Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: File operations - rename album folder to specific naming pattern? (Read 8164 times) previous topic - next topic

File operations - rename album folder to specific naming pattern?

Is there a function somewhere in foobar's file operations to rename an album's folder to be something like "%date% - %album%"? I've got about 50 folders that I would like to rename, each with an album. I couldn't find anything in the file operations menu. Can it be done?

Reply #1
So...do you know how title formatting works or don't you?

You've created enough threads around here that I'd sure hope you do by now.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #2
Why such a condescending post?
It's obvious I don't know everything, otherwise I wouldn't ask. I try to find answers to my problems on the forums like others... I'm just trying to learn more about foobar. If you have some problem with my posts, or if I'm not following some rules, you can always send me a PM.

Apart from this, if anybody has some information about my question, I would be happy to hear about it, thanks!

Reply #3
Set the "Destination Folder" in the FileOps dialog to point to your music library e.g. c:\music and the naming pattern to something with ".../%date% - %album%/...". For example:
%album artist%/%date% - %album%/[Disc %discnumber%/]%album artist% - %tracknumber% - %title%
This will create a folder structure like

Bob Marley
>1992 - Songs for Freedom
>>Disc 1
>>>...
>>>Bob Marley - 5 - One Love/People Get Ready.flac
>>>Bob Marley - 6 - Put It On.flac
>>>...
>>Disc 2
>>>...
>>Disc 3
>>>...
>>Disc 4
>>>...

Save this as a preset. Then select your tracks, right-click, choose fileops "Move To..." and your new created preset. In the appearing dialog select the options "Move entire folder content" for moving images and other files to your album folder and "Delete empty folders".

This should do, what you want.

Reply #4
Thanks very much!
My problem wasn't with not knowing how to use titleformatting... I was trying to put everything in the "Destination Folder" line like J:\Music\%date% - %album% which wasn't working at all. I didn't know you had to put that information on the "Naming Pattern" line.

Reply #5
ah. I suppose I can understand how you made that mistake. 

Still, The [...] button next to the Naming pattern line give you pre-made patterns. I would hope that would be enough of a hint. And if that wasn't enough help, I would hope your next action would be to click the help button, which should take you to this wiki article, which says:

Destination Folder: The root destination folder. You cannot use title formatting in this field, and the folder must already exist.

Basically, my frustration is I don't understand what we can do to make that dialog or the documentation any more clear so that someone like yourself so that you don't have to come asking on the forums and wait a whole day before someone gives you the reply you need.

For every person willing to ask questions there will be at least 10 that say, "Fuck it. This is too hard" and give up.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #6
this wiki article, which says:
Destination Folder: The root destination folder. You cannot use title formatting in this field, and the folder must already exist.

May be I'm missing something, but this is quite an unpleasant limitation, IMHO. Meaning I cannot rename the source directory without searching/typing-in 2nd-level-directory path in Destination Folder field.
We could just have a simple preset:
Destination Folder:$substr($directory_path(%path%),1,$strrchr($directory_path(%path%),\))  {parent directory path -2nd level}
File name pattern:\%album artist% - %album% '('%date%')'\%tracknumber% - %title%

shakey_snake may be you have some ideas/workarounds on how to rename the source folder if the destination path often different?
Thank you!

Re: File operations - rename album folder to specific naming pattern?

Reply #7
this wiki article, which says:
May be I'm missing something, but this is quite an unpleasant limitation, IMHO. Meaning I cannot rename the source directory without searching/typing-in 2nd-level-directory path in Destination Folder field.
We could just have a simple preset:
Destination Folder:$substr($directory_path(%path%),1,$strrchr($directory_path(%path%),\))   {parent directory path -2nd level}
File name pattern:\%album artist% - %album% '('%date%')'\%tracknumber% - %title%

shakey_snake may be you have some ideas/workarounds on how to rename the source folder if the destination path often different?
Thank you!

In case someone still needs to be able to rename a source folder without providing any path, here is the "file operations" setup:
move.
destination folder: \
source folder: $substr($directory_path(%path%),3,$strrchr($directory_path(%path%),\))\%album artist% - %album% '('%date%')'\\%filename_ext%
Then check "move entire source folder content" and "remove empty source folders".

It works on local drives.

Yes, it took me 6 years)

Reply #8
In case someone still needs to be able to rename a source folder without providing any path, here is the "file operations" setup:
move.
source folder: $substr($directory_path(%path%),3,$strrchr($directory_path(%path%),\))\%album artist% - %album% '('%date%')'\\%filename_ext%
Then check "move entire source folder content" and "remove empty source folders".

Yes, it took me 6 years)

Just registered to say thank you, Arabeh.
I replaced double backslash with just one backslash and replaced %filename_ext% with just %filename% (otherwise foobar was adding second file extension for some reason).

for me it's working like a charm!
too bad foobar has no support for relative destination path.

Reply #9
Works with mods above EXCEPT it seems to force the folder path onto C: drive (at least on my Windows 10 x64 system).

How could the instructions be modified to use the relative CURRENT drive where the folder path & files exist (without explicitly specifying a drive letter each time)?

Reply #10
Works with mods above EXCEPT it seems to force the folder path onto C: drive (at least on my Windows 10 x64 system).

How could the instructions be modified to use the relative CURRENT drive where the folder path & files exist (without explicitly specifying a drive letter each time)?

Sigh. You are right! The destination path won't use the current drive, I've just realized that :(
I guess, a feature update is the only solution. It seems that relative destination path is somewhat hard to implement.

@veksha thanks, but my method is flawed.

Reply #11
move.

Yes, it took me 6 years)
Thanks a lot for this !
It also works with network drives if you put \\ as destination folder.