insntly, and i mean "now". It is really an excelent piece of hardware. I played "better man" from Robbie Williams, and it showed a picture of him. Only problem is that now i want a video iPod, instead of the nano, but i'm afraid it is not the best choice for jogging. Does de nano shows pictures?

Reply #1
At least Apple claims that it supports fotos and album art but doesn't support video.

Reply #2
Oh my, it is so cool really, if i wanted one before, now i have to have it. Interface is so intuitive, it is a video ipod. So i watched videos, played photos. All so well designed. When i opened a folder with like 50 fotos, i used the click wheel to browse the fotos, and they loaded insntly, and i mean "now". It is really an excelent piece of hardware. I played "better man" from Robbie Williams, and it showed a picture of him. Only problem is that now i want a video iPod, instead of the nano, but i'm afraid it is not the best choice for jogging. Does de nano shows pictures?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352836"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Take a deep breath now Kwanbis....

The nano does audio and photos, but equaliser distorts the music and it skips some LAME encoded MP3 files. 

The video ipod does video too, the equaliser works and it plays mp3 without stuttering, and the output can drive high impedance headphones,  but the user interface is significant slower than what you experienced on the nano. 

Both the nano and the video has an impressive resolution on their colour display. 
On the other side of the coin: Since the pixels are now so close, each scratch does relatively more damage than on the previous iPod's. 
A proper case with screen protection is therefore required with the new iPods - unless you want to put it in a museum. 

PS: I fell in love with the nano when I first tried it out. Its operation is outstanding and it plays loud and clear. I was simply stunned and for a moment I forgot its small drawbacks.

Now I have a video iPod, and when Apple get round to releasing a 2G nano without stuttering and one that doesn't scratch as easily, I buy one too.

Reply #3
Take a deep breath now Kwanbis....

ain't that easy

The nano does audio and photos, but equaliser distorts the music and it skips some LAME encoded MP3 files.  

The video ipod does video too, the equaliser works and it plays mp3 without stuttering, and the output can drive high impedance headphones,   but the user interface is significant slower than what you experienced on the nano.

so you are sure that even with the EQ turned on, the nano skips? but the video ipod does not skips with the EQ turned on? and how does the nano's distorts the music?

The video ipod does video too, the equaliser works and it plays mp3 without stuttering, and the output can drive high impedance headphones,   but the user interface is significant slower than what you experienced on the nano.

i tried a video ipod, not a nano, and the interface seemed ok.

Now I have a video iPod, and when Apple get round to releasing a 2G nano without stuttering and one that doesn't scratch as easily, I buy one too.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352848"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i don't know what to do really, i don't wanna buy a nano, and then apple releases a fixed one in a month  (any insider info on next release )

Reply #4
Honestly, how long could your eyes survive watching a movie on a itty bitty 2.5 inch screen? Get a portable media center (such as the zen vision) with a much bigger screen if you are serious about videos and movies. Get an iRiver, or a cowon iaudio x5 if you are serious about audio

Heh... To me, the ipod is nothing special. Its a good mp3 player, but there are so much better ones. Most people seem to just buy it because they dont know any other ones. (I was told a couple days ago that there were two brands of portable audio players: iPod, and MP3 -.-)
And if you believe theres not a chance to die...

Reply #5
i know many other ones, but:

1) iriver, have one, not very impresive, interface sucks.
2) iaudio, numbering scheme sucks, marketing sucks, but is my other option, don't know about interface

anyway, i'm considering a NANO, not the video iPod, cause i want it for jogging.

Reply #6
Only problem is that now i want a video iPod, instead of the nano, but i'm afraid it is not the best choice for jogging. Does de nano shows pictures?

Is watching video while jogging really a good idea?
I'm on a horse.

Reply #7
Is watching video while jogging really a good idea?

well, i actually do it on a gym, so i see no problem, anyway, i'm looking for a NANO, not VIDEO iPod.

Reply #8
1) iriver, have one, not very impresive, interface sucks.

iPod interface will also suck if your files aren't tagged properly ... and iPod sucks since you need third-party software to transfer/organise your music on it ...

Once I got used to my iRiver H120, I wouldn't have exchanged it for any iPod ... although the click wheel navigation with On-The-Go playlists is really impressive ...
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #9
Not to mention the gapless playback and other things that Rockbox added to the H1xx and H3xx now.

The iPod is a fine player but if I had to replace my H140 now it would probably be an iAudio X5.
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

Reply #10
The archos av3xx is amazing for video. Iv had mine for a while now, and they are great. Plays native DIVX/XVID video

Reply #11
PS: I fell in love with the nano when I first tried it out. Its operation is outstanding and it plays loud and clear. I was simply stunned and for a moment I forgot its small drawbacks

My friend has a nano. The only "small drawback" is that it's small enough to be considered a "concealled weapon".  It's cool, but ok we are just following Moore's Law? It's great if you are into "mini toy models" or couldn't care otherwise. I am slightly biased though if I was going to go with a DAP I would buy back an IRiver H140 after thoroughly inspecting the glorious firmware on the Rockbox, but that's just me. 

Heh... To me, the ipod is nothing special. Its a good mp3 player, but there are so much better ones. Most people seem to just buy it because they dont know any other ones.

Pretty much it's the same philosophy with Creative Labs 
budding I.T professional

Reply #12
so you are sure that even with the EQ turned on, the nano skips? but the video ipod does not skips with the EQ turned on? and how does the nano's distorts the music?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352855"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No, no, no.

The nano skips, but not when certain EQ settings are used such as Bass Reducer. However when using the nano EQ the sound may sound slightly distorted during loud parts of a song.

The video iPod is super in every respect, less the absence of gapless playback.

Reply #13
iPod interface will also suck if your files aren't tagged properly...
Do you know a player that doesn't have problems with badly tagged files? 
Anyway iTunes is great for tagging.
iPod sucks since you need third-party software to transfer/organise your music on it ...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352875"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
iTunes is really all you need to get trouble free music file administration and a great DAP listening experience.

Reply #14
as sehested said, all players suck if not properlly taged files are feeded. Also, apple is the only company offering a 4GB flash player. most flash players are 1gb, apple starts a 2. As i said, iaudio is my second choice. I'm still ooking at it.

Reply #15
Just got a 30GB iPod video to replace my old (but trustworthy) Nomad Jukebox 3. Lame MP3s all sound great, and I'm currently in the sloooooow process of converting DVDs to H.264 video. The screen is surprisingly watchable - I thought it would be a gimick. I'm excited about being able to actually WATCH my live NIN DVD instead of just listening to the CD version!

Nothing to add to this discussion really - just wanted to gloat

Reply #16
iPod interface will also suck if your files aren't tagged properly ... and iPod sucks since you need third-party software to transfer/organise your music on it ...

Amen!

Not to mention the gapless playback and other things that Rockbox added to the H1xx and H3xx now.

Halleluja!

Geez... I thought all of you had a DAP capable of running the Rockbox firmware and using the firmware with it

It's in my opinion the ultimate DAP solution. I can't wish for anything else; I have an IHP-140 with a slightly modified firmware. Gapless playback of all my favorite codecs (Ogg Vorbis, LAME MP3, MPC and FLAC), Replay Gain, and a customisable "While Playing Screen". Oh, and it can handle Replay Gain and APEv2 tags on my MP3's as well

Reply #17
Well ok but almost all of those benefits mentioned are derived from Rockbox firmware.
As I understand from it's wiki there's a versiom being developed for iPod.
I kinda think that it's easier to use  iTunes until Rockbox comes out than to hunt down discontinued Rio and iRiver models.
Anyway I mat be wrong, I have a 4G iPod but in my country there isn't much of a choise for HDD players: mostly Apple, Creative and rarely Sony.

Reply #18
as sehested said, all players suck if not properlly taged files are feeded. Also, apple is the only company offering a 4GB flash player. most flash players are 1gb, apple starts a 2. As i said, iaudio is my second choice. I'm still ooking at it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352895"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Except for ones like mine which utilise filetree navigation.

Reply #19
iTunes is really all you need to get trouble free music file administration and a great DAP listening experience.

But it is extremly slow on any computer thats not made within the last couple years ;O
And if you believe theres not a chance to die...

Reply #20
*yawns* what a useless topic of discussion. It only serves for eliciting zealot posts. You like iPod, good for you & enjoy it. Please try to post facts than biased opinions. After all, this is HA not Apple fan boards.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #21
The nano works very well for running.  I haven't had any problems with skipping.  I also don't miss the capacity of a larger ipod, as I'm seldom away from a computer with music for long.

The shuffle is also very nice for running.

Reply #22
We're going down a VERY familiar road here.  "ipod sucks" , "iriver navigation sucks", "ipods are the best".  In order to figure out which player is right for you, you need to figure out what your priorities are.

-sound quality?
-ease of use?
-freedom from third party software?
-memory size.

No player is perfect, and few of the top brands are BAD.  If you buy into the anti-ipod hype and care most about audio quality, then you might want to go with another player.  If you care mostly about interface, ipods are hard to beat.

Me? I'm undecided between an ipod video 60gb and an iaudio XL5 60gb.  Both have their strong points.  From what I understand, the XL5 has fantastic audio quality compared to the ipod.  Of course, I don't have an iuadio XL5 lying around to ABX for myself, so I have to go on the opinion of others.  But I want id3 browsing, even though as long as you have a well maintained file structure, the learning curve on any player should be easy. 
  Too bad the iriver H1-- series isn't around anymore.  I'd take one of those with rockbox any day!  Here's hoping it comes to the X5!!

Reply #23
no skipping with my nano, and all my files are 3.90 preset extreme or 3.96b1 vbrnew v0. 

my lossy collection alone is on the verge of becoming too big for even the largest ipod, so external hard drive + nano with well designed smart playlists is the way to go.

my last portable used filetree navigation, and tag-based navigation beats the snot out of it.  although if you've got the music collection but not the tags, it ain't easy.

loading up through itunes isn't all that bad, just keep a copy of ipodutil stored on the ipod itself in disk mode in case you ever need to copy your music off.

Reply #24
*yawns* what a useless topic of discussion. It only serves for eliciting zealot posts. You like iPod, good for you & enjoy it. Please try to post facts than biased opinions. After all, this is HA not Apple fan boards.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352919"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree.  There is no perfect player.  If there was there would be that one player and no others.  If people are happy with their iPods I'm happy for them.  Just like I'm happy with my machine.