Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_discogs (Read 1346826 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_discogs

Reply #2725
When I add an album, and select all the files in the the main FB2K playlist window, and right click, tagging, Discogs, the 'Update album/artist art' is greyed out, along with most of the other options. Same if I select the album folder in the file browser. Any clues?

Reply #2726
Do these files have proper tags, such as DISCOGS_RELEASE_ID, DISCOGS_ARTIST_ID?

Reply #2727
Thanks. No, I've never been really into tags, I just have "Artist - Album" folders with "Track number - Track title" files names within, has always been fine for me. I was just wondering if there was a way to get foo_discogs to automatically download the cover.jpg for all the folders, and apply it to the individual files, so it shows up in the cover art box when playing.

Hopefully a clearer description of exactly what I am trying to achieve will make it easier for people to let me know if foo_discogs can do this or not. I don't really want it to go automatically adding meta-data into my files (except for the cover art).

Reply #2728
Thanks. No, I've never been really into tags, I just have "Artist - Album" folders with "Track number - Track title" files names within, has always been fine for me. I was just wondering if there was a way to get foo_discogs to automatically download the cover.jpg for all the folders, and apply it to the individual files, so it shows up in the cover art box when playing.

Hopefully a clearer description of exactly what I am trying to achieve will make it easier for people to let me know if foo_discogs can do this or not. I don't really want it to go automatically adding meta-data into my files (except for the cover art).

foo_discogs needs to know which specific release to use for your cover art. If you don't have DISCOGS_RELEASE_ID in there already, you'll have to nominate the specific release in Discogs for each album you want to get the artwork for. If you have a look at releases on the Discogs site, you'll see that even different variants of an album may have different artwork. You can always use the Master release, but even then you'll have situations like an album and a single or EP with the same name by the same artist - not to mention multiple artists with the same name.

So if you want something to automatically download artwork, this component definitely won't be able to do that without your intervention.

I'd be surprised if anything can do it without explicit ID3 tags though. You'd have to at least setup some filter to identify the release by artist & album based on your folder structure - and that's potentially fairly ambiguous as mentioned above.

Reply #2729
When I add an album, and select all the files in the the main FB2K playlist window, and right click, tagging, Discogs, the 'Update album/artist art' is greyed out, along with most of the other options. Same if I select the album folder in the file browser. Any clues?

So, if you ONLY want to get the artwork from Discogs, you can configure the component to fetch the album artwork and save it as cover.jpg in the folder with the album files (this should be standard behaviour but it's in the Artwork tab of the configuration), and you can literally set ALL of the tag mappings to Disabled (see attachment).
Then you can set a keyboard shortcut for Tagging -> Discogs -> Write Tags. You will still get a dialog where you'll have to search for the artist and then select the release, but then the only thing that will happen is that the artwork is downloaded.

As others have mentioned, the artwork will NOT be embedded. You'll have to do that with something else like foo_run (I've never done this...)

Reply #2731
I am trying to fill multi-value tag, creating an array from the string with the split function. But function also returns initial string as a first element of the array. What am I doing wrong?

I already tried the synthetic example and get the same behaviour: $split('aaa, bbb, ccc') -> aaa, bbb, ccc; aaa; bbb; ccc

Reply #2732
Anyways,
I removed track no. 3 from the Tracklist (out of the Match tracks window),
but the fine component throws the error again.

We discussed this "greedy feature" some time ago, the fine component fetches ALL information from the DB, also if it is not needed (user removed tracks, so those artists shoudnt be fetched (saves bits&bytes&time&bandwith...).
Example: For a Various Artists Album with 100 Tracks on 5 CDs, where you only want to tag the last 20 Tracks, the fine component fetches ALL the artist info, which takes ages to finish and needlessly "stresses" the database.
foo_discogs only fetches info that is used by the tag formatting strings. Some of the tag formatting strings are fetching the artists of the other tracks on the release. This would be cached for subsequent tracks. :-)
Thanks zoomorph,
your explanation makes sense and seems desirable to me,
but I don't understand, why 58 artists (see screenshots below) are fetched (cache tells me so), when I only fetch a single track with a single artist.

To end the confusion,
please let me show, what I am doing, so maybe we can figure out, what is wrong (with my thinking) :-)

attachment 1:
I start f2k, cache is empty.

attachment 2:
the used formatting strings. (very simple, no fanc
Anyways,
I removed track no. 3 from the Tracklist (out of the Match tracks window),
but the fine component throws the error again.

We discussed this "greedy feature" some time ago, the fine component fetches ALL information from the DB, also if it is not needed (user removed tracks, so those artists shoudnt be fetched (saves bits&bytes&time&bandwith...).
Example: For a Various Artists Album with 100 Tracks on 5 CDs, where you only want to tag the last 20 Tracks, the fine component fetches ALL the artist info, which takes ages to finish and needlessly "stresses" the database.
foo_discogs only fetches info that is used by the tag formatting strings. Some of the tag formatting strings are fetching the artists of the other tracks on the release. This would be cached for subsequent tracks. :-)
Thanks zoomorph,
your explanation makes sense and seems desirable to me,
but I don't understand, why 58 artists (see screenshots below) are fetched (cache tells me so), when I only fetch a single track with a single artist.

To end the confusion,
please let me show, what I am doing, so maybe we can figure out, what is wrong (with my thinking) :-)

attachment 1:
I start f2k, cache is empty.

attachment 2:
the used formatting strings. (very simple, no fancy stuff.)

attachment 3:
I select only the first song of this release

attachment 4:
after the fine component has done its job, this is what the cache tells.

So it is correct, that 58 artists are fetched, when only one single is needed?
(or maybe I left some formatting string in the config, which leads to fetch all the artists? If so, which one?)

(sorry, I cannot figure out how to place the attached screenshots into this post, so the numbering. It seems my broswer cannot drag&drop the attachments into this post.)

y stuff.)

attachment 3:
I select only the first song of this release

attachment 4:
after the fine component has done its job, this is what the cache tells.

So it is correct, that 58 artists are fetched, when only one single is needed?
(or maybe I left some formatting string in the config, which leads to fetch all the artists? If so, which one?)

(sorry, I cannot figure out how to place the attached screenshots into this post, so the numbering. It seems my broswer cannot drag&drop the attachments into this post.)

If you view the console while doing this you'll see that only 1 artist is loaded. I believe the other 58 are stubs created from the release information, but it's not actually loading any info for those artists other than what comes with the release information. :-)

Reply #2733
I am trying to fill multi-value tag, creating an array from the string with the split function. But function also returns initial string as a first element of the array. What am I doing wrong?

I already tried the synthetic example and get the same behaviour: $split('aaa, bbb, ccc') -> aaa, bbb, ccc; aaa; bbb; ccc
Looks like a bug in foo_discogs where $split returns full string as first element of array. Attached dll fixes it, next release (no clue when that will be) will also contain the fix.

Reply #2734
Thank you for your attention, zoomorph!

Reply #2735
Can we retrieve information under the Companies, etc. section? Thanks!

Reply #2736
Hello anybody :=)

I'm having trouble getting a $unique() working with a single mp3file and this realease.

After tagging, the tag of the single file looks like this:
Code: [Select]
Artist Name : Chevron / Chevron  Chevron  Chevron
Track Title : Alsation Doorstep / The Battle Of Tasting / Pikies / I'm On Benefits For You
Track Title is ok, but Artist Name should be Chevron, IMHO, because its the same artist.

The Formatting String in the Tag Mappings I use, is:
$ifequal(%TRACK_TOTAL_HIDDEN_TRACKS%,0,$joinnames(%<ARTISTS_NAME>%,%<ARTISTS_JOIN>%),$join($unique($array($joinnames(%<ARTISTS_NAME>%,%<ARTISTS_JOIN>%),$joinnames(%<TRACK_HIDDEN_TRACKS_ARTISTS_NAME>%,%<TRACK_HIDDEN_TRACKS_ARTISTS_JOIN>%))),' / '))

I have tried other combinations, but I don't get it to work so the result is:
Artist Name : Chevron
and not

Any help will be tolerated :-))

Reply #2738
Hello anybody :=)

I'm having trouble getting a $unique() working with a single mp3file and this realease.

After tagging, the tag of the single file looks like this:
Track Title : Alsation Doorstep / The Battle Of Tasting / Pikies / I'm On Benefits For You
Track Title is ok, but Artist Name should be Chevron, IMHO, because its the same artist.

The Formatting String in the Tag Mappings I use, is:
$ifequal(%TRACK_TOTAL_HIDDEN_TRACKS%,0,$joinnames(%<ARTISTS_NAME>%,%<ARTISTS_JOIN>%),$join($unique($array($joinnames(%<ARTISTS_NAME>%,%<ARTISTS_JOIN>%),$joinnames(%<TRACK_HIDDEN_TRACKS_ARTISTS_NAME>%,%<TRACK_HIDDEN_TRACKS_ARTISTS_JOIN>%))),' / '))

I have tried other combinations, but I don't get it to work so the result is:
Artist Name : Chevron
and not

Any help will be tolerated :-))
This works, are you trying to change it for some other purpose?
$ifequal(%TRACK_TOTAL_HIDDEN_TRACKS%,0,$joinnames(%<ARTISTS_NAME>%,%<ARTISTS_JOIN>%),$join($unique($extend($array($joinnames(%<ARTISTS_NAME>%,%<ARTISTS_JOIN>%)),$joinnames(%<<TRACK_HIDDEN_TRACKS_ARTISTS_NAME>>%,%<<TRACK_HIDDEN_TRACKS_ARTISTS_JOIN>>%))),' / '))[/quote]

Reply #2741
This works, are you trying to change it for some other purpose?
$ifequal(%TRACK_TOTAL_HIDDEN_TRACKS%,0,$joinnames(%<ARTISTS_NAME>%,%<ARTISTS_JOIN>%),$join($unique($extend($array($joinnames(%<ARTISTS_NAME>%,%<ARTISTS_JOIN>%)),$joinnames(%<<TRACK_HIDDEN_TRACKS_ARTISTS_NAME>>%,%<<TRACK_HIDDEN_TRACKS_ARTISTS_JOIN>>%))),' / '))[/quote]
Thank you zoomorph,
so $extend() is responsible that $unique() finally works as I like! Thanks for pointing out!!

Can we retrieve information under the Companies, etc. section? Thanks!
Example:
$zip(%<RELEASE_COMPANIES_ENTITY_TYPE_NAME>%,' ',%<RELEASE_COMPANIES_NAME>%)
Thanks again, also for the Example.
1 Example is worth a 1000 words :-)

Reply #2742
Hello,

today must one of these days....

I'm not getting a "Band" tag from the fine component! From this release: https://www.discogs.com/Freddy-Quinn-Ein-Konzert-Mit-Dem-Orchester-Bert-Kaempfert/release/10624136

It is coming via API: https://api.discogs.com/releases/10624136 (See Band.PNG)

My formatting string (copied from a working one of my setup)
$puts(ROLE,Band)[$flatten($multi_if($any($multi_strcmp($sextend(%<<TRACK_CREDITS_SHORT_ROLES>>%,%<<RELEASE_CREDITS_SHORT_ROLES>>%),$get(ROLE))),$multi_if($put(aj,$sextend(%<<TRACK_CREDITS_ARTISTS_JOIN>>%,%<<RELEASE_CREDITS_ARTISTS_JOIN>>%)),$joinnames($put(an,$sextend(%<<TRACK_CREDITS_ARTISTS_NAME>>%,%<<RELEASE_CREDITS_ARTISTS_NAME>>%)),$get(aj)),$get(an)),))]

But I still don't get anything. (f2k 1.4.6, component 2.20)

Debug in "Preview tags" shows [,,,,,,] (see DebugView.png)

When I change the "Band" to "Engeneer", I get correct info of Engeneer, so the formatting String is correct.

Any Ideas?

Reply #2743
Hello,

I'm not getting a "Band" tag from the fine component! From this release: https://www.discogs.com/Freddy-Quinn-Ein-Konzert-Mit-Dem-Orchester-Bert-Kaempfert/release/10624136

$puts(ROLE,Band)[$flatten($multi_if($any($multi_strcmp($sextend(%<<TRACK_CREDITS_SHORT_ROLES>>%,%<<RELEASE_CREDITS_SHORT_ROLES>>%),$get(ROLE))),$multi_if($put(aj,$sextend(%<<TRACK_CREDITS_ARTISTS_JOIN>>%,%<<RELEASE_CREDITS_ARTISTS_JOIN>>%)),$joinnames($put(an,$sextend(%<<TRACK_CREDITS_ARTISTS_NAME>>%,%<<RELEASE_CREDITS_ARTISTS_NAME>>%)),$get(aj)),$get(an)),))]

When I change the "Band" to "Engeneer", I get correct info of Engeneer, so the formatting String is correct.

Any Ideas?
Strange, your example works for me. Maybe the tag is getting overwritten or cleared after it is written?

Ah, I see someone edited the page 6 days ago. Prior to that the way the credits were written was wrong so they probably weren't getting parsed correctly.

Reply #2744
Hello,

Any Ideas?
Strange, your example works for me. Maybe the tag is getting overwritten or cleared after it is written?

Ah, I see someone edited the page 6 days ago. Prior to that the way the credits were written was wrong so they probably weren't getting parsed correctly.

Zoomorph, you say, It is working for you, so you are getting a band tag? with this formatting string?

I still not getting a band tag.

I see the "band" role in the API, but it gets not written to the tags.

And I double checked, I do not overwrite it via another formatting string:

I re-tested with a fresh install f2k 1.4.6 or 1.5b10 and only v2.20 of your fine component. Thats strange...

Reply #2745
Hi zoomorph,

First, thank you for continuing the development of that Foobar plugin, it probably is the best option to get the most metadata from Discogs nowadays.

I do vinyl restoration regularly and I was thinking about writing matrix / runout infos in audio files, I'm guessing it's not implemented in the plugin at the moment? I tested the "barcode" field for CDs and this works great though.

Seems like the field for vinyl is called "Matrix / Runout" in the Discogs API.

Reply #2746
Hi zoomorph,

First, thank you for continuing the development of that Foobar plugin, it probably is the best option to get the most metadata from Discogs nowadays.

I do vinyl restoration regularly and I was thinking about writing matrix / runout infos in audio files, I'm guessing it's not implemented in the plugin at the moment? I tested the "barcode" field for CDs and this works great though.

Seems like the field for vinyl is called "Matrix / Runout" in the Discogs API.
Correct, it's currently not available in foo_discogs. There can be multiple Matrix / Runout variants for a single release. Not sure how this should be handled.

Reply #2747
how to force the plugin to add a "0" digit if the tracks are numbered like on the CD?
etc

i havent been tagging for some time and i cant remember where and how to make it :(

i have a command like this:
VINYLTRACK -- > %TRACK_DISCOGS_TRACK_NUMBER%

Reply #2748
Is it necessary to have a Discogs Account in order to use this plugin?

Reply #2749
After locating the correct album release from Discogs a lot of metadata is written/updated which is great.  However the "Track Name" of the track is not. I believe this is the actual file name. The "Title" of the track is updated but not the "Track Name"/File Name as it appears in the file tree in Foobar2K and as it appears in the file tree on windows 10.  The "Track Name"/File Name appears as "01 Track1", after clicking on "01 Track 1" in the Foobar2K file tree the "Track Title" in the metadata appears as "Phonograph Blues".  Is there a way to get the "Track Name"/File Name as displayed in the file tree to be updated?  I looked at the Discogs tag mappings and there is not an option for File Name.